Right, I admit it, I was young, had a new guitar, and was full of money, I wanted something loud as sin, somethin' rockin'!

So I purchased a 100W Kustom Amp. (Laugh now, if you will).

However, after some time, I have come to the conclusion it's just a little too loud, a bit impractical, so I'm looking to sell it. I was just wondering, what should I get instead? I'm still talking bedroom warrior material here, but I want something quality, real nice tone, so what size should I be looking for? 30W? 50? Or am I wrong, should I just keep what I have and work around it? (I'm looking to get some better pedals, all I'm running on is a Digitech RP80.... *Mumbles into silence...*)

I'm by no means looking for a starter amp, I was just looking for opinions on what you'd do in my situation, new pedals? I.e. single, high quality stompboxes, get a smaller, 'better' amp, with better quality? Throw some ideas at me please!

Anything I've left out/needlessly included, feel free to flame me to a crisp, then I'll amend as needed.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

It really depends. I wouldn't say there's a wattage threshold, although if you're looking at tube amps and you want tube saturation, lower is inherently better. I have a Boogie Mark IV that I use at home in my bedroom, and that's anywhere from 30-85 watts, depending on the power tube settings. What kind of music do you play? Are you trying to simplify or complicate your rig? I used to be big into pedals, but for the past few years I'm pretty much a guitar -> cable -> amp kind of guy.
Hi, I'm Peter
Get a valve amp. 5 to 15 watts would be plenty for bedroom use. Then you can start building up your effects collection with single stompboxes rather than multi-fx. Something like an Epiphone Valve Jr. would be great, though perhaps not if you're into really, really heavy stuff...
I mostly play Metal/Rock, I'm looking for the kind of tone that bands like Mastodon put out, but I also want that kind of gorgeous tight tone that you hear people like Steve Vai come out with. I'm looking for heavy, with plenty of scope for tweaking, but that can handle cleans well also.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Peavey high gain amps usually do pretty well in the distortion department at low volumes, and they're pretty cheap. You should check them out. People also dote on the Carvin Legacy, but I've never played one so can't personally attest to its quality or lack thereof.
Hi, I'm Peter
So you agree, better to try for a new amp (and pedals), rather than stick with what I got? Or could you think of any particular pedals that may help me on my search?

- Opinions on Kustom amps? Be honest! (Prepares for cringing)

ಠ_ಠ

wat

The Kustom valve amps (the Defender, for example) are pretty good, but the solid states aren't great. The really low wattage ones are good practice amps that I'd take over things like Spiders, MGs and Crate SS amps, though
Never played one, but it does seem like serious overkill. My approach is to always go from the bottom up, so amp first. Remember, pedals can sap tone and add noise to your rig, so if you start off with an amp that gets you what you want rather than using pedals, at least IMO, you'll be better off. People often underestimate the power of a good amp and a good EQ pedal, rather than stompbox after stompbox.
Hi, I'm Peter
Righty-hoo. I'll have a check round then, look in guitar mags and whatnot. I'd like to try and get a Mesa, although they seem expensive. I'll see what I can afford, and like you say, try and work the tone from the amp rather than a pedal. Many thanks! And to you too Denthúl!

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I think a little line6 should do...but most people do consider the little ones "starter amps," especially the $100 ones. To those people...F you, connect that little amp to some mega huge speakers!
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by americablanco
I think a little line6 should do...but most people do consider the little ones "starter amps," especially the $100 ones. To those people...F you, connect that little amp to some mega huge speakers!

Are you talking about the Spider? Because in doing that you will be raping your ears with that horrible tone...they make good enough practice amps and that's it. But I'd rather take a Valve Jr. over any SS practice amp.
Quote by Denthúl
Are you talking about the Spider? Because in doing that you will be raping your ears with that horrible tone...they make good enough practice amps and that's it. But I'd rather take a Valve Jr. over any SS practice amp.

I guess its cuz my friend modded his then...
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
^^ modded a spider? lmao, what? took out the insides and replaced it with a different amp? that's the only mod i can think of, that or a car compacter
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I don't know what he did...he claims to have "gone tube." (hmm...) But I know when he was done he said he should've made all the dials go to 11, lol.
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
he probably bought a Spider Valve, which many people say sounds pretty bad still. Go all tube, with no modeling.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
i think a little line6 should do...but most people do consider the little ones "starter amps," especially the $100 ones. To those people...F you, connect that little amp to some mega huge speakers!

R O F L! Thats pretty sad

anyways, i'd look for a Peavey classic 30