Im desperate to start recording at home but I wont have enough money to buy my desired amp for a while which means I'm stuck with my current one for a while which isn't record-worthy, so I was thinking of getting one of the direct recording products put out by line 6, but heres where I became stuck; which one do I get, Iv search numerous times and cant seem to find any direct comparison between the Guitarport, Toneports and the PODs.

I'm looking for moderately high quality sounding product with lots of options and modifications for under $350-400 (US$).

Really I'm just looking for a comparison between those products because from what Iv read they really seem virtually identical to me ..If this has been discussed then could some one link me up ..

Thanks.
Last edited by Twone at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by Say Ocean
I've heard many many many good clips made with PODxt's. Even if you were to get a good amp, with the bad recording set up you would undoubtedly have, the PODxt would sound loads better.

Awesome, thanks for your input mate!

Would you happen to know anything of the quality of the other options? Like the UX1/2 of the toneport or the guitarport?
I'd definitely pick up a copy of Guitar Rig. There's a new version out so the last one (Guitar Rig 2) will have gone right down in price. It's also more flexible and easier to use than any POD-type device, and sounds very convincing! You could download the demo now to decide whether it's worth your hard-earned cash....

If you want to save money I think they also do a stripped-down version called Guitar Combos which includes a Plexi, AC30 and Fender Twin with various pedals and effects. It sounds the business, too!
All you need in terms of hardware is a little 1/4">3.5mm adaptor which costs about $1. You might also need a freeware program called ASIO4ALL, but that's about it.
Quote by Say Ocean
Nope never tried them, I'm sure I've heard a clip you can find one on the internet but I just don't remember. I'll pull some POD clips for you though hold on

Alright, thanks.

Quote by kyle62
I'd definitely pick up a copy of Guitar Rig. There's a new version out so the last one (Guitar Rig 2) will have gone right down in price. It's also more flexible and easier to use than any POD-type device, and sounds very convincing! You could download the demo now to decide whether it's worth your hard-earned cash....

If you want to save money I think they also do a stripped-down version called Guitar Combos which includes a Plexi, AC30 and Fender Twin with various pedals and effects. It sounds the business, too!
All you need in terms of hardware is a little 1/4">3.5mm adaptor which costs about $1. You might also need a freeware program called ASIO4ALL, but that's about it.

Hmm, I had Guitar Rig 2, and it sounded pretty bad to be honest, I dont know why but the sound quality was average and Id get tons of feedback, and when i turned the volume knobs down on my guitar, Id get this really loud hissing noise. You ever experienced anything like that? Ill give the demo of the new one a go ..

Thing is I also tried out amplitude LE and Id also get the hissing noise, so I thought I might give the hardware based amp emulators ago since the purely software ones weren't working ..

Ill give guitar combos a shot as well. Whats ASIO4ALL for? Iv heard of that before ..
Quote by Say Ocean
Clicking on links isn't working on my comp right now I'll get you some clips tomorrow

Wierd thanks anyway. You can tell me the site where you found them, unless the link to the site is whats not working ..

By the way, have you ever tried/heard the less expensive PODs? Like the 2.0 or the Pocket POD?
Quote by Twone
Alright, thanks.

Hmm, I had Guitar Rig 2, and it sounded pretty bad to be honest, I dont know why but the sound quality was average and Id get tons of feedback, and when i turned the volume knobs down on my guitar, Id get this really loud hissing noise. You ever experienced anything like that? Ill give the demo of the new one a go ..

Thing is I also tried out amplitude LE and Id also get the hissing noise, so I thought I might give the hardware based amp emulators ago since the purely software ones weren't working ..

Ill give guitar combos a shot as well. Whats ASIO4ALL for? Iv heard of that before ..

Lol yeah, if you don't set your computer up right it won't work too well. With a bit of tweaking you can get some amazing sounds though! Especially so if you turn on the 'High Res' option... I'd download the demo and see if you can get it properly set up, the most important bit is to turn your sondcard input down so you don't end up with too much gain.

ASIO4all is an ASIO driver for cheaper/older soundcards that don't support it otherwise - I'm not sure exactly how ASIO works, but basically it reduces the latency so there's no 'lag' between playing and hearing the note.

However if you don't feel like the messing about, go for a POD 2.0 or XT, which is a great compromise. The X3 is particularly nice, but a bit pricey...have a listen to these sound clips and you might think it's worth it though!
Quote by kyle62
Lol yeah, if you don't set your computer up right it won't work too well. With a bit of tweaking you can get some amazing sounds though! Especially so if you turn on the 'High Res' option... I'd download the demo and see if you can get it properly set up, the most important bit is to turn your sondcard input down so you don't end up with too much gain.

ASIO4all is an ASIO driver for cheaper/older soundcards that don't support it otherwise - I'm not sure exactly how ASIO works, but basically it reduces the latency so there's no 'lag' between playing and hearing the note.

However if you don't feel like the messing about, go for a POD 2.0 or XT, which is a great compromise. The X3 is particularly nice, but a bit pricey...have a listen to these sound clips and you might think it's worth it though!

Hmm I messed around with some of the setting, increased the latency up full and managed to get a half a decent sound out of the thing. Although it still doesnt sound as nice as the clips you sent me ..Ill try to tweak guitar rig some more in the hope i do get something nice out of it.

I have ASIO4ALL, but ill update it since the lag was huge on guitar rig ..

My problems with it might come from having a sh-itty sound card, in case you know anything about these things, do you think the PODs will have a problem with that or might they serve as their own sound card?
there are clips and videos of the pod xt on the line 6 site
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
I have a Toneport UX2, and it is pretty versatile.

The only qualm with it that I have is that you can only record 2 inputs at a time, which kind of hampers the creativity sometimes.

Are you just going to be recording guitar?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I use a Guitarport, and I am fixing to move up to a PodXT Live ($399 USD) pretty soon. I genuinely love the sound I get, and the fact I can get a vast variety of sounds from the Gearbox Software. Only schtick is that the Toneport and Guitarport hardware isn't as portable as the Pod lines.

As musicfreak003 said, check out the Line 6 website for some clips and more infos. Plus checkout some reviews from the products.

http://www.line6.com
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Quote by Twone
Wierd thanks anyway. You can tell me the site where you found them, unless the link to the site is whats not working ..

By the way, have you ever tried/heard the less expensive PODs? Like the 2.0 or the Pocket POD?

go to www.acapella.harmony-central.com click on the amp forum and click on search this forum. Type in "drumjam" as one word, tons of people post clips over drum tracks, lots of them use pods and such.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I have a Toneport UX2, and it is pretty versatile.

The only qualm with it that I have is that you can only record 2 inputs at a time, which kind of hampers the creativity sometimes.

Are you just going to be recording guitar?

Yeah, Im planning on recording guitar and vocals ..
Quote by pcline85
I use a Guitarport, and I am fixing to move up to a PodXT Live ($399 USD) pretty soon. I genuinely love the sound I get, and the fact I can get a vast variety of sounds from the Gearbox Software. Only schtick is that the Toneport and Guitarport hardware isn't as portable as the Pod lines.

As musicfreak003 said, check out the Line 6 website for some clips and more infos. Plus checkout some reviews from the products.

http://www.line6.com

Quote by Say Ocean
go to www.acapella.harmony-central.com click on the amp forum and click on search this forum. Type in "drumjam" as one word, tons of people post clips over drum tracks, lots of them use pods and such.

Thanks guys. They all sound really around the same level. Which Im happy about quality much better than what Iv been getting previously. But I still don't know the differences between the different products are to me they all seem to be based off of the same engine, sound very similar but all cost different and have a bunch of different models ..Dont understand the difference between em all

DAMN YOU LINE 6 AND YOUR CONFUSING PRODUCT RANGE!
Anyone else have any suggestions on what to get/can explain the difference between the different products?
i'm using a Pod XT right now and its made it very easy for recording. it simply has a good sound and is a good way to go about recording if you can't afford $1000's of dollars in tube amps and mics or simply can't be loud. as far as i know, the toneports are basically a POD but even more engineered for direct recording.

you can get the same sounds out of both products, but if you want to hear line6 sounds out of an amp, you won't be able to use the toneport for that. ( i think)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
A crazy route I almost went was almost as far to output my Guitarport to a PA system lmao.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0