In my essay I have a quote but I'm not sure if I should reference it in the essay or put a footnote.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
Do it like this.

I'm rambling along about something that is probably important but that I otherwise would have no interest in. Words, words, words. "Something somebody else--somebody important--said about this topic" (Author's last name ##(pg no)). More of my words. Words words words that mean something to somebody somewhere.

At least that's how you do it in MLA. It's a good way to let someone else's voice into your paper, to acknowledge that you aren't the only one talking about the important (?) subject.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Do it like this.

I'm rambling along about something that is probably important but that I otherwise would have no interest in. Words, words, words. "Something somebody else--somebody important--said about this topic" (Author's last name ##(pg no)). More of my words. Words words words that mean something to somebody somewhere.

At least that's how you do it in MLA. It's a good way to let someone else's voice into your paper, to acknowledge that you aren't the only one talking about the important (?) subject.

hes right thoe.. but its a funny example
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
It's a quote from a Pantera song so there wouldn't be a page number so would I just put Philip Anselmo?
Ooh, no.

I'm talking about Pantera for some reason. This essay is inherently awesome. "Lyrics lyrics/ Second line of lyrics" ("Song Title"). Discussion of said lyrics.

Then citing the song you have to put all kinds of BS, I think it goes "Song." Artist. Album. Release information and date.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Ok cool, thanks man.

Edit: Should I put a foot note at the end of the quote and then just write the citation at the bottom of the page or end of the essay?
Last edited by Skippy_McNutty at Oct 30, 2007,
Put the parenthetical right at the end of the sentence with the quote. Then put the citation in your "Works Cited" page.

If your teacher is asking for footnotes, you really don't need the parenthetical at all. It would go more like this:

Kickass essay about Pantera. Something they wrote about. "Lyrics as evidence."3 Evaluation.

Then the citation would go under footnote 3, in this example.
If my superscript breaks, I'll edit to fix it.

SHEdit: I guess I can't figure out how to make superscript. That 3? Let's pretend it's superscript. /SHEdit

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Oct 30, 2007,