new thread

My marshall has stopped working, it seems that the four smaller tubes in my DSL 2000 seem to have stopped glowing....time for a re-tube i think.

just to clarify, it is the tubes that have died? or has my amp gone ka-put? ive had it for about a year. thanks fot the help

Okay so teh ECC83 tubes are down, i think its a tube problem its been around a year of me having it and using it every day for rehearsals and have gigged with it alot as well so it would make sence that the ECC38s are down.

with that information can any one give me some trouble shooting advice?
how can i source the problem.

how do i take out the tubes? just pull really hard
for the last question, u just pull it. wiggle a bit, but if u wiggle it too far, it bends the pin and u'll need to rebend if u want to use it again. (i did it before...)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
What happened to your other thread?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
got the tubes out, does it sound like it is a tube problem? if so ill order some as soon as, and from now on im going to use a smaller less important amp when im just noodling around and save this one for gigs and large jams]

just those three tubes stopped glowing it makes sence that they should die around this time and every thing else seems fine
what brand were the old tubes? Marshall? marshalls are rebranded sovteks. i would suggest new tubes either way.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
refer to the "Everything you want to know about tubes" thread.

i have TungSol 12AX7s on my Blues Jr., nice, fat, sweet, and chimey.
EHX on my Marshall DSL, but my amp has a problem and it's not working.

EHX i've heard are THE tubes for marshalls, giving it warm but crunchy sound.
JJ has high gain tubes, but they seems to be muddy.
groove tubes is (i think) a rebranded sovtek, so stay away from them.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I really like EHX 12AX7, and JJ EL84 are the best current EL84 IMO.

^ EHX would be PERFECT in Marshall. They got quite a lot of bass and low mids. Great crunch, fairly high gain, reliable valve, but still covers the higher frequencies too. Beautiful in my Valve Junior. I'd stick my neck out and say use EHX 12AX7 in British amps and the chimier Tung-Sols in American ones.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ehx it is then, but a full new set seems like its gonna cost me ( im a poor student ) there is one other tube that came out of the dsl that im not sure about, its got written on it : wk41/05 what is it? it looks identical to the eccc83s but i can be too sure.

so what valves do i want to get?

http://www.hotroxuk.com/store/erol.html#2153X4898

??? is that the one where going for?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Oct 30, 2007,
If it's identical to the 12AX7s replace it with another 12AX7, it's probably just weird markings.

If you're in England, the cheapest place for new valves is Banzai Effects:

EHX 12AX7 @ £4 each: http://www.banzaieffects.com/12AX7-EH-pr-16170.html
Matched JJ EL84 @ £5 each: http://www.banzaieffects.com/EL84-6BQ5-JJ-Plat.Matched-pr-18498.html

The power valves need to be matched. But it doesn't affect cost by much and the others are fine.
You gotta replace all power valves at once, yes. If the little ones stopped glowing you should just get replacements for those if you can't afford power valves. It might be worth taking the blow and getting them all though, it'll improve tone as well as most probably fixing it.
Ok thanks, ill get just the ECC83s for now but will replace the power amp tubes before christmas.

that means i still have one tube that works fine, what can i do with that? im hopning to get either an epi valve jnr or fender champion for xmas could i use it as a replacement for either of those, itd be a shame for it to go to waste....
You can use it as a spare. It'd be very useful if your amp broke. But you can change the VJ tube for real.
Quote by The_0thersid3
My marshall has stopped working, it seems that the four smaller tubes in my DSL 2000 seem to have stopped glowing....time for a re-tube i think.
I doubt your 12AX7s all died at the same time. You might be wasting your money on a re-tube. Whatever your problem, it could still be there with new tubes.
Quote by The_0thersid3
just to clarify, it is the tubes that have died? or has my amp gone ka-put? ive had it for about a year. thanks fot the help
Highly unlikely they have all died at the same time. More likely they're glowing, but you aren't in a dark enough room to see it. -OR- If a connection has failed to the heaters in the pre-amp section, replacing the tubes will not repair that connection.
Quote by The_0thersid3
how do i take out the tubes? just pull really hard
Yes. Pull straight. Do NOT twist.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I have taken ou each tube and put them into a different order, it seems that there is one place where they all seem to be working but any where else and they dont glow up at all.

whats the problem? how do i fix it?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by The_0thersid3
How do i know if this has happened?

If you're comfortable with playing with potentially high voltages, see if there's any voltage on pin 4, 5 or 9 of any of the pre-amp tubes. 5 or 9 may not have any voltage on them (referenced to ground) depending on how it's wired, but 4 should have either 6.3 or 12.6V.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by The_0thersid3
^could you re-word that?

how do i check for voltage on the pins?

just to clarify are the power amp tubes ECC83? or the other ones?

ECC83 = 12AX7, your pre-amp tubes.

Do you own a multimeter/voltmeter? It's going to be hard to check voltages without one.
I dont but my uncle does, i can borrow one of him.

so what do i do just take the tube out and put the multimetre on the pins on them?

update- swapped the tubes around and double checked they are all glowing now? and i pluged in a lead and im getting sound? what the **** is going on with this?

Im getting new tubes any way/
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Oct 31, 2007,
ok so it seems that every time i want to use the amp i have to swap the tubes around with each other.

what is the problem? i spent ages trying o get it to work then changed to tubes around with each other and then it worked, thats happened twice now whats the problem?
Quote by The_0thersid3
ok so it seems that every time i want to use the amp i have to swap the tubes around with each other.

what is the problem? i spent ages trying o get it to work then changed to tubes around with each other and then it worked, thats happened twice now whats the problem?
It seems like either the contact between the tubes and the sockets is poor, or you're disturbing things enough to get a poorly soldered joint between one of the tube sockets and the printed board to make contact.

I think you need to get this to a tech.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ok so now it seems that the amp is working after it suddenly stopped monday evening only to have worked again yesterday and three times today.

Ill try and get it to a tech though ( the nearest one being nearly a hour and a half drive away )