I'm getting really pissed while trying to play Bark at the Moon. Two chords sound the same when I play them, when they should sound a bit different.

--------     --------
---10---     ----8---
----9---     ----9---
----7--- and ----7---
--------     --------
--------     --------

I'm playing an Ibanez S470 through a Microcube. I've tried messing with the tone and gain, changing distortion, and changing the pickup switch. Is there anything else that I can do to try and get it to sound right?
well most chords sound quite bad through distortion, just make sure your hitting that B string right, as thats the one note different
Um maybe your not playing it right? because no matter what if you play the chords correctly it will sound right. Maybe you have too much distortion on to tell the difference.
the chords are going to sound similar because they share two of the same notes. The way to make them sound different is to accent the notes on the b string. If your distortion is too muddy then try to brighten it up. If not then you can try playing those chords with upstrokes (except that would make it a lot harder).
might be a little too distorted. play a little cleaner. how's your amp?
kinda reminds me of the riff from "No One Knows" the chords' difference is subtle.
Quote by amputecture
might be a little too distorted. play a little cleaner. how's your amp?
kinda reminds me of the riff from "No One Knows" the chords' difference is subtle.

It's "Bark at the Moon," actually.

I've tried turning down the distortion, and hitting the B string harder than the others. Still doesn't have much of an effect.
It will be distortion - just tried it on my S470 through my vox and the difference is quite blatant even on high distortion, with boosted mids especially. Sounds nice on the neck pickup too.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1