just a quick question. When I play it's usually by myself and I just pick a key and go. Usually I don't stray too far from the key, maybe picking a few notes here or there to throw in when I'm doing ascending or descending lines or to accentuate a riff but other than that I stay in the key I'm playing in. How I play is just not really playing any song just whatever ya know, I kind of just play all over the fretboard without really concentrating on what I'm doing just trying to make it flow. I'm just curious if this is the normal way people play or if most guitarists play more structured, I don't really know chord theory but I can play hundreds of chords all over the place in any given key depending on what I want to hear I just don't have any idea what any thing is called. I'm just wondering if I will be able to play with people using this method of practice or if I will actually have to learn structure better. Sometimes I'll get a backing track and play along just fine with it, but I'm not sure if this works in real life situations with other people.
it should work fine with people, as long as you have decent phrasing, stay on tempo, and actually stay on key.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I can do all 3 of those just fine. I'm pretty inexperienced with key modulation though and I don't know if people do that very often without talking in jams. I never really notice it, but then again I'm not a professional musician. Like when John Frusciante and Flea are playing for extended jams do they ever switch keys without saying anything or planning it?
I tend to play with chordal structure too. Playing a chords on the strong beats (usually 1 and 3) and then improving in key. I'll also go to the harmonic minor and do the same thing as well, changing the chords to minor, etc. It's good practice and depending on the tempo you're using, it takes some skill to switch your mind between rhythm and lead. Especially if you use "advanced" chords like 7ths, 9ths, sus, etc. Good luck!
yeah it took a hell of a lot of playing to actually be able to play both rythm and lead without losing the song, without ****ing up the tempo or just plain sounding horrible. I don't know that those chord names mean, but I probably use some of them. It's pretty fun inventing your own chords on the fly too. That's one thing I learned from Frusciante, how he integrates melodies and rythm together so well that they aren't really separate things once you practice enough. I could never bring myself to be just a lead or just a rythm player, that would suck.