Hey, i was just quickly checking to see if anyone knows the other experiment to test for Oxygen

I know the standard one is relighting a glowing split, but still, thats hardly the most accurate of tests so chee the nets not very helpful with this so can anyone help?
If you can breathe, there's oxygen. If there's no oxygen, you ain't got long to live.
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oxygen in what? Air?

Try to burn something. If it won't burn, there's probably no oxygen.

Well oxygen is released and collected along with CO2
So there is a mix of both and you need to test for oxygen, is there another test aside from relighting stuff in order to see if it is indeed oxygen?

EDIT: Would it be possible to burn Sulphur in this environment of CO2 and O2 to produce Sulphur dioxide and then test for that?
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 30, 2007,
How is the glowing splint one not accurate? No other gas will do it. It's not proof of pure oxygen, but proof that there is a lot of it.

EDIT: What reaction would give off both gases?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
O2 molecules react specificaly to monoxide reacting elemensts ex. Ba, Ca, He, ect. when one of theese are combusted in a controlled enviroment with oxygen it will combust, in a controlled enviroment without oxygen, they will not.

I just pulled that out of my ass
Quote by philipisabeast
Hey, i was just quickly checking to see if anyone knows the other experiment to test for Oxygen

I know the standard one is relighting a glowing split, but still, thats hardly the most accurate of tests so chee the nets not very helpful with this so can anyone help?

How is that not an accurate test?
Can you breath?
if "yes", then oxygen is present.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The relighting a glowing splint test is accurate, since Oxygen is one of the three things needed for combustion, the other two being heat and fuel. If there is no oxygen present, the splint will not relight.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
It's a chemical experiment in a lab and the purpose of this part of the reaction is to see whether or not oxygen is produced alongside CO2 or whether it is only CO2.

Outside air would contaminate this experiment and so it couldn't be viewed as foolproof method, hence i was simply asking whether or not there is another method for testing with oxygen
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 30, 2007,
mass spectrometer

/thread
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by philipisabeast
It's a chemical experiment in a lab
through opening up the collection tube and sticking a glowing splint into where the oxygen is possibly located (theres a reason that i need to mention a test for oxygen as it is either produced as a product of a reaction or not and hence that would tell me which of two possible reactions would be correct)
So outside air could contaminate the test of relighting a glowing splint, i was simply wondering, is there any other test that can indicate the presence of oxygen

there is a type of paper, like litmus paper, that will work.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by philipisabeast
It's a chemical experiment in a lab
through opening up the collection tube and sticking a glowing splint into where the oxygen is possibly located (theres a reason that i need to mention a test for oxygen as it is either produced as a product of a reaction or not and hence that would tell me which of two possible reactions would be correct)
So outside air could contaminate the test of relighting a glowing splint, i was simply wondering, is there any other test that can indicate the presence of oxygen

Invert the beaker. Place in water. Open beaker. Then the air will stay in uncontaminated.

Then you just need to figure out how to light a fire underwater.
Quote by philipisabeast

standard test....use it
breathe();

if (dead)
oxygen = false;
else
oxygen = true;
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oxygen in what? Air?

Try to burn something. If it won't burn, there's probably no oxygen.

if you die from suffocation, there's probably no oxygen either.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you