hey i want to install a dimebucker in the bridge of my ibanez RG.
the only thing is it has a flowd rose style bridge and when i bought the guitar the dude told me "whatever you do never take all the strings off this guitar"
and i understand that you;re supposed to take all the strings off your guitar to install a new pickup.
so how would i do this?
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
You could just slacken the strings until you can get the pickup out and replace it.
you could take the strings off, change the pickups and take the time to learn how to restring a floyd rose (it has to be done sometime), or you could take it to a shop and get them to do it for a price.
the guy was just being a typical music store dick head,
u can take the strings off of ur guitar and then wen ur done just restring it.......... not that that is gonna be an easy feat, it took me about 3 hours the first time i tried to restring my floyd rose............. still u can find how to's on the net about doing it
You can do it! You can do it all night loong!

no seriously...take them off, it will just be a pain to restring. BUT...mixing an active dimebucker with (i am assuming) passive pickups is going to require some advanced wiring...it can be done...but ide get all active or all passives.
^^tru i had no idea dimebucker was active................ u should just go all out an get an emg set MOAR METTLE!!!!!!!
Quote by metalimaster
^^tru i had no idea dimebucker was active................ u should just go all out an get an emg set MOAR METTLE!!!!!!!

haha
okay thanks for your help
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Okay, so first of all... the SH-13 Dimebucker is a passive pick-up...
Second... dont know why he said that but.. you might as well get some new strings anyway..
Obviously that would mean... taking the strings off first... and unless your changing gauges.. I see no reason to touch the springs. Go through with the installation and what not.. but the next part is crucial.

When you put your new strings in... make sure you prop up your bridge with something. Meaning, put something between the bridge and the body to keep it at the level you want it to be at. Then go through the long tuning process, and then once your in tune, remove the item you used to prop the bridge up, and it should just slip right out.
I use a drumstick.. that works for me, you could use that or something of that thickness.
You could also use a butter knife if you set it up right.

Good choice with the dimebucker.
I don't know anything about floyd rose tremolos, but I have some other advice.

Dimebag Darrel never used a dimebucker. He had a Bill Lawrence L-500 XL in the bridge of his guitars.

As a side note, a pickup change won't matter all that much with your current amp. Save up for a 5150 or something and you will be quite pleased by your tone.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
Quote by metalimaster

The dimebucker isn't active....just crap.

TS - get a Dimarzio D-Sonic instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Now now.. its not that bad.. I dont think its nearly as bad as most say it is, I know Dime used the Bill Lawrence L-500 XL (hand wound) for most of his axes but... I'd say the Dimebucker has some pretty good properties. Instead of like... screws being the catalyst of the magnetism it uses the double blades which not only is really cool looking but its very well balanced. And by balanced I mean it has great string definition even when very overdriven, not only that but palm muting is pretty percussive sounding, and I'd say overall its quite a decent bridge pickup, sure it could be tons better.. but not something to bash I think.
Last edited by SamZee at Nov 1, 2007,
I have used a dimebucker in the bridge of my brian moore i8p for three years now and I am very happy with it. Good thick sound with good clarity. the thing squeals. I also like the Seymour duncan "duncan distortion" pickup too. a good high output pickup with a good tone to it.
whoever told you that was moronic.

Strings on a floyd rose are a bitch to change especially if you dont know how it works or how to take care of it. Basically, its a floating piece of metal that is balanced from spring and string tension. So if you slacken one string, all the other strings will start to go sharp, and if you lower tighten one string, all the other will start going flat.

Also if you dont want to have to adjust the level of your bridge (its suppose to be parallel with the body) or the intonation, make sure to get the same gauge strings.

as far as the dimebucker... no... your paying for the name thats about it. I take it you play a lot of metal then? I believe dimebag actually used bill lawrence pickups which are really nice and not to expensive, but not to many people know about them.

I personally love my seymour duncan SH-5. But it really depends on your budget and what kind of music you play
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
how are you paying for the name? The price only lists as around $10-$15 more. I didn't pay more than $72 for mine and have been happy with it ever since. but, it still goes back to what people like and don't like I guess.
Quote by SamZee
Okay, so first of all... the SH-13 Dimebucker is a passive pick-up...
Second... dont know why he said that but.. you might as well get some new strings anyway..
Obviously that would mean... taking the strings off first... and unless your changing gauges.. I see no reason to touch the springs. Go through with the installation and what not.. but the next part is crucial.

When you put your new strings in... make sure you prop up your bridge with something. Meaning, put something between the bridge and the body to keep it at the level you want it to be at. Then go through the long tuning process, and then once your in tune, remove the item you used to prop the bridge up, and it should just slip right out.
I use a drumstick.. that works for me, you could use that or something of that thickness.
You could also use a butter knife if you set it up right.

Good choice with the dimebucker.

+1, i use a ruler to prop the bridge up.

ts: if u dont prop the bridge up, when u take off the strings the bridge will sink into the cavity and ur goin to be badly screwed when u get to that point.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer