My Favorites:
Ghost Riders in the Sky by the Outlaws
Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Stairway to Heaven by if you dont know the artist leave now
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Over the Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin ^
just like heaven - the cure, wish you were here, pink floyd
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Quote by corb9191

+1
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
hotel california?

more than a feeling?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i think tangerine by led zeppelin is on a 12 string
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
a lot of people forget about over the hills and far away for some reason when they think of 12 string songs. Oh yeah thanks for Tangerine and More than a Feeling.
^was it played with a 12 string? never knew that... it always sounded like a 6 string and like a banjo...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by corb9191

+2
That and Classical Gas. Tough to pull off but it sounds pretty neat IMO
pretty much any boston song.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles)
Amanda (Boston)
Anytime At All (The Beatles)
Eight Miles High (The Byrds)
Father Christmas (Greg Lake) AMAZING!!!!
Free Falling (Tom Petty)
Give A Little Bit (Supertramp)
Hotel California (The Eagles) AMAZING!!!!
If I Needed Someone (The Beatles)
Jumpin' Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)
Maggie May (Rod Stewart)
More Than A Feeling (Boston) AMAZING!!!!
Mr. Tambourine Man (The Byrds)
Sister Golden Hair (America) AMAZING!!!!
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) AMAZING!!!!
Still, You Turn Me On (ELP)
Suite Madame Blue (Styx)
The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin)
The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin)
Ticket To Ride (The Beatles)
Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrds) AMAZING!!!!
Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi) AMAZING!!!!
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) AMAZING!!!!
You Wear It Well (Rod Stewart)
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (The Beatles)
Ghost Riders In The Night (The Outlaws) AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Tony Done
I'm an old folkie, so I think of Pete Seeger and the Springfields. In particular Seeger's melody for Davies' "Bells of Rhymney" was written specifically to utilise 12-string guitar tones
The Byrds did a bang up job on that tune as well! heres John Denver giving it a go;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZgIlYSgiA
Quote by Wattyballs
The Bells of Rhymney (The Byrds)
Well, first of all, anything the Byrds ever did is pretty much a slam dunk as "a good 12 string song". But more importantly, "Bells of Rhymney" was written by Pete Seeger . It was also performed by none other than John Denver on his big old Guild 12 string.

And here's a bonus video from the same time frame. Grace Slick & The Jefferson Airplane doing "White Rabbit" at Woodstock!

And yeah, it could be a good 12 string song. I don't want anyone to think I threw it in here gratuitously...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 15, 2016,
Captaincranky

John Denver is good, but I can't go past Pete Seeger, purely for sentimental reasons.

Also, JD is wrong, Pete Seeger didn't write it. Idris Davies wrote it as a poem, and Pete put it to music. Very powerful lyrics if you understand what coal mining was like back then, and probably still is in many parts of the world..
Quote by Tony Done
John Denver is good, but I can't go past Pete Seeger, purely for sentimental reasons.
I was going to post a Pete Seeger version of the song as well. If only I could have figured out why he rolls his "R's" when he sings it. That said, Denver has the better voice, and the Byrds version is much smoother, and ostensibly, the song works out better with their extensive vocal harmonies. (But really, who knows how much of the Byrds version was contributed by, "Thew Wrecking Crew".

Quote by Tony Done
Also, JD is wrong, Pete Seeger didn't write it. Idris Davies wrote it as a poem, and Pete put it to music. Very powerful lyrics if you understand what coal mining was like back then, and probably still is in many parts of the world..
Well, lyrics to songs are generally poems, and I'm sure Pete knew what to pinch to make his point. We had a similar discussion recently about, "Parcel of Rogues in a Nation" as well.

In the interest of diligent research, I also tried to find out if Henry the VIII really did write "Greensleeves", but Wiki was not supportive to that theory at all.

They claim the "composition was in a style not found in England until after Henry's death". Way to go, I never thought that tyrant wrote the music, only the words.

Grace Slick looks and phrases like she's really stoned.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 16, 2016,
I love the 12 in open D major with mediums. Some of my favorites are "Colours" (Donovan) which is played mainly by sliding parallel fingering on the 2nd and 5th strings. "Dear Prudence" and "Blackbird" in the same style. "Norwegian Wood"(also Beatles).
"Eight Miles High" (WOW!). "Question" (Moody Blues) incredible! A lot of the TOMMY album especially "Captain Walker/It's A Boy" and "Amazing Journey".
"Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (Gordon Lightfoot).
Made my own acoustic version of a deathless song by parkway drive, sounds pretty amazing on a 12
Yes' Starship Trooper. Here's a couple guys playing around with the big solo/outro as part of a gear demo.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Captaincranky

Old thread, but never mind. Henry had his shortcomings, no doubt, but he did father Elizabeth (as far as we know) and she was definitely made of the right stuff. It's ironic that his whole life revolved around begetting a male heir, and Elizabeth turned out to be one of the best monarchs we ever had.

skido13

When I had a 12-string I used to keep it in open D and play slide, trad blues.