I need help with my amps volume. I have a 40 watt HRD and I use two Tubescreamers to get a really nice overdrive. I discovered today that if I crank the gain on the both tube screams and crank the levels on both (the DX is set to turbo) I get a VERY VERY nice sound with both my strat and les paul. However this presents a huge volume problem. I need a way to quiet down my amp. I know I could get an attenuator but I heard those suck tone, which sort of defeats the purpose of driving the hell out of it. Any ideas?
There's a way to lower your overall volume without sacrificing tone, but it would likely be too much trouble on a HRD. It involves installing a line-out feature after the power amp, a dummy load box for your speaker output, & a separate power amp to drive your cab. The line out would probably be around $120 US (or less), a load box could be had for around $100, & a separate power amp about $100, + a few more cables.
This is much more feasible on separate amp heads that already have a line out, but it would work if you wanted to spend the time & money.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I did some more research and it looked like THD yellow jackets might be able to help me, anyone have any experience with them?
^they're used for putting in a different type of tube, but i've heard from other people's experiences that they take them out after a while.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
just getta weber minimass 50 its probably the cheapest way to get away with less volume..it also uses a speaker motor or someithn so it doesnt rob you of tone the way other attenuators do, any cutting of volume will change tone though cuz your not pushing your speakers as hard
Quote by ECistheBest
^they're used for putting in a different type of tube, but i've heard from other people's experiences that they take them out after a while.

But I mean will they decrease my volume
^Slightly, yea, and they'll also lower the clean headroom so the signal will naturally distort sooner on the volume dial.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well thats sort of what I want. But right now its waaay too loud. I wish I knew how much they would bring the volume down.
well I heard the tone gets sucked out a bit, even if you get a really good one. Plus they're expensive and for that amount of money I could just buy like a Tiny Terror or something.
www.tedweber.com

$100~150 for quality less tone suckage attenuators.

they don't use power resistors, but they use speaker motors in their attenuators. thats the difference in tone preservance.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hmm I'll take a look at those

EDIT: They didn't get very good reviews on Harmony Central. I'm still skeptical.
Last edited by thebrewfan at Oct 31, 2007,