hey ive been hearing good things about the higher end line 6 amps and was wondering are the flextone and the vetta the same thing other than more pressets effects and models
They are completly different although some of the presets and effects are the same. For future reference just check out their website at www.line6.com
"Its not how many years you are playing its how many hours"
Line 6's quality is directly associated with their prices. The HD-147 and Vetta are great amps. The Vetta is basically a computer, you can download more patches to it for more tones, and there are a few patches that take away the fizzlyness and give you an even more tubelike tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Line 6 look like a very good brand nowadays with their Variaxes, Spider Amps and Pods. I'd really like to get my hands on a Toneport, a Pod and a Spider Valve Head

The Spider valve series comes out early next year here and they look absolutely amazing!!
Its literally a spider III + a Bogner tube amp in one, the Spider Valve head is really cheap too, $1700AUD.

Also the Pocket Pod, Pod X3, Pod X3 LIVE and Bass Pod X3 LIVE Floorboard come out at the same time.

Digital Effects, way of the future....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Quote by dunda130
The Spider valve series comes out early next year here and they look absolutely amazing!!
Its literally a spider III + a Bogner tube amp in one, the Spider Valve head is really cheap too, $1700AUD.

The Spider Valve has been out for at least a month. Maybe you guys don't get them till then... I haven't heard a single good thing about them yet though...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Say Ocean
vetta=overpriced and not very good

You gotta spend a good while behind the wheel of that thing. I probably spent an hour just cycling through 1 amp and EQing the ones that stood out. Another hour dialing in another amp in conjunction with the first one.

There are mods to really make it worth the dough but I would love to own one as they are.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
Eh, there are many amps in that price range I would have first.

I think they're worth it for the price. But you can find better deals when buying used. My Roadking for example, $2,400 amp for $1,700, much better than a Vetta. If I were to buy used, it would have been between the HD-147 and randall V2 but the Vetta would have remained an option.

They're a bit tooo much fun to play around with IMO.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Oh and I have a flextone for $700 its an awesome amp now granted I'd rather buy a high end tube but if your on a budget there great. You can hear how they sound in my profile just go through all my songs/skills I tweak my tone alot so you can hear a few different settings I used. Just keep in mind that I recorded through a cheap mic so it will sound a bit better when your actaully using it live.
I'd love to have a Vetta...but it's well out of my price range. I'd love to have a nice, small valve combo for studio recording a little more than a Vetta, and the particular combo that I'd buy is cheaper. I'd consider a Flextone in the future, though, just for the versatility. Or maybe a good modelling unit and one of those Atomic Reactor valve power amp combo thingies.
line 6s upper models are extremely nice but for the price you can get tube amps that will sound better imo, ive heard the spider valve and wasnt impressed, just another hybrid amp, the cleans were stale and the distortion was kinda muddy, maybe if i could play with the eq a tad my opinion would change
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
line 6s upper models are extremely nice but for the price you can get tube amps that will sound better imo, ive heard the spider valve and wasnt impressed, just another hybrid amp, the cleans were stale and the distortion was kinda muddy, maybe if i could play with the eq a tad my opinion would change

Yeah, but it depends on what you play. If you're someone like me, you could easily get away with just a single amp (which I am looking to do once I have enough money to get a decent recording rig) but some people need several sounds, for example a Fender Bassman, Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi, JCM800 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. To buy all those amps seperately would cost, at least over here, several thousands of pounds, wheras they could probably get away with using a Vetta to cover all of those tones, and the people listening to their music probably wouldn't notice that they were using SS amps at all because the Vetta is actually quite good sounding.

Of course, people like you and me might notice because we know the difference between the sounds created by SS and valve amps, but this is a high end SS amp, so it's not as noticable as it is with, say, the Spiders or the Marshall MGs and stuff like that.
Quote by Denthúl
Yeah, but it depends on what you play. If you're someone like me, you could easily get away with just a single amp (which I am looking to do once I have enough money to get a decent recording rig) but some people need several sounds, for example a Fender Bassman, Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi, JCM800 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. To buy all those amps seperately would cost, at least over here, several thousands of pounds, wheras they could probably get away with using a Vetta to cover all of those tones, and the people listening to their music probably wouldn't notice that they were using SS amps at all because the Vetta is actually quite good sounding.

Of course, people like you and me might notice because we know the difference between the sounds created by SS and valve amps, but this is a high end SS amp, so it's not as noticable as it is with, say, the Spiders or the Marshall MGs and stuff like that.

You make a valid point with the cost factor there. But I would still have concerns about any digital amp. There is almost no going back if the thing gets broken. It's also occurred to me that if you're downloading patches for sounds onto your amp, you're surely going to 'run out of room' at some point. Then what do you do? Do you buy another amp to satisfy your needs? When buying a Vetta, I would have to seriously consider whether the versatility I was paying for is better than one decent tube amp that could do several tones very well. And as you say, ultimately, if you're recording, any normal listener probably couldn't tell the difference through sound alone. It's only us tone fiends, engineers and the occasional observant spectator that would delight in the magic of an AC30.

In fact, if you stuck a Spider 3 and an AC30 next to each other, without switching either on, I bet somebody who knew nothing about guitar would say the Spider 3 was the pricier amp, because of the onboard effects etc. Interesting thought.
That's all very true. But on record, a listener would be able to tell the difference between an AC30 cranked and a Mesa Dual Rectifier cranked. I know that the chances of using those two sounds on the same record are slim, but that's what I was trying to get at. I understand that in most cases a good valve amp will come out on top, but when it comes to being that versatile a lot of them just can't do it. True, it's difficult to repair a digital amp when it is broken, but sometimes it's worth the risk.

And I also understand that there are some pretty versatile valve amps out there, and if I were in a position to choose between one of those and the Vetta, I'd pick the valve amp. But some people may still want more than that (or not care too much for valve tone) and that's where these modellers come in. I bet that if Line 6 were to reduce the Vetta in price by, say, £400 then they'd become a lot more popular and the price would be a lot easier to justify.

For me, a modelling amp like the Flextone or Vetta wouldn't see too much use, because if I ever get into music in a professional way I have this one tone in my head that I would have, and I know exactly which amp that would come from. But then again, every now and then I like to do something different, using many different sounds on the same song. Now, this cannot be enough to justify, in my case, the cost of a Vetta or a couple of other valve amps from which I would get the different sounds I would want, but the Flextone would be perfect for that sort of thing because of its price.

And finally...here's something I find interesting (and silly). Lots of people buy the 150 watt Spider III (I know about four people who went out and bought these). Now, on GAK, you can get these for £274 but the Flextone III is only £21 dearer! WTF?!
Well, I was comparing a digital amp to an AC30, so there's more of a difference between an AC30 and a Dual Recto.

And another silly fact is that a Marshall MG half stack, two Crate SS half stacks, and two Spider 3's are the top 5 selling amps on Musicians Friend, while the top selling guitars are Gibson LP Standard, LP Vintage, a Custom Shop ES339, and er..a $25,000 EVH strat....which...doesn't make sense..
yeh.. line6 are pretty good..

still i'm in love with marshall :P
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Don_Humpador
Well, I was comparing a digital amp to an AC30, so there's more of a difference between an AC30 and a Dual Recto.

And another silly fact is that a Marshall MG half stack, two Crate SS half stacks, and two Spider 3's are the top 5 selling amps on Musicians Friend, while the top selling guitars are Gibson LP Standard, LP Vintage, a Custom Shop ES339, and er..a $25,000 EVH strat....which...doesn't make sense..

Oh, right...sorry... I misread and thought you meant that listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between two amps like the AC30 and Dual Rectifier. My mistake

And yeah, that's one of the things that bugs me. People need to start really listening to us when we say that playing a good guitar through a crap amp will just give you crap tone, and so you might as well be playing a plank of MDF with a couple of strings on it.
Quote by Denthúl
Oh, right...sorry... I misread and thought you meant that listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between two amps like the AC30 and Dual Rectifier. My mistake

And yeah, that's one of the things that bugs me. People need to start really listening to us when we say that playing a good guitar through a crap amp will just give you crap tone, and so you might as well be playing a plank of MDF with a couple of strings on it.

Ah, no problem

I would've thought the words 'Spider 3' and 'Vox AC30' would have given it away though

And yes, people are idiotz.
Quote by Say Ocean
vetta=overpriced and not very good

Vetta = the most versatile amp ever

I think $1800 is a very reasonable price for 74 amps and about 50 effects of top quality.

For example, I play lots of styles and to get the sounds I want I'd have to buy lots of different tube amps I can't afford or even store at home ^^'
So this is the best solution.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Mahoru

I think $1800 is a very reasonable price for 74 amps and about 50 effects of top quality.

For example, I play lots of styles and to get the sounds I want I'd have to buy lots of different tube amps I can't afford or even store at home ^^'

+1
"Its not how many years you are playing its how many hours"
Quote by Mahoru

Or alternatively, buy any half decent tube amp and use nice pedals to get there. And don't use a comeback of 'Oh, the Vetta's effects and amp models are probably better anyway', because that would be a plain lie.
subjectivity subjectivity subjectivity. no need to argue.

anyway... so spider valve: all-tube or hybrid?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well...it has a valve preamp, and a valve power amp...but there's some solid state stuff in there too. So...I have no idea
Quote by dunda130
Line 6 look like a very good brand nowadays with their Variaxes, Spider Amps and Pods. I'd really like to get my hands on a Toneport, a Pod and a Spider Valve Head

Why would you want a Pod AND a Spider head? That's just digital overkill really. A Pod is basically all the digital stuff from the Spiders in pedal form.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by Denthúl
Well...it has a valve preamp, and a valve power amp...but there's some solid state stuff in there too. So...I have no idea

ha i see. i'd suppose it's all tube then... just with a little extra haah.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The POD has better software than Spiders, btw. I believe some POD's have the same as Vetta.
vettas are good amps, just overpriced really, and honestly they confuse me, i stick to flextones and hd147s when im messing with line 6, and their pedals, i love there stuff but honestly id buy alot of it used, it marks down alot used
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210