I'm looking to get a new head for about $1,200 - $1,500. I originally had a Marshall JCM 900, but it ended up dying on me, so I traded it for a JCM 2000 DSL and I'm not too happy with it. I'd like to get a new JCM 900, but I dont think they make them any more, and my father refuses to let me buy a used amp. So i need something that has tone similar to a JCM 900.

Any ideas?
Why won't he let you? Say that the ones you want aren't made anymore. Marshall does make a reissue of them though.

My tip is to look for shop selling used amps.

The JCM900 has a very special tone. Some like them some don't. Very few amps has a compareable tone to them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I think you father is being a little *reverses TS' name* when it comes to used gear. You have to ensure it's from a reliable source and check it before you buy it. Used is so much more value for money
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Weird. The reissue seems to be discountinued.

The thing with the JCM900 was that it was a "failure". The thing was that it was VERY different from previous Marshall amps. It had a different character and those who bought the old JCMs didn't like them. So it never got the same recognition it could have (since it was targeted for the standard Marshall audience). Therefore noone makes any amp similar to it. The other reason is because they are ALL over eBay and other sites. They're super easy to find used. My tip is to talk with your dad and tell him that the only amp you like is not made anymore and say you want to buy one used. Then find one close to you, drive there and try it before you buy it. Then hit the guy with questions and so on.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

i've never actually tried a 900... splawn, roccaforte and guys like that make hot-rodded marshall type amps, but they may be more like an 800...

I really don't know, to be honest, sorry about that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm... My father still isnt really going for the used amp, i still need an alternative. Someone suggested an Orange amp, what are they like?
Yea as Dave said, the guys who makes Marshall copies goes with the classic designs such as the Plexis or JCM800s. JCM900s are still too new and as I said they don't have the classic Marshall tone which those other amps try to copy. And most of all as I said, JCM900s are SUPER easy to find used, for good prices (and good condition). The reason people copies Plexis and JCM800s is also because originals are VERY expensive and the Marshall reissues aren't good enough. JCM900s aren't as popular and therefore cheaper, so finding a good original isn't hard nor expensive. Tell your dad that they are VERY well built and won't have any problems.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well the thing is, telling him that won't work, because we had one previously and it broke down in a week or two.
What exactly happened to it? I've had mine for about two weeks or so now and I haven't come across any problems (except the fact that I can't do it justice because I'm not such a great player ). I have to agree with Gabe - the only way you'll really get the JCM900 sound is with a JCM900.
Quote by Denthúl
I have to agree with Gabe - the only way you'll really get the JCM900 sound is with a JCM900.

Yeah.

I'm not too much of a fan of the JCM900 tone (too modern for me). But if that's the tone your after the JCM900 is the only way to go.

Well as said, what happened to it? Let me guess, did the volume sometime cut out? That happened to me and it was because of old raspy pots. The only thing you have to do is to clean them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

It wasn't anything big, just a few electronics needed to be replaced, but we already spent $600 on it and guitar center refused to fix it, so they offered us a trade.
I am not sure, but I had heard someone say that the peavey windsor was like one of the marshalls...maybe it was the 900??
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
^ wheres jinskee with the rocker 30 suggestion?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
oo ok, nevermind
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by ssguitar
^ wheres jinskee with the rocker 30 suggestion?

Nowhere. I suggest Rocker 30s too (as I own one, duh!).

But Rockers 30s sucks at doing JCM900 tones.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ o ok. ive never tired a rocker 30, none around here. i happen to like my JCM900 though
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Well the JCM900 is great for some things, but the Rocker 30 is more compareable with a Plexi and JCM800.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Thge only thing that is gonna do the JCM 900 tone is a JCM 900 there is no way around it. They dont make them anymore.

Heres my suggestion. for 1200-1500 you could by a used one and if it has any problems you could use the extra money left over to have all the tubes replaced and to have the electronics looked over
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
+1

You could buy one cheap for say $600 and then take it to a tech and ask him to check it and fix whatever needed and change the tubes.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
+1

You could buy one cheap for say $600 and then take it to a tech and ask him to check it and fix whatever needed and change the tubes.

ya **** you would have enough left over for some pedals and a cab to lol
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
uh.. the DSL is just as good as the 900. Just learn how to use it properly.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by guitarist_with_

Well were not talking about if they're good enough or so. He doesn't like it because it doesn't have the JCM900 tone...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

for that money you might as well buy another 900, the hell with what your father thinks... the 900 you had was prolly used, right? And nothing compares to a 900; things may soundlioke it but nothing quite nails it. I'm in the same boat as you (I had a 900 with EL34's) and had to switch to a DSL 401. Its just not the same...
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Quote by guitarist_with_

In my opinion, the DSL sounds muddy. My dad still hasn't caved on getting another used 900. Eh. I'll just have to keep trying and in the meantime, look at my other choices.