I have a jay turser strat and a roland cube 30x and i was wondering

Are humbuckers a must for playing zakk/kirk sounding shred
For Zakk/ Kirk, a must and must, but basically yes.

Shred: Depends, Eric Johnson is "shreddy" and he uses Strats...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yngwie malmsteen uses stacked humbucker single coils. which are... closer to single coils by tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yngwie uses single coils ^damn u beat me!!
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Humbuckers are preffered. But honestly, a Jay Turser strat aint the best buddy. Time for an upgrade.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
humbuckers are way better than singles for a zakk/kirk sound. Actives too
Yeah dude. Get DiMarzio's
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Quote by nirvanafan666
I have a jay turser strat and a roland cube 30x and i was wondering

Are humbuckers a must for playing zakk/kirk sounding shred

What shred?That's just overly used pinch harmonics and wah.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Kirk/Zakk isn't shred buddy.

For a Kirk/Zakk tone, you need buckers. For shred, you can use either. Guys like Eric Johnson use strats, and Yngwie (although they're stacked buckers) uses them too.
Quote by Broken-pick
What shred?That's just overly used pinch harmonics and wah.

Plus a lot of repeating riffs that they keep on using...and using...and using..and using..and using.
Be cool.
Quote by TJM2482

For a Kirk/Zakk tone, you need buckers. For shred, you can use either. Guys like Eric Johnson use strats, and Yngwie (although they're stacked buckers) uses them too.

+1. Btw, its worth noting, when Yngwie was recording Rising Force, I do believe his guitars still had standard singles in them.
It actually depends on the type of shred you want to play mate.
Like metal, humbuckers are a definite must.
Or active pick ups, i got this bad ass sound out of my Charvel with some actives.

But if your going to play the bluesy shred, single coils are probably the way to go.
Also Yngwie's a bit of a twat.

...as a human being, not necessarily a musician.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
dude...seymour duncan all the way
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
^did he ever ask what brand pickups are the best?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Doesn't matter what Yngwie uses.

Humbuckers just have a more full / meaty tone.

Single coils you can still shred on, but it doesn't sound quite as good.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
In my experience, with the right set-up (tube preamp+effect processor, or high-quality tube amp+cab w/awesome speakers), Standard Mexican Strat single-coils sound awesome, and possess a surprisingly broad tonal palette.

On my HSS Strat, I do half the leads on the humbucker, and the other half on the neck-position, single-coil. The bridge-position humbucker is hot and treble-ey. The neck-position, single-coil is deep and toneful. But after that signal gets out of my preamp, it's all as gained-out as I need it.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by Guitarislife125
Stacked humbuckers are they not?

Still a single coil tone not to mention very very low output even for a single coil

IMO a single coil especially in the neck is ideal for shred tones, its got the cut and the smoothness thats perfect for fast runs,sweeps, taps ect ect.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Jazz is just as fast as shred sometimes, and most Jazz guitarists use humbuckers.

But shred is generally a sound/genre rather than a technique. Jazz ain't got anything to do with it.

But yes, most shredders do use humbuckers - high power ones are most common unless you're a swede playing a strat.
Quote by Malllen
But shred is generally a sound/genre rather than a technique. Jazz ain't got anything to do with it.

But yes, most shredders do use humbuckers - high power ones are most common unless you're a swede playing a strat.

tbh it's not really a sound/genre at all.

what do yngwie and shawn lane have in common?

both shred, both 2 completely different genres.

Paul Gilbert writes pop rock songs ffs.

a person is a shredder if they have a high level of mastery over their instrument and have good technical abilities so jazz guitarists can count as shred.

anyway, humbuckers aren't essential for shred but it's common for most shredders to have humbuckers in their guitars but if you like the tone that single coils give you then why would they prevent you from shredding?

You could do metal on single coil equipped guitars. If you like the tone then that's ok. but as previously stated Humbuckers are the standard for that type of music. especially zakk/kirk style playing, especially as they both use the exact same pickups (emg 81&85).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 31, 2007,
EMG's or Dimebucker
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Yeap, shredding doesn't have anything to do with the type of pickups. Is more dependent of the style of music you are playing.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Guitarfreak777
What you can't shred with actives?

No, actives are just as good as humbuckers if not better for shred depending on the tone your going for and how hot you want it.
Quote by bjovi400
EMG's or Dimebucker

EMG's maybe, but I wouldn't really recommend the Dimebucker.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
emg is pretty gay dude
ever plugged your amp into a trashcan with a sparkler bomb in it? thats what your guitar will sound like...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Nothing wrong with using a strat for shred. Just ask a certain Mr. Johnson. I tend to find bridge pickup with tone rolled off a little works well. Neck pickup too but that tends to lack a little bite.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by TJM2482

last time i checked, kirk was playing strats long before he played anything with buckers.........wierdest thing to see is the music video of "one" where he plays singl coil strats
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
^just search youtube "shred japan" u get all the MIJ yngwies.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i dunno. that 20yr old that actually doesn't have Yngwie hair? i think that guy is good. one with the ESP single coil and the hughes & kettener.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah he was I think his phrasing was a little more original. The fatter guy had the Yngwie image and sound down pretty close almost exact.

Cept he's dyin to get that fretboard scalloped haha