So Im deciding what guitar to buy next, I currently just have a squire strat.I play alot of classic rock stuff and some blues but I also play alot of ska and a hint of some older metal.Im looking for a really good clean tone out of my guitar but also a nice distortion that you would actually record with.

SO my budget can't really go over 500 and im deciding between two guitars

The Ibanez Artcore ASF75T. which got a 5 on gc [$349]

And The Gretsch electromatic, it's also a hollow body archtop [$595] also got a 5 on gc

The grestch kinda goes over my budget but do you think it's worth the about 200 more dollars or would they be about the same quality?My friend has the ibanez and it's nice but i don't wanna buy an asian piece of ****, do you think it is?
I would ignore pretty much any ratings system for guitars (although the user reviews at harmony-central.com are worth a read); they are mostly done by people who just bought there are gear and are excited about something new.

What amp do you have?

If you want a semi-hollow, I would look at either a Michael Kelly Vibe or a Michael Kelly Deuce Phoenix.

Both great guitars. Well constructed, good hardware and electronics, and very comfortable necks.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well currently I have just a fender frontman 15 watt, Im saving up for a line 6 spider III.Do you think the pick-ups on the artcore are good?If the only difference between the two guitars is the quality of pick-ups I would just buy the artcore and put in some new pick-ups.If you think I should what kinda pick-ups do you recomend?
I think you should get a new amp before you think about replacing pickups, and I think it shouldn't be the Spider III .

The Gretsch uses mini-humbuckers, so I don't think you'd be able to put those in the Artcore.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Mini humbuckers eh, are they any good?Has anyone had any experience with the kind of pick-ups ibanez uses?I think theyre like AC1's or something..
Well i wanted to get the spider III because it has so many cool sounds programmed into it, what amp do you suggest?
Ibanezs have really nice necks i dont have any experience that model but it seems nice enough
Manchester United
I dont think a Spider is the best amp to go for, a tube one if your budget allows it if it cant, then a spiders alright
/CENTER]
Hm well I've played a line 6 and they seem nice enough but I'm really not that experienced in picking out amps, but the roland cube 60 looks nice and so does some vox's i was looking at.Ok so I was comparing the two guitars I was looking at and the Gretsch has alot more features but they both seem nice..but they gretsch has a rosewood fingerboard and they ibanez has a ''bound rosewood'' fingerboard, is their a difference?
IS there a difference between a rosewood fretboard and a''bound rosewood'' fretboard?WHat is the best kind of fretboard wood in your experience?