whenever my guitar moves, my pickups pickup all of the really small string vibrations. both of my guitars do this, but when i bought my second guitar and amp, it wasnt doing this in the store. ive tried standing far away from my amp, raising action, etc. any idea whats wrong here? its very obnoxious and sounds terrible.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
It can be quite difficult to avoid this. Palm-muting is a good start, practise muting any unwantend strings with your palm (you can also mute them with your fretting hand, in some situations that's easier)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
yeah. its probably that, but my amp sounds like crap without the gain on ten. to be more specific, if the gain gets put down to nine, it sounds like im on the neck pickup and someone stuffed a pillow in my amp.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
my response was to the gain problem. btw
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
If you have really high amounts of gain you're gonna hear every little movement you make. If you're sure your technique is alright and you're still having the problem you should invest in a new amp. Which amp are you currently using?
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Are your pups higher than they should be? Also try things like turning off the lights, etc where you play because it may be caused by some electrical interference. Try a different amp too.
If you mute with your fretting hand, this seriously cuts this down. Basically, say you have a finger on the 6th string, lean it over a shade so it just touches the 5th string, but doesn't hit a note. That'll stop the 5th string from buzzing. If you apply this to all of your fingers, and do while playing pretty much anything where it's not really cumbersome, you're sound is much less sloppy. It sounds a little bit crazy to use it all the time, but once you get used to doing it without thinking, it just kind happens and you don't need to try to do it, you just do.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
im using a peavey xxx 40w combo. is there some way i can make it sound less muffled without that much gain?
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Turn down the gain a bit and fiddle with your EQ. If you find that you're tone sounds muffled I'd suggest turning up the treble a bit.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

alright. im new to guitar (been playing about a year), but im pretty decent. however, while were on the subject, whats the difference between gain, distortion, and overdrive?
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX