ok so i wrote this sick song best song i ever wrote but the opening rythem guitar riff some one pointed out to me sounds exactly the same to a riff in NIB by sabbath and there right but mine is in a different tuning and is different notes i dont get why the sound the same mines drop d power chords and its D-12-12-10-12 thats the oppening riff for the riff but it sounds so similar i dont get it i dont wanna butcher my song but it sounds like such a ripp off can any one give me advice on whether or not its actually a rip off or a way i could change that riff slightly but not the time sig as it would ruin the lead (and yah unfortuantly it does use a similar time sig it goes D-12-12-10-12--12-12-10-12--12-12-10-12-12-5-5-3- yah thats the rythem for the verse i dont know how to write down time sigs but meh
So when did you write this fabulous song?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I might read this all...but it hurt my eyes trying to figure out where the periods go...
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.

Definition Of what "The Pit" is ^
Fullstops, use them.

Other then that, I got nothing.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
ok thank you all annoying litteral pple for posting in my thread and annoying the **** out of me... and i have full stops in it allready still sounds the same
that's not exactly the same. not so much that you'd be ripping them off, and yes, it would be you ripping them off if anything. unless you wrote this 30 years ago
it was kind of a joke reffering to the fact that i hadndt heard the song until my freind showed it to me , but u dont think its a ripp off? i think it might be the time sig im unsure altho the notes are close not the same but close on the fretboard
Yeah sorry i highly doubt that you wrote it before Iommi. Maybe its somthing similiar but no way, Sabbath did not steal it.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Yeah sorry i highly doubt that you wrote it before Iommi. Maybe its somthing similiar but no way, Sabbath did not steal it.

Is is that hard to read the entire topic?
Quote by Spamwise
Is is that hard to read the entire topic?

Yes, im lazy so i really didnt read the whole thing
lol thx for the last one spam wise....:P and himm why do u think it sounds the same when its different notes?
Because it's the exact same thing a step down from the original. You're still going root-root-downastep-root. If you're using the same interval pattern and rhythm, it doesn't matter if the notes are exactly the same.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It is not the exact same parts as the original. Just keep it how you like it, and if anyone says you stole it just ignore them.
Quote by Spamwise
It is not the exact same parts as the original. Just keep it how you like it, and if anyone says you stole it just ignore them.

The extended thing isn't exactly the same, but since he repeats the same 4-note portion, I think everyone would instantly think "Oh hey, that's N.I.B."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The extended thing isn't exactly the same, but since he repeats the same 4-note portion, I think everyone would instantly think "Oh hey, that's N.I.B."

does the fact that i hadnt heard the song until after i wrote the song and my freind showed me l help:P? lol
You probably heard it before without realizing it and it fused to the subconscious metal tubing of your mind, which then manifested itself in this riff.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
nah i cant even play by ear and i wrote this riff months after the last time i heard sabbath
Quote by rokr4lif3
I might read this all...but it hurt my eyes trying to figure out where the periods go...

You can find them in the FOTB.

Quote by soccermom
Fullstops, use them.

Other then that, I got a warning.

Fixed.

Next comment about the threadstarters grammar gets an instant ban. I don't care how atrocious it is, you don't post solely to take the piss out of him.

As you were.
It happens, people write songs that sound similar to other things often. Look at George Harrison and My Sweet Lord, he didn't knowingly cop the chords from the Chiffons, but the songs are amazingly similar.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
tbh sometimes i make riffs that sound simillar to other songs, so i just scrap it, i want people to think "thats orignal" not "thats stolen".
Ye it happens sometimes. Today I came up with a killer Black Metal sounding riff and it turns out its similar to the Keyboards in a Dimmu Song
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Yeah man, it happens. Don't worry about it to much. You did come up with it on your own. Atleast it shows that you are now creating music, all be it, it came out very similar to something already out there.
epic7734
its ok, linkin park stole one of my riffs (kinda) i wrote it and it was on their first cd like 2 or 3 years later. i was pissed but then i realized "i'm 5 years ahead of the curve"
if you wrote a riff that sounds like something from someone else, especially if you have never heard the song before (or only in passing, not like a million times) it means you're kinda in the right mindset for writing catchy tunes. your first songs will tend to sound like others (and when you start writing alot you'll start noticing it more and more)
ok so i really love this song but im not sure if i wanna do it cuz the main riff in the vesre sounds like its copying nibs so vote here:P should i just scrap it or use it its the best song ive ever written by far and id like to do it but if every ones gonna be like theif yah know?
Why don't you tremelo pick it or something to make it sound different.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I get this a lot. I'll be writing a cool riff to later realize that it's already been done. I just make a few key changes to seperate it. I just think about how Hangar 18 and Call of Ktulu are pretty much the same song, but you don't realize it until it's pointed out. It's just about how you play it and present it. Also if there's words to the song, strive to make the vocal line REALLY different from the song you "copied"
Quote by Wolftone08
I get this a lot. I'll be writing a cool riff to later realize that it's already been done. I just make a few key changes to seperate it. I just think about how Hangar 18 and Call of Ktulu are pretty much the same song, but you don't realize it until it's pointed out. It's just about how you play it and present it. Also if there's words to the song, strive to make the vocal line REALLY different from the song you "copied"

well the intro is the same, because dave mustaine wrote it while still in metallica.
im not a big fan of tremolo first off and second its chords lol id have to sweep if i wanted to do something like that and even if i was good at sweep im still not a fan of it:P... i might try it in a diff key tho thats a good idea thx