Okay, I have done much reading up on this today, but I want more. I own a Squier Affinity Series strat, and I play it into a Vox Valvetronix Ad15Vt occasionally through a zoom g1x multi effect pedal. I keep the pickups set very low, almost level with the body and I was wondering if this has a detrimental effect on my tone or sustain.

Should I move them closer to the strings, I don't have any problems with the volume or anything, but I want to achieve the best tone possible from the equipment.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Move them around and see how it affects your sound. Pick how you like the sound best. Try different combinations of heights between the three pickups. Just don't put the pickups too close to the strings, as the magnets in the pickups will pull the string out of tune.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
you want them closer but not too close as the magnetic field will pull on your strings and it will pull them out of tune
Almost level with the body, I'm surprised you're getting any sound at all. Your best tone will probably be found within a few mm of the strings. Too close and your sustain will be negatively effected, but almost level with the body is really far away.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, I have no problems with volume at all.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Tone and sustain with all be affected by, string gauge, pickup height, and action.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Your pickups should be angled higher near the treble strings and lower near the bass strings....its they are parellel to all string you might get some volume loss near the treble strings so just try to mess around with it. I could be wrong but if you go to Fender's site and look around for product manuals and stuff they give all types of measurements for ideal heights of strings and stuff and they might have that on there
^I have that issue.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.