Is anyone out there either got, or studying for a degree in English (lit or langauge)? If so, what job have you got/ are you hoping to get with your degree. I am asking as I am in my first year, and doing english as i have no idea what career i want and I really love english.
Thanks for any help.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Well, to get started, correct usage is "have," not "got."
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I just declared myself an English major. Haha...

I don't know what I want to do with it. I just didn't want to be undeclared anymore, and since I liked English and was good at it, I declared it as my major. Great reason, I know.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Well, to get started, correct usage is "have," not "got."

Actually it would not be "have" unless I had said "does anyone out there...", rather than "is anyone out there...". And I realise I said it wrong aswell, but at least I didnt waste my time typing something completely usless and incorrect into a thead in a vain attepmt to make myself look good, when in fact I am just making myself look like an arrogant and ignorant idiot.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
I think that he was justified in saying what he said, because it's ironic that an English major would have such bad grammar.
Quote by Malakian=God
Actually it would not be "have" unless I had said "does anyone out there...", rather than "is anyone out there...". And I realise I said it wrong aswell, but at least I didnt waste my time typing something completely usless and incorrect into a thead in a vain attepmt to make myself look good, when in fact I am just making myself look like an arrogant and ignorant idiot.

If you say "is anyone out there" both "have" and "got" will sound pretty bad....
English degrees are more for stuff you do on the side of your real job. Like writing columns for a paper, etc. You're not going to establish yourself as a famous writer just because you got some useless degree.
english ftl

engineering ftw
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Malakian=God

There's nothing ignorant about what he said.

Journalism? It's what my friend wants to do, and he's studying for english. Work experience is key.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
My mate's doing a PhD in English right now, I'll ask him some time, although (surprise surprise :p I think he wants to be a teacher.

Who cares if it's a 'useless' degree though? If you enjoy it a lot, then good on you - I know for a fact I wanna stay in education for as long as possible, and I'd rather do a degree which interests me rather than one which is useful and that I wouldn't enjoy, which is why I'm gonna be doing Classical Civilisation next year (hopefully).

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
It's always tempted me, but it is not where the money is at... I'll just write on the side..
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
if you choose your degree strictly on where the money is at, you will likely be miserable for the rest of your life.
Quote by schecter_guy
if you choose your degree strictly on where the money is at, you will likely be miserable for the rest of your life.

But you can read and write without a degree. Studying literature is more of a hobby then a career, and I'd wager that most novelists have a day job.
I am studying English language and literature (and Spanish) and after next year I will train to be an English literature teacher.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by schecter_guy

Not strictly where it's at, but it's a big factor. I fortunately enjoy most things in life. And fortunately, writing is something that can be done anytime, anywhere.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Malakian=God
Is anyone out there either got, or studying for a degree in English (lit or langauge)? If so, what job have you got/ are you hoping to get with your degree. I am asking as I am in my first year, and doing english as i have no idea what career i want and I really love english.
Thanks for any help.

You'll definitely get a journalism job with that, anything to do with writing. Wait, what university are you at? I'm still in wonder whether to read History or English at uni, either way I could get a job as a journalist.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by denizenz
Most useless degree ever. Get a Masters/PHD and hope to teach college level. I know two people with a four year in English, and they both wait tables at franchise restaurants.

Where did they study? If you go to Oxford or Cambridge and come out with a first degree in English, you can get a job anywhere in the wolrd where writing is needed.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by schecter_guy

1) You don't need an English degree to read or write.
2) If you choose a useless degree with no job potential, you'll make no money, and you will be miserable for the rest of your short life. Short because you'll die of starvation.

Quote by Froddy
Who cares if it's a 'useless' degree though? If you enjoy it a lot, then good on you - I know for a fact I wanna stay in education for as long as possible, and I'd rather do a degree which interests me rather than one which is useful and that I wouldn't enjoy, which is why I'm gonna be doing Classical Civilisation next year (hopefully).

What job will this degree get you?
Quote by freddaahh
Where did they study? If you go to Oxford or Cambridge and come out with a first degree in English, you can get a job anywhere in the wolrd where writing is needed.

Rofl, We're in the US, and they didn't go to an "ivy league" school here either.
I was an English Major until this last year. I loved the course work and had a blast in the classes, but I decided to drop it as my major because I don't want to be a teacher. Unless you have connections or are convinced you are a good writer (i.e. extremly arrogant and probably not a good writer) teaching is about all you can do. That may only be in the midwest, however (IL, IN area). On the upside, if you carry through and get a Phd you can be a serious asshole. The amount of **** you can talk to people of any walk of life is just amazing. so - major in English if you want to become the biggest prick ever and teach classes that serve no purpose other than making other English majors. Its a self fulfilling cycle.
Oh yeah, there is always journalism. Have fun making **** up and acting like you know what you are talking about. You write to eat not for the pleasure of writing in this case.