ive never had a distortion pedal before. or any pedal for that matter. but im thinking about buying a distortion pedal, because using my amp gain to distort it makes my guitar extremely sensitive. im looking for something that will be extremely crisp, clear, and cover most, if not all genres. suggestions? btw, i only have about 100 bucks to kill on this.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
$100 will buy you a BOSS DS-1 or an MT-2, which are both pretty good pedals.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Boss DS-1 hands down.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. Alot of people get scared of the "metal" part, but with a touch of reverb and the right EQ setting this pedal can do just about anything.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
mt-2 is good, might be hard to find "your" sound at first, but once you do you'll love it
Most will say BOSS DS-1, for $40 which will save you $60. It's good for the price; but if you've already saved $100, I say keep saving for a new amp.

Edit: But if you're set on getting a pedal, get the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff.

Edit: Beaten to it!
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
If you're just looking for a basic easy to use pedal, the Boss DS-1 is only $40 and will cover most, if not all genres. But I would suggest that you go to your local guitar store, tell them your budget and try out a bunch of different pedals to see what you like.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
hmmm, ds-1 is the lesser version of the mt-2, the mt-2 just has alittle more gain to it, and a mid/mid freq to it.
mt-2

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Get a DS-1. It's a great pedal. I you turn up the trebel and bass on your amp, and turn down the Mid, it sounds great!