what is wrong with music today.? i mean not that its bad or anything
but its certainly not as good as it was. Im sure people bitch and moan about this all the time but i might as well too. i mean face it who are our kids gonna remember disturbed or van halen? i dunno i guess im just not seeing it... we need somthing new innovative
There always has been and always will be good and bad music. People remember the good and forget the bad, thats is why music in the past seems so much better, its because you just don't hear of the bed stuff.
Your not looking hard enough.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Jaymz2K
I prefer Disturbed to Van Halen....

I'm ruining music

No you're not.

Bad taste doesn't exist. Neither does good taste. What people call bad taste is when the music that the other person listens to doesn't correspond with what they listen to themselves. It's just ignorant behaviour, and you are not ruining music at all for liking different bands over others. It's called personal preference and is perfectly normal behaviour, because it causes the music scene to keep on evolving. If we were all only allowed to like a few bands, music wouldn't be half as amazing as it is today. And that same thing goes for most music nowadays. You might think it's bad, but for another person it's the end of the world. And who are you to tell them otherwise? That's just being an asshole.
Quote by Jehuty
No you're not.

Bad taste doesn't exist. Neither does good taste. What people call bad taste is when the music that the other person listens to doesn't correspond with what they listen to themselves. It's just ignorant behaviour, and you are not ruining music at all for liking different bands over others. It's called personal preference and is perfectly normal behaviour, because it causes the music scene to keep on evolving. If we were all only allowed to like a few bands, music wouldn't be half as amazing as it is today. And that same thing goes for most music nowadays. You might think it's bad, but for another person it's the end of the world. And who are you to tell them otherwise? That's just being an asshole.

You win, sir. There is nothing left to discuss after this.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Jehuty
No you're not.

I wholeheartidly agree with everything you've said
no...music is definately not nearly as technically sound as it once was on a whole....there are no new rock bands that reach the masses with the talent of lets say the allman brothers, led zepplin, jimi hendrix, etc....the irony is the decline, in my opinion started with nirvana. bands didnt use trudge along on only power chords and make a living before them. music exploded with nirvana and now all these garbage bands are riding the wave. i'm not saying that there arent good bands now, they're just not as prevalent cause all the kids want this music about "image" these days. i'd take a good ole rock song over eyeliner tight t-shirts and slit wrists anyday.
Quote by sowhat360
no...music is definately not nearly as technically sound as it once was on a whole....there are no new rock bands that reach the masses with the talent of lets say the allman brothers, led zepplin, jimi hendrix, etc....the irony is the decline, in my opinion started with nirvana. bands didnt use trudge along on only power chords and make a living before them. music exploded with nirvana and now all these garbage bands are riding the wave. i'm not saying that there arent good bands now, they're just not as prevalent cause all the kids want this music about "image" these days. i'd take a good ole rock song over eyeliner tight t-shirts and slit wrists anyday.

Image is definitely not something from this age of music only. Look at most metal music, they all have a similar image, that of long haired men screaming their ass off. Or look at Guns N Roses. If it wasn't for Slash or Axl's rock n roll lifestyle or image, they wouldn't have been what they were today. It's important to have a certain image following the music. I couldn't imagine a bunch of metal musicians like for example Amon Amarth play the raw style of rock that GNR plays. The thing is, just because the image nowadays doesn't interest you or goes against you, you put the music off as crap. The image is what for you sets the idea of what music to expect.

And technicality is (to me) not a factor for great music. There are actually a lot of great, catchy rock tunes out there now, a few Fall Out Boy songs and My Chemical Romance's Teenagers are to me good and proper rock songs. The thing is, they get a lot of **** because people are afraid to stand up for their opinion, saying that they like their music, in fear of being labeled as an "emo", or for that matter a follower of any other genre. I don't understand all the hatred nowadays in music. To me, music is supposed to bring up feelings of solidarity, to feel together. Cause we're all in it together. We're all musicians. It's just that some people call it jazz and others metal.

