First i want to say I don't know a whole lot about musical theory, but I will try to bear with you if you can help me.

OK, so I am trying to write an intro for a song, something that's almost like a cross between Ides of March (Iron maiden) and Rome 64 CE (Behemoth). I want to have some slow harmony leads, just like in Ides of March, but at the same time, I want it to sound much darker, much more evil-er, like in Rome 64 CE. The scale is E minor, except the F# is just an F. That half step down on that one note gives the sound a completely different feel. But, when I try to make harmony guitar (like in Ides of March), it doesn't exactly retain the sound. This is what I came up with

(Starting on the 9th fret on the G string)

9(whole note), 10(whole note), 11(3/4 note) 13 12 10 (8th note triplet), 9(whole note)

I don't know any better way to explain that. I mean, I could do a tab, but the timing wouldn't be right.

Now, I tried doing several things for the harmony, such as an octave up, octave down, doing that on the B string instead, ect.. I'm used to playing in E natural minor, but this is different. If anyone can help me come up with a good harmony sound, please let me know. Thanks.
What you play is not E minor, but E Phrygic. This is a mood, and the 3d step of the C major scale. So you play the notes of the C major scale, but instead of from C to C you play from E to E.

Maybe you could try harmonizing with the C major notes (C D E F G A B)? When I harmonize E-phrygic, I often simply use Am, because that is the 6th step of the Cmajor scale.
i believe when the f# is f, it becomes the phrygian mode which has a different harmonic quality the f# would fit with a major 3rd or perfect 5th i think
Dancing In Your Dust
A 3rd up in E phrygian should still keep the minor vibe, since the new high melody will be in a minor. Give it a shot, see how you like it.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
I cannot thank you guys enough. I tested it out in Guitar Pro, and each suggestion has its own sound quality.. its tough to pick which one im going for, there all great though. I beleive this is going to leave up to a nasty nasty song. so basically, i should probably learn my 7 scales, and is there a direct formula to harmonizing in this matter?
Quote by DarkTwilight
I cannot thank you guys enough. I tested it out in Guitar Pro, and each suggestion has its own sound quality.. its tough to pick which one im going for, there all great though. I beleive this is going to leave up to a nasty nasty song. so basically, i should probably learn my 7 scales, and is there a direct formula to harmonizing in this matter?

If you look at the notation, you should see all notes are a third apart for my suggestion. If you don't know what that looks like, it means that any note in the original (e phrygian, right?) melody on a line should be harmonized with the note the next line up. If it is in a space, it should be the next space up. If you are staying completely tonal and have the right key signature then you will see no accidentals at all. That's the most formulatic way to check your work. If you want help just writing it, go up three degrees in the scale you are working on and that is the note you harmonize with.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
wow how on earth do you guys know what your talking about?? so if i want to be really good or even kind get somewhere and write some songs, should i learn all these scales and combinations and stuff?? most i know are some chords and tunes. i generally make it up and learn as i go (aka im a self taught)
you are rad
rad
rad
so radical

Quote by dinha soady
wow how on earth do you guys know what your talking about??

We've put a bit of effort into learning some music theory. It's not necessary for writing music but it is extremely helpful for getting your ideas onto the guitar. Check out the link in my sig, and RTFS
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums