Im picking up radio stations when i play at high gain on my amp.. I was putting up with it but now i've had enough

Whats the most effective and cost effecient way to shield my strat? Should i fill the cavities and the back of the pickguard with aluminium foil? After pasting the foil, do i have to connect and ground wires to the foil?

Thx!

Pls post pictures if u have done it before!
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Quote by AussieVesti
Try a different cable.

Yea. Do you use pedals? My dads wah gets a country channel when i turn it on. I guess its ok for like intermission =)
i wanna know how to do that, i got that when i bought my amp 2nd hand and with the saem amp been trying for a while

good stuff!
Nope i use it guitar>amp.. Nothing in between. Does the cable help? I shall go look for another one.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
The cable doesnt really make a diff in my case.. Its the guitar. I also hear noises when i knock on the wood of the guitar? Are my pickups microphonic?

And when i flick my 5-way from neck to bridge, i hear a resonating sound.. like a "ding...." with a metallic and woodish kinda tone.. I tried with my friends ibanez and the pickup change was silent. Wads wrong?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Last edited by zizou510 at Oct 30, 2007,
^Cheap switch, don't worry about it.

Oh, wait...a '57 strat? Mabye just a worn out switch.

Either way, shielding a strat is failrly simple. Pull off the pickguard, coat the cavity with aluminum foil (or brass tape, if you can) and make sure that you let a little foil come out of the cavity a bit, so it will touch the foil on the back of the pickguard.
you can find adhesive backed foil at the hardware store. i suggest you use that. as it's heavier and already to stick in.

aluminum foil will still need to ge spray glued in.

u take off the guard. remove just the outside screws. remove the strings off the guitar. stabilize the trem.

the guard will still be attached by a couple of wires.
the pickups will be attached to the guard.

cover the wood cavities with foil, remove the pickups and pots, foil line the guard.

you can run a ground wire from the foil to the ground pool on the back of one of the pots.

put the guard back on. flip the guitar on it's back. take off the back cover.

foil line that cavity and the back of that cover. make sure that grounding wire is tight on the metal bar back there.

get some cotton balls. thread then thru the springs in the back cavity. that, will quiet the woody noise.

buy a shielded cable.

restring, make sure the bridge is level. after it is, put the back cover, back on.

provided all the wires stayed tight, and you didnt loosen any new ones running to the input jack, taking off the guard. ur strat should be quiet for you now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The thing with using adhesive spray and foil is that you have to make sure the edges of each piece are continuous, so you'd have to make sure they overlap, then solder them.

I would just use copper foil tape that has adhesive and conductive backing.
I get mine from stewmac.com

If you need a shielding guide, go to guitarnuts.com.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The thing with using adhesive spray and foil is that you have to make sure the edges of each piece are continuous, so you'd have to make sure they overlap, then solder them.

I would just use copper foil tape that has adhesive and conductive backing.
I get mine from stewmac.com

If you need a shielding guide, go to guitarnuts.com.

blahblah overlap the foil, blah. smarty pants.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

LAF, im so out of it, i prolly had my quick reply up for 5 minutes, and half of those fragments up there, arent even close to a sentence.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62