And don't get me wrong, I understand what you're trying to say, but what you feel is good music will come back. A while from now people will have enough of this music scene and it'll slowly evolve into something else again. But as long as people are being so close-minded towards those genres, that change will take longer.
Last edited by Jehuty at Oct 30, 2007,
i think what he means is, there was so many great rock bands that changed the world, every band had something about them, now we are left with falloutboy who are catchy and simple.
Quote by dean_dc
i think what he means is, there was so many great rock bands that changed the world, every band had something about them, now we are left with falloutboy who are catchy and simple.

I understand that, but I was just trying to explain the fact that even though some people might not like it, Fall Out Boy are also changing history and their image adresses a lot of people just like Van Halen for example did in their time, it's just in a different package.
Quote by kris323
but its certainly not as good as it was. Im sure people bitch and moan about this all the time but i might as well too. i mean face it who are our kids gonna remember disturbed or van halen? i dunno i guess im just not seeing it... we need somthing new innovative

There are plenty of innovative bands out there if you would actually look for them. Like bluephyre said, there was a lot of "bad" music in the 60s and 70s but it's just been left behind and the same will happen to the "bad" music of today.
theres always gonna be bad/sellout artforms (music, movies etc) but the bad ones are there so it makes the good ones look even better
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by kris323

Dude you're so not in the loop on what's going round in the music industry.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by sowhat360

You mean over the tight pants, eyeliner and hairspray guys in the 80s who were a part of this metal movement used to use? The androgyny movement really started in the 70s with David Bowie, not with emo. You have no sense of popular history at all, it seems. There's nothing wrong with music today. Absolutely nothing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Jaymz2K
I prefer Disturbed to Van Halen....

I'm ruining music

I prefer Disturbed too. Don't worry

Music has NOT gotten less technical. In fact, since when were Led Zep technical if it wasn't a solo? Same with AC/DC. Same with a lot of the "good" classic bands?

I agree with the entire "there's always good and bad music" line of thinking, except I'd tap "in your opinion" somewhere in there for good measure.
I sued to bitch and moan about it but then i found the world of electronic dance music.

DnB, Acid tech and Breatbeat are the way forwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECtq7r5738Y

see what I mean??
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Music today is awesome, you're just not looking hard enough.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by the_astronaut
Music today is awesome, you're just not looking hard enough.

THANK YOU!
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
so basically, the bands you like aren't around/are crap now and you're bitching at the whole music scene today....

....nice one.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
Quote by sowhat360
i'm not saying that there arent good bands now, they're just not as prevalent cause all the kids want this music about "image" these days. i'd take a good ole rock song over eyeliner tight t-shirts and slit wrists anyday.

I'm so damn tired of that image argument. Call me shallow or a poser or whatever, but image matters. Let's face it. To me, if a band looks "cool", it's always a plus. Of course the music comes first. I mean, I wouldn't listen to a band who looked "cool" and who played absolutely horible music, but I could definitely listen to band with a avarage Joe image, but with lots of talent.

The thing is, image and style has always been a part of the entertainment buissness. It's not something new. Even Johnny Cash back in the 50s or 60s (or whenever that was) dressed in all-black. It was his gimmick. Let's just face it; fashion/style/image and music, they go hand in hand.
Quote by European Son
I'm so damn tired of that image argument. Call me shallow or a poser or whatever, but image matters. Let's face it. To me, if a band looks "cool", it's always a plus. Of course the music comes first. I mean, I wouldn't listen to a band who looked "cool" and who played absolutely horible music, but I could definitely listen to band with a avarage Joe image, but with lots of talent.

The thing is, image and style has always been a part of the entertainment buissness. It's not something new. Even Johnny Cash back in the 50s or 60s (or whenever that was) dressed in all-black. It was his gimmick. Let's just face it; fashion/style/image and music, they go hand in hand.

1+
I dunno....Serj Tankian's "Elect the Dead" is so far really different and interesting. (It's on Napster--Check it out.)

But, really. I had a hard time trying to find music from way back when that I found interesting. I really felt bored by listening to Led Zeppelin. Ok, so Hendrix is incredible. But I've just found more energetic and interesting modern day bands than classic ones.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.