ok long story short I have a very old tube amp, the speaker was blown so I got a newer celestion one put in it.

I know that the speakers wattage is much higher than the amps wattage so obviously there wasnt gonna be speaker distortion from it.

the thing is, even with ALL the controls up full on the amp, it remains perfectly clean when i play. whats up with that? i thought that the tubes were supposed to distort also?

and finally, i like a "on the verge of overdrive when digging in, but still clean when played normal" sound from my gear so I intended to buy something like a Zvex SHO or something similar to achieve this, but I dont think i can achieve that sound if i can run the amp on full and its still clean.

please help, i know this post is a bit rambling so if theres confusion as to what im trying to convey then tell me and ill tidy it up a bit.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I wanna know what kind of amp you have that never breaks up! I would love an amp that is always clean.
its a Teisco Checkmate 15, and its only got a volume control.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Well then I'd do this:
Change the preamp tubes to higher gain 12AX7s, like JJs.
Get a booster pedal or natrual sounding OD (like a Fulltone OCD).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well then I'd do this:
Change the preamp tubes to higher gain 12AX7s, like JJs.
Get a booster pedal or natrual sounding OD (like a Fulltone OCD).

ok the tubes in it are original (so they are about 40years old), i forgot to mention that, would that be a cause of the problem?

i was gonna get the OCD or the Zvex SHO but was wondering would it daamage my amp? cos the amp will be full volume (but still clean) and then the boost pedal on lets say 12 oclock. the speaker has a much higher "wattage" than the amp, so will all this combined damage the amp? (i assume not the speaker)

thanks
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by Gabel
Well I'd change the tubes then. Start there.

yeah but i dont want to change the tubes untill they need it really.

besides i thought that old tubes would have the complete oppisite effect of giving perfectly sparkly cleans with the volume on full.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Actually I would change them. Old preamp tubes won't give gain or volume.

This is a time to change the tubes, when they won't give distortion....
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ok good stuff ill get to it.

the tubes dont say what type they are tho how can i tell?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

A quick look on the interweb suggests EL84's in the power section... ? How many tubes does it have, and how many different types (sizes) does it have? If it just has just two types, they're probably EL84 and 12AX7. If there's a third type, it'll be some type of rectifier tube. Did you pull them out and look them over thoroughly? Might be able to identify them better that way.

Worst case scenario, you can pull them and take them to a reputable shop and have them ID them for you. Or snap some pics and forward them to an online tube dealer to ID for you. Those guys might/should be able to tell you what tubes your amp takes just by the model.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ill get back to you later about that, at work now.

i tried to get em out before but the metal retainers were being iffy so i left it rather than have the pins snap in the sockets!

ill be back
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX