Alright... im thinking pretty heavily (as i always do because i am ****ing metal) about going to music school. a few questions come to mind that i am unable to get answers for from regular posted information online and ****. ill just number them for lazy people who dont read the whole thread.

1. Competetive? I know guitar isn't the ****ing piccolo... i mean how many people do you know are really serious about playing tiny flutes? hahahaha fags.
2. WTF do i have to know? how much know-how do i have to know to not get blown away and instead be the one doing the blowing away?
3. Auditions? how hard are they and what can i do to prepare in general... music theory, memorization, and other boring but essentially important junk.
4. Admition? how can i improve my chances of getting in?
5. Chix? how hot are the chix at these music schools? im not talking about the choir girls. do they put out like regular college girls?

so in conclusion... maybe ive asked the same question a few times over but i just am at a complete loss about the subject and if there is anyone out there who can help with some info it would be appreciated.

and im sorry about spelling errors and typos, im typing with one hand as my other hand is in your girlfriend.

-THANKS!

That worked for me.

And college isn't all about the women. Music school is hard as hell and you are gonna have to focus on your studies a ton unless you already know a lot, which you don't. Also, most college girls don't go for the whole "d00d hEvY METTAL AWWEEESOME IMA GO LIFT WEIGHTS" sort of thing. Most of them got sick of that **** back in high school. Have some class if you want to be successful with college girls. That means no calling people "fags," no calling women "chix," and no lewd comments about having one hand in my girlfriend. All of the girls there know more about music than you do, so don't expect them to be impressed by whatever crappy Lamb of God songs you know or whatever.
Last edited by SkyValley at Oct 30, 2007,
My advice: Go to regular college. Get a real job. Keep guitar as a hobby.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
lol... yeah trust... i dont really care about the chicks... i am very serious about this idea and i have til feb 2010 to study up (cuz thats when i get out of the army!) and a year to go here in iraq will be helpful for my studies. but i am looking for some details if you could spare some time to share some with me about how good you really need to be to get in/be successful.
haha +1

and thread starter, are you trying to come off as a total tard? becuase i can allready tell you have no chance of getting into music school or any other college, put down your guitar and just kill yourself

you are an idiot and a drain on society
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by HardR0cker153
Are you sure you are mature enough to go to college? you sound like a 13 year old...

nah dude... im just strung out and in a stupid mood... been drinking rip-its trying to stay awake on this stupid shift... excuse the bad jokes.
+2

Yeh, even if you're a gun musician, they most likely won't let you in because you seem like an idiot/tool.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by axeslinger01
haha +1

and thread starter, are you trying to come off as a total tard? becuase i can allready tell you have no chance of getting into music school or any other college, put down your guitar and just kill yourself

you are an idiot and a drain on society

drain on society? im in iraq right now dude... doing what i can to ****ing help and im a drain? eat a bag of dicks.
haha, you wont get in lawl.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
ah im ****ing with you since you sounded dumb, thanks for defending the country, just try to be more serious if you're asking a serious question

you're best bet is to bone up on theory, and be able to proform in from of people calmly (you will need it for your various auditions you will go through)

make sure you are commited to practice 4-10 hours a day or more

good luck man, just make sure you understand the theory and have a passion for inproving
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Last time I checked the war in Iraq was considered a drain on society, and on human progress altogether.

Isn't there an Army Band or something? They tried to recruit me a few years back but I refuse to take part in any form of military activity. They mentioned they have electric guitarists there, though, so maybe try that or meet up with the Army Band guitarist and see if he'll teach you stuff.

Also, learn to read sheet music. This is crucial. Stop using Tabulature. Transcribe the songs you know into sheet music. This will help you learn the fretboard notes as well as the notes on the staff. If you don't know how to do that then pick up a Theory book or two.
well im doing auditions all this year.A few things you should now about college and guitar.

1.Guitar in college is way harder and least like than bass(im a bass player)
2.You need to know everything and more.no matter how much you know there is someone who knows more.
3.You make fun of piccolo players,they get more ass than steve vai.
4.you need to take private lessons with some one REALLY good.no matter if you think you need them or not,it looks good on a colloge resume
5.I have already auditioned at FSU,TU,and sent tapes in to Berklee.The auditions are brutal,like knowing a complex jazz chord as soon as they say it(no looking at te fretboard and counting dots),Berklee required a 5-minut improv tape that has to change key at least 8 times.

In conclusion,your maturaty level tells me your not ready and probably will never be ready.Save your money and get a normal job.(btw your other hand couldnt possibly be in my girlfriend becuase she is in my bathroom washing her mouth out)
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
You'll need lots of theory. And not just scale patterns either. You'll probably need to be decent at sight reading from a staff. Not to mention unless you're studying specifically for guitar, guitar isn't the best instrument to go in to college with anyway. I know it's probably too late to learn, but piano is much better for that sorta thing.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
alright... and first and foremost... iraq is ****ing ****ty and i dont know why we are ****ing here so yeah i agree this is a drain on society and a killer of my friends but if anything blame the ****s in office and not the guys over here like me scratching my ass wondering how the hell i went from being free to being forced by threat of jail time to deploy over here and having bombs that ****ing kill you hit next to the place i sleep. WTF!

oh and army band is for queers really. u play like 5 songs over and over again at stupid balls in a bow-tie.

so yeah good advice... i grabbed up some books about theory because i realize you can only dodge it for so long... im really a noob at theory but i have speed and coodination down pretty good and can pretty much play anything i get my hands on like Vai and ****. i guess its just going to have to be practice, practice...
Quote by Santakicker
Alright... im thinking pretty heavily (as i always do because i am ****ing metal)

lmao
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
btw your other hand couldnt possibly be in my girlfriend becuase she is in my bathroom washing her mouth out

hahahaha. SCORE!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."