Hello everyone! first time posting here
going to buy this guitar very soon... Art & Lutherie GT

have been playing nylon for some years, and is recently inspired by Don Ross, Antoine Dufour and other guys from candyrat,,,
Now i really wana try playing their songs with a steel-string!

The problem is, in Hong Kong i can only find Cedar Top... and as you might have noticed the songs Don Ross plays are very percussive and all... and i hear that Cedar is very soft and easy to dent... would there be any problem then? would i dent the guitar for playing percussive stuff?

anyway, is this guitar a good choice?

thanks!!
Last edited by josephlyw at Oct 30, 2007,
Are you looking for a particular finish? The A&L GT comes in both spruce and cedar tops, but the spruce top is only availabe in Burgundy. I'm surprised that no place around you would carry one without the other. I have a cheap solid cedar top classical but I've never really done any percussive tapping or scratching on it so I can't comment on potential damage.
hmm.. thanks for your comment.
I don't have a preference actually
my concern is which wood: spruce or cedar.. i haven't tried them myself though
and about the percussive thing, anyone else has any idea?
Last edited by josephlyw at Oct 30, 2007,
Spruce is more resilient to wear, but it's quite possible that you will still bang it up quite a bit. Big deal, it adds character. If you find that you prefer the sound of cedar, go with that. I'm pretty sure you won't find a pristine guitar in the hands of someone that plays in that style.
You won't have a problem with cedar and doing the percussive things. When they say its a softer wood, they mean that its softer than other woods, not that if u tap it, it will dent.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
Not necessarily true. If all you're doing is slapping the top with your palm, you're not likely to cause a large dent. That said, cedar-topped guitars are more likely to incur pick scratches and fingernail impressions. I base that on having read several comments from individuals with cedar tops. The consensus is that spruce is more resilient, though your mileage may vary.
I asked the dealer if he could import a spruce top for me, but he said that I'd have to buy it even if I don't like it in this case. So i guess i'll have no choice but to choose the cedar one XD

they have no washburn and alvarez, within $300 only yamaha, ibanez takamine etc.

i'll try it this weekend... hope I'd like the sound of cedar!
thanks all for commenting
The fact that you list Antoine Dufour (biggest ledgned ever ) kinda answers your question. He plays a cedar top stonebirdge guitar
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by teegee420
Not necessarily true. If all you're doing is slapping the top with your palm, you're not likely to cause a large dent. That said, cedar-topped guitars are more likely to incur pick scratches and fingernail impressions. I base that on having read several comments from individuals with cedar tops. The consensus is that spruce is more resilient, though your mileage may vary.

correct. and i base that on owning two cedar top guitars.