Ok so I just got this jackson, and it's the first time i've ever used Floyd rose (my previous guitar was a Les paul) but every time i put in a string, it breaks withing like 5 minutes of playing. It might be cuz i usually use .10 and these are .9s or maybe it's the floyd rose or something. what should I do? should I maybe get it set up to .10s? how much does tha cost?
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
you obviously ent doing something right, i dont know what, lol. But something
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
you might want to search around the lessons for a guide to replacing the strings, but simply; make sure you put the strings on one by one, also you probably need to loosen the screws for the bridge to put less tension on the strings.

edit:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/set_up_for_floyd_rose.html

this should help
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by dan ramP
you might want to search around the lessons for a guide to replacing the strings, but simply; make sure you put the strings on one by one, also you probably need to loosen the screws for the bridge to put less tension on the strings.

the thing is when i put in less tension on the bridge, the string jsut slid out... granted, thats better than it breaking but I'd rather have neither happen
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
you need to make sure you tighten the bolts that are supposed to hold the strings in on the bridge, you need an allen key to do it, theyre the ones that are above te fine tuners [the little screws at the very bottom of the bridge]

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
stupid question: are fine tuners the screws all the way on the back of the bridge
Quote by Noyon999

dude use 9's first off. a floyd rose isnt desgined for 10's, if someone says otherwise then they are putting too much strain on it. thats the first problem. (techie guy at GC told me this, i bull**** you not) secondly, when replacing strings, im assuming all six, only loosen the locknut over the two strings you are currently working on. do one string at a time, dont release the tension of the next string until the previous is tightened to a decent tension, somewhere near the note it should be tuned(give or take). repeat this for all strings.
bottom line, you cant like do the whole unit at once, you have to do one string at a time and do whatever it takes to keep the tension in place and not release it. the fact that your bridge slid right off the pins sucks, because now it needs to be reset. its not difficult, but im sure it wont be easy for you if youre in this situation and cant fix it. just dont get ahead of yourself.
make sure the sides of the bridges(if you hold the guitar on your lap like youre gonna play sitting down, and look straight down on the low E side of the bridge) are paralell to the body. adjust the action accordingly to your comfort by adjusting the pins on the sides(largest allan wrench sockets on each side of bridge), but keep it parallel.
oh yeah, i had a les paul and got a jackson with FR too, so i know how you feel. except, i learned everything about how it worked first! to avoid these problems! (actually my very first axe had a 1986 FR on it and i trialed and errored plenty.) just dont feel desperate, its all fixable, i promise. ....good luck with all that
the ones that if you stood the guitar up, they would be nearest the floor, yep.

edit:

lol, im same as the guy above, i read into it loads before i got my jackson, even had a les paul first. it took me a while first time to peplace strings but just relax and dont rush or panic.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Last edited by dan ramP at Oct 30, 2007,
man I can't believe i got so many helpful answers lol. ty
Quote by Noyon999

Pretty much what everybody else said was good advice. Make sure you tighten the string holders tight enough for them to stay in. The only thing is, you CAN put other gauges of strings on. The only disadvantage to that is getting it set up again is frustrating, but well worth it, especially if you do it yourself. In my opinion, taking it to get it done somewhere isn't worth the money unless you need it done THAT day and have other priorities. Otherwise, you will probably want to learn how to adjust it yourself.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Pretty much what everybody else said was good advice. Make sure you tighten the string holders tight enough for them to stay in. The only thing is, you CAN put other gauges of strings on. The only disadvantage to that is getting it set up again is frustrating, but well worth it, especially if you do it yourself. In my opinion, taking it to get it done somewhere isn't worth the money unless you need it done THAT day and have other priorities. Otherwise, you will probably want to learn how to adjust it yourself.

+1

The day I got my old Jackson (my first guitar with a floyd) I brought it home and restrung it, took like 2 hours to figure out how to make it work and get it to go parallel, but it was well worth it cause after that I could do it pretty quickly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Two days ago i restrung my Ibanez 2550E for the first time (first time with a floating trem) and it took 3 hours :O but i got it, i first thought it was going to be a nightmare but actually it was easier than i though . And yeah the bridge is set up for 9's so i think you have to loosen the springs on the back
well, im having a problem :|

i need to tighten the bridge,
but the f***ing screw in the trem cavity won't budge! AAARGHH!!!! x-(