i have to make a brochure about the temperance movement in the 1800's i need a couple key issues about the movement, so far i have

-People believed that alcohol abuse cause poverty, crime, and unemployment.
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
An interesting side note on alcohol: many cities in the US believed that alcohol was the sole source of crime, and, on the eve of prohibition, sold their jails.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I blame women.

FYI: It was spear-headed by the League of Women Voters (yes, yes, they couldn't vote, but they tried to get it done while trying to do so.)
GAS List:
Nothing
watch The Simpsons episode, "Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment" it'll tell you all you need to know about prohibition.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Maryland was the only state never to pass state enforcement policy on prohibition. Baltimore businesses continued to produce and sell alcohol. The Chesapeake Bay was also a prime area for bootleggers because it was still legal to make liquor in Maryland.
i need more overall issues, not just facts. like the point of the brochure is to try and get people to join the reform. So i guess I want negative issues about the movement like why should you join it and what not
A lot of the women protested alcohol because their husbands would often come home drunk and abuse them as a result.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
^ah now theres something i can use, thanks
Carrie Nations - Bad ass bitch with an axe.
Probably has more bars named after her than any on the woman on the planet.
And ya I'm trying to visit them all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
alcohol was the mother of all sins. they also didn't like movie theaters because they were "places of temptation". alcohol abuse led to lots of things, which is why they wanted it banned. divorce, child abuse, spousal abuse, dangers at work, higher crime rates, robberies, murders... etc. that led to the 18th amendment which was passed in 1919 banning alcohol. 21st amendment was passed in 1933 saying that the 18th sucked and they want to get drunk again.

just got done with that a couple chapters ago, getting ready to start WW1 next week. right now we're on hawaii, spanish american war, and the panama canal.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Ummmm guys. He's asking about the temperance movement of the 1800's
Not prohibition. 2 different eras. 2 different results.
Temperance movements started in the 1870's due in large part to the depression that followed the U.S. Civil war. Damn if you ain't got a job you gotta do something with your time don't you? Temeperance died out in the 1890's and did not resurrect it's ugly head until our next depression.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Research Carrie Nations. She used to go into bars and bust up bottles with a hatchet. She was also put into jail a lot for this.

Edit: Guy above me, there were two different temperance movements. I know that you think one is prohibition (the later one), but that's simply the name of the amendment passed.

C.C. Deville, what books do you guys use. We're learning the same stuff right now.
"The poor didn't want this one."
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
Research Carrie Nations. She used to go into bars and bust up bottles with a hatchet. She was also put into jail a lot for this.

Edit: Guy above me, there were two different temperance movements. I know that you think one is prohibition (the later one), but that's simply the name of the amendment passed.

C.C. Deville, what books do you guys use. We're learning the same stuff right now.

Ummm guy above me? Did you read the whole thread? I mean it's not like it's 10 pages long.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
Girl, and yes. I just missed the 1800s part .

My bad as well. I missed the Ibeagirl part Forgiven?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
My bad as well. I missed the Ibeagirl part Forgiven?

Forgiven

And no, it wasn't like the progressive movement.

Well, actually. The 2nd temperance movement was part of the progressive movement I guess, but the one during the 1800s wasn't.
so was it like reforms and trust busting and **** like that? cuz i know that lotsa progressives workeds towards prohibition
and the progressive movement WAS in the 1800s. early 1900s too
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass

Big red Mcdougal Littel book that says "The Americans" we dont learn out of the book though because we have a different curriculum where we learn by "themes" instead of chapter by chapter, i like it because i dont have to lug that big book around everyday haha
Progressive movement = trustbusting, temperance, reforms.
Temperance simply = no alcohol.

And, you're right. It was right at the turn of the century. But there was another movement, right during or a little after the civil war I think.
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
Progressive movement = trustbusting, temperance, reforms.
Temperance simply = no alcohol.

And, you're right. It was right at the turn of the century. But there was another movement, right during or a little after the civil war I think.

It's been a long time since I was in school but if I remember correctly Carrie Nations began her "Assault on Alcohol"( Ya I saw a picture in a bar of her with that slogan on their bandwagon) in 1869. A lot of veterans came home from war and could do nothing else but drink.
Sorry C.C. I can think of nothing for your brochure to encourage people to join that movement. Now if you were writing a brochure against it ....
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I think the brochure's to encourage people to go anti-alcohol
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
I think the brochure's to encourage people to go anti-alcohol

You are correct sir. Where the hell have you been man?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
It had a huge effect on early feminism.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"