I don't belive there is any 'rule' for this. There are a lot of different ways a pick can (slighly) influence your sound. The material it's made of, the shape, the size of the part of the pick that's actually touching the string, etc... I use ultex picks and they tend to make my tone sound just a little brighter, if I use thicker plastic ones my tone will be slightly less bright.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
i find thicker picks give a heavier, fuller sound, and thinner ones give lighter, more defined notes
You'll notice a slight change in general, but you just kind of have to listen for it. The people posting here before me give a good general idea, but to be honest, the change in tone is so slight it won't make a huge different. Play around with different ones until you find a pick you like.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i think material matters more than the thickness. i like the tone from celluloids. thick ones are more defined than thin ones. tortex is waht i used to use, it gives a lot mellower tone than the celluloids giving an edgier pick attack.

^its different for everybody. every change on my guitar is big to me.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i think material matters more than the thickness. i like the tone from celluloids. thick ones are more defined than thin ones. tortex is waht i used to use, it gives a lot mellower tone than the celluloids giving an edgier pick attack.

+1

Thin ones sound tinny, I use them for electric and for strumming.

Gotta be careful too. I use a med. size pick...if I use an extra heavy and play Rude Mood like I do, i'll snap my strings xD
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Stiffness and mass are the key differences. Heavier and harder picks give harder attack and more volume.
Main Rig: ' 62 Reissue Strat, Crybaby Classic, Big Muff, Small Stone, Small Clone, Stereo Pulsar, Deluxe Memory Man, Hot Rod Deluxe (heavily modded w/ Jensen C12K speaker). Martin D-16gt. Deering Goodtime 2.
It makes almost no difference. Like they said above me, Thinner=Brighter, Thicker=Heavier. But I must say if you're playing with distortion then you notice pretty much no difference what so ever.
Feed your mind.
^i discussed this already, but it seems like ur the one without an ear.

(might be a bit harsh. sorry. )
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i seriously think picks have alot to do with tone. i use 1.5's because it gives a way more powerful sound and you have more choice over the dynamics.

and firebread with distortion i notice that thin picks sorta make like powerchords and the like a muddier sound while heavier ones give a crisper tone. Like if someone plays my guitar through my equuipment but with a thin pick it doesnt sound as good.
Yeah, I consider the tone difference between picks to be huge.
Main Rig: ' 62 Reissue Strat, Crybaby Classic, Big Muff, Small Stone, Small Clone, Stereo Pulsar, Deluxe Memory Man, Hot Rod Deluxe (heavily modded w/ Jensen C12K speaker). Martin D-16gt. Deering Goodtime 2.