Usually learn the easier parts first, then practice the harder parts when i've got the other bits down.
i just start from the start of it, in chunks. start slow, and dont move on past a chunk until you have it nailed. otherwise you'll end up learning the whole solo and it will sound ****.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
I listen to it heaps so I know what it sounds like, then play all the way through it slowly so I can see the overall scheme of things, then bore into it from the start, learning little bits and slowly building it up to the full solo.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
It the depends on the difficulty, of course, but usually I break it into chunks, then tie them together when I got each one down. And of course metronome, playing slow at first, and all that jazz.

Edit: I also usually learn the rhythm and stuff for the entire song first, then start working on the solo. I think it's easier to get the solos right when I "know" the song.
Last edited by kyrreca at Oct 31, 2007,
i just learn it in from the beginning to the end all the way through. with solos i learn each lick seperatly and then speed it up. i practice the licks then i combine the first two, then add the next, and the next, etc.
lol dont bother its awaist of time just use the key and write yr own solo for the song:P
Quote by natedapunk
lol dont bother its awaist of time just use the key and write yr own solo for the song:P

learning solos is a really good way to practice technique and a good way to see how quality solos are put together
also a big waiste of time :P but ok yah u probly should at least check out a few good solos done by others
Quote by natedapunk
also a big waiste of time :P but ok yah u probly should at least check out a few good solos done by others

Just like learning how to spell is a waste of time? Learning songs is a crucial part of learning ho to play the guitar, and solos are part of the song. If you think spending time getting better at your instrument is a waste, I don't really understand why you're playing.