I have as much as $500 to spend on a new bass amp, but I need this amp to double as a guitar amp using an FX pedal. I figure no 1x15 as one 15" speaker couldn't do guitar sounds well, so need either a 1x12, 1x10, or 2x10(prefered). I was thinking a Fender Rumble 100 2x10 or a Gallien-Krueger Backline 210, or even a used Ampeg BA210, along with a good guitar FX pedal.

Any recommendations on which Bass combo amp would suit my needs best? Also, any recommendations on a good, but not super expensive multi-FX pedal?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
no bass amp can double as a guitar amp unless u don't mind replacing speakers often.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong......wrong....

No guitar amp can double as a bass amp. You got it mixed up.
Ben
If your willing to use solid state, and have 2 different cabs, you could use a Crate Powerblock. The only amp I am aware of that is supposed to be able to do guitar and bass is the Orange Thunderverb, and they are 2000 dollars.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by funkbass369
no bass amp can double as a guitar amp unless u don't mind replacing speakers often.

No a bass amp can be used to play a guitar through, but you cant play a bass through a guitar amp.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

as long as you dont play bass on a guitar amp
i would say just get a guitar amp tho cuz tthey often have built in guitar effects. and it gets pricy with all those pedals
fender bassman! (obviously)

it was originally designed as a bass amp but guitarists liked the clean tone so much they took it on lol

AND its £449 on the interwebz
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by muffinman123192
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong......wrong....

No guitar amp can double as a bass amp. You got it mixed up.

Actually, some bassists that like ultra dirty tones use guitar amps for bass amps. It'll work, but you'll need an appropriate set of speakers. IT's the speakers that will blow/rip, not the amp head.

And one more thing: Thunderverb. Guitar amp that can adjust frequencies for bass guitar.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by samtewari
fender bassman! (obviously)

it was originally designed as a bass amp but guitarists liked the clean tone so much they took it on lol

AND its £449 on the interwebz

Those work, but its not your generic bass sound. The only good bass sound I've ever heard out of a Bassman was a New Order/Joy Division sound with a chorus. Note that Peter Hook of New Order/Joy Division play 90% of his basslines above the 10th fret, and his sound is really trebly. The prices I've seen them in local stores are closer to $1000.

Quote by rhymeswith suck
Those work, but its not your generic bass sound. The only good bass sound I've ever heard out of a Bassman was a New Order/Joy Division sound with a chorus. Note that Peter Hook of New Order/Joy Division play 90% of his basslines above the 10th fret, and his sound is really trebly. The prices I've seen them in local stores are closer to $1000.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4125

£449

still though, for what he's asking for its perfect
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Yeah, that's a bass bassman, the 59's were the popular guitar/bass amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

actually looking more closely there's alot of differences

...damn

</n00b>
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

That Bassman is just a solidstate bass amp that has been in production for a couple of years. The bassman was an old 50's/60's all-tube guitar amp that was in fact intended for bass, but its voicing was much more trebly/gritty/unpleasant on bass but sounded fantastic on guitar. There have been many issues and re-issues over the years, such as a 70's silverface edition head, and the classic 59' Blonde 4x10 combo. Its one of Fenders classic line of amps that up there with the Twin and the Vibrolux, Vibroverb.

EDIT:
Quote by samtewari
actually looking more closely there's alot of differences

...damn

</n00b>

It helps not to be so critical. People make mistakes, get over it.

why the hell would they want to name a sh*tty solid state bass piece of junk after one of the most sought after tone machines EVER?

^ i was criticising myself lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Last edited by samtewari at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by rhymeswith suck
That Bassman is just a solidstate bass amp that has been in production for a couple of years. The bassman was an old 50's/60's all-tube guitar amp that was in fact intended for bass, but its voicing was much more trebly/gritty/unpleasant on bass but sounded fantastic on guitar. There have been many issues and re-issues over the years, such as a 70's silverface edition head, and the classic 59' Blonde 4x10 combo. Its one of Fenders classic line of amps that up there with the Twin and the Vibrolux, Vibroverb.

EDIT:

It helps not to be so critical. People make mistakes, get over it.

He was talking about himself, in effect, he was making fun of himself, ending his n00bness about the subject.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
Actually, some bassists that like ultra dirty tones use guitar amps for bass amps. It'll work, but you'll need an appropriate set of speakers. IT's the speakers that will blow/rip, not the amp head.

And one more thing: Thunderverb. Guitar amp that can adjust frequencies for bass guitar.

We already had this discussion in the DSL thread lol.

And I was going to say T-Verb, but that's a wee bit (just a little ) out of his range.
Ben
Quote by Staz80
I have as much as $500 to spend on a new bass amp, but I need this amp to double as a guitar amp using an FX pedal. I figure no 1x15 as one 15" speaker couldn't do guitar sounds well, so need either a 1x12, 1x10, or 2x10(prefered).

One of my favorite guitar amps is the Peavey Delta Blues fitted with one 15" speaker. Amp sounds awesome. Stevie Ray Vaughan played thru 15's regularly, and some people like the way his guitar sounded...

So first, obviously, you need to get out of that paradigm.

After that, the absolute best would be a vintage all tube bass amp. The Traynor YBA-1 or an Ampeg B15 (or similar). After that, a higher wattage tube head fitted with a bass cab would do both jobs. I've played bass thru a Marshall JCM900 on top of a reflex bin. Not a combo, but the best I can come up with.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by muffinman123192
We already had this discussion in the DSL thread lol.

And I was going to say T-Verb, but that's a wee bit (just a little ) out of his range.

Then why did you say that no guitar amp can double as a bass amp? What's why I said what i did about ultra dirty bass tones from a guitar amp and mentioning the Tverb, an amp that does exactly what you said guitar amps can't do.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I assumed he was talking combo for some odd reason, that was my fault.

But isn't the Tverb meant to be a bass amp and people just like the guitar tone? Maybe I'm just retarded, I dunno.
Ben
Nah, the Tverb was meant to be a guitar amp, but they designed it to handle low frequencies for 7 string and baritone guitars. In the middle of the process, the probably said "**** it, let's let them use a bass guitar with it"
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12