Hey I've been reading these forums among many to decide which amp i should invest in next, but i can't seem to find the answer. I currently have an Marshall AVT50 and it doesn't really sound all that decent, and is limited to one type of tone realistically. I like playing alot of 60's rock and more modern metal. Would quite like to get that Deftones esque thundering tone, liek alot of nu-metal bands get, but also 90's alternative and that 60's plexi sound. I know thats a bit of an odd combination and there might not be an amp that does it all well. Another problem is that i need to use it to practice and jam with, so 50 watts is pretty much my limit, and a combo if possible.

So far I've looked at

the new Spider Valve
Hughes and kettner Switchblade combo 50
Marshall DSL
Mesa Recto (Very expensive in england though)

Totally lost, do you guys have any ideas?
Quote by National_Anthem
How is the new Spider Valve?

It was alright, some settings sounded pretty decent others not so, but still not entirely sure on it and the built in effects are pretty ****, but I'm not too interested in in-built effects.
i have a 50 watt mesa solo rectifier that a play thru a marshall 4 12 cabinet .It,s great for all types of music .I'm in 2 bands, cover and originals from classic rock to heavy stuff including detones.You should try a mesa you will not be disapointed.I payed $1100 for my head brand new back in 2002,i have had my cab since early 90's i cant remember how much I paid for it.On ebay you could get the head for 7-900 dollars.Good luck!
Quote by pete38
i have a 50 watt mesa solo rectifier that a play thru a marshall 4 12 cabinet .It,s great for all types of music .I'm in 2 bands, cover and originals from classic rock to heavy stuff including detones.You should try a mesa you will not be disapointed.I payed $1100 for my head brand new back in 2002,i have had my cab since early 90's i cant remember how much I paid for it.On ebay you could get the head for 7-900 dollars.Good luck!

How good are they at lower volumes? Bit worried about that aspect, but I'm definately convinced with the mesa quality and tone.
it' great at low volumes.When I play out, I run it at 3-6 and at home I'll run at 1/2-1 and it still sounds really good.All in all just a great amp!In the time I've had it,I've re-tubed the power tubes twice and the only cost $40 for the pair from mesa.
Wow I'm almost sold but the new ones have parallel effects loops and in the uk they cost like $2000 minimum, i might have to look about on ebay. Thanks for clarifying the volume thing though.
what kind of money are you talking?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what kind of money are you talking?

500 to maybe 800 pounds.
ok, cool. You have a couple of options... engl screamer combo, laney tt combo would both be worth a try. koch twintone/multitone maybe too, if you're willing to buy from thomann or similar.

I was going to suggest a brunetti xlr-evo if you could get up to mesa prices, but it's a bit more than you want to spend, and you'd have to get a cab too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok, cool. You have a couple of options... engl screamer combo, laney tt combo would both be worth a try. koch twintone/multitone maybe too, if you're willing to buy from thomann or similar.

I was going to suggest a brunetti xlr-evo if you could get up to mesa prices, but it's a bit more than you want to spend, and you'd have to get a cab too.

Thanks alot man! Been looking at the ENGL combo, looks really nice think I'm sold, it doesn't have a different EQ for the Clean and Distortion Channels but that shouldn't make too big of a difference should it?

Thanks again man, clips on youtube seem really good, sorry to keep pestering you.
Yes, check out the Engl Screamer, that amp is very versatile with a great tone.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
yea take the screamer
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Quote by swmbuk
Thanks alot man! Been looking at the ENGL combo, looks really nice think I'm sold, it doesn't have a different EQ for the Clean and Distortion Channels but that shouldn't make too big of a difference should it?

Thanks again man, clips on youtube seem really good, sorry to keep pestering you.

the shared eq is more of a compromise than having separate EQ, but the channels are voiced quite differently. You'd need to try it to make sure it's not a problem, but it's hopefully not as big a problem as it first appears.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?