I saw an ad on craigslist for a Vox AC30 + 4x12 cab and decided that I might as well get my dream amp now instead waiting ages or spending lots of money mimicking an AC30 with pedals, speaker changes etc. So I sold my Classic 50 as fast as I could and bought the Vox for $800. It was somewhat of an impulse buy but I definitely don't see myself getting any buyer's remorse. And if I do I'll just sell it for what I paid anyway (buying used is great).

It is pretty much superior to my Classic 50 in every way and this is probably the amp that I'll be playing for a long long time. The only thing that I miss about my Classic was the reverb which I found more useful than the Vox's reverb. My mustang sounds absolutely gorgeous through this amp when it's on the verge of breaking up. It's no Ric, but it is pretty damn chimey and about as close as I'll get to one without forking out $1300. I'm definitely going to have a lot of fun playing around with the settings over the next couple of days
I got this package with the intention of selling the cab and buying a 2x12, but I'm really starting to enjoy standing in front of a cranked halfstack But I'm wondering if you guys think that a 2x12 would suit me better for what I need (jamming, practices and small gigs) Or maybe an extra 112 cab when I need to be portable

pros of 4x12:
It makes look like a rock star

cons of a 4x12:
I'm not a rock star
It says, "Why yes, I do have a small penis."
Pretty heavy
I now hate staircases with a passion

And I'm also looking for an a/b/y box now. Suggestions anyone? So far I'm liking the Radial Tonebone ABY Passive switcher because of its tuner out, but if another box would have less of an impact on my sound I'd rather go with that.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Oct 30, 2007,
that's a sick setup man, congrats. That's one on my list of future acquisitions for sure. I really like the idea of it being a 4x12 too, that's pretty sick. Is it open back, or semi open back?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
sweeet dude, thats awesome,

i got a vox ac30 head as well, cept i use mine with a marshall 4 12 cab instead,

this is by far the coolest amp ever,

if you wanted a 2 12 you shoulda just got the combo! 4 12 is ballsier hands down, plus it looks hella rad,

alllsssooo, i just use my neck pickup with a volume rolled off, set the amp at highest gain, it gives you a sweet clean but not too clean, with just enough grit and breakup when you play it hard, then for all out overdrive kick it back to full volume on the bridge pickup...thats how i do.

ive never tried an aby with this amp, let me know how it goes when you get one,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Last edited by ark at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by Erock503
that's a sick setup man, congrats. That's one on my list of future acquisitions for sure. I really like the idea of it being a 4x12 too, that's pretty sick. Is it open back, or semi open back?

This cab has a closed back, which I was kinda iffy about. It seems ok and it and can get that signature AC30 sound so I'm happy with it for now. I would like to try an open back 212 with it and compare them because its been awhile since I played the combo in a store and I can't really say for sure which I prefer.

And I'm loving the way this amp cleans up with the voume knob^
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
wow nice! great find
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Congrats on a great amp at a great price!

If it were me, I'd hold onto the Vox 4x12 until I could afford (or find used) a Vox 2x12 with the signature Celestion Blues. Why downgrade to a 2x12 when you can upgrade to one?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
That is one sexy amp, good job Buckwheat!

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Quote by Defunkt
That is one sexy amp, good job Buckwheat!

I was afraid that no one would notice that

^And I guess that I'll hold onto this cab for at least a month or however long it takes me to really get to know this amp.

Any input on an a/b/y?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
nice i love vox amps with a passion, i got the ac15cc1, i'd like an AC30 but even this gives me the sexual healing

i also like the fact vox amps sound a lot like some of the earlier Marshalls yet are unique in their own way. Probably the best classic british amp i'd say.
^ooo jcm 800....

you can probably find a nice used ac30 head or combo for pretty cheap, its a gift from heaven having such a great amp for such a great price.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
beautiful! i'm trading my Deluxe Reverb for one of those.

not to hijack your thread, but is the head 8 ohms?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^Mine is switchable between 8 and 16
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
^Mine is switchable between 8 and 16

ah thank you much sir.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45