Anyone connect their mp3/cd players to their amps? If so what does it sound like? And to be more specific what does it sound like through a Roland Cube?

And what will I need to connect my mp3 player to my amp?
yeah i do that all the time. it doesn't sound like a bumpin' stereo system but it gets the job done quite nicely. if the amp has rca (red and white) inputs, just get an rca cable with a 1/8" jack on the end to plug into the headphone part of your mp3 player.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yea ive done it for jks one time. it sounds just like how youd think.
if you turn up gain it sounds ****ty.
if you turn up bass it sounds bassy.
if your amp has effects, like chorus, itll sound chorusy.
i would recommend you just get some speakers or something, but it works.
you will need either a cable thats one side auxiliary one side stereo jack, or an auxiliary cable with a auxiliary->stereo connector.
Probably just a regular RCA jack that can plug into you MP3 player, it would sound normal, just louder. Make sure to buy a stereo jack though, unless you want one side to be removed.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
trust me, it wont sound uber-****in-cool if you hook it up to your amp... some nice speakers are much better. however, i hooked mine up an even easier way than normal once, which was by placing the headphones over the pickups on my guitar... that was awesome (didnt sound amazing, but it was awesome anyway).
I use my MP3 player through my microcube. I use a 1/8 cable with both male ends. One end into the mp3 players head phone plug, and the other into the 1/8' inch input on the back of the cube.

SOunds good!!!

EDIT: I forgot that when it has an 1/8" and a 1/4" inputs on the back
Last edited by stangconv at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by Guitar_Poet
hooked mine up an even easier way than normal once, which was by placing the headphones over the pickups on my guitar... that was awesome (didnt sound amazing, but it was awesome anyway).

dude thats just genius, i would have never thought of that. the magnets in the headphones are being picked up by the pickups. thats so pro of you dude.
Quote by Zida
yea ive done it for jks one time. it sounds just like how youd think.
if you turn up gain it sounds ****ty.
if you turn up bass it sounds bassy.
if your amp has effects, like chorus, itll sound chorusy.
i would recommend you just get some speakers or something, but it works.
you will need either a cable thats one side auxiliary one side stereo jack, or an auxiliary cable with a auxiliary->stereo connector.

Mine doesnt do that no matter what you have it on... It just sonuds normal... only the guitar does the effects
Quote by stangconv
Mine doesnt do that no matter what you have it on... It just sonuds normal... only the guitar does the effects

thats not true, the effects still affect it, whether the signal if from a guitar or not.

it'll sound ok, but not very good.

the bass is usually quite lacking, and so is the clarity.
Quote by josephhkim
thats not true, the effects still affect it, whether the signal if from a guitar or not.

Depends on the amp. My Vox has an input specifically for MP3/CD on the back and it sounds great.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by josephhkim

I have the cube... I could be totally wrong, but I thought hooking up my MP3 player on the back to the line in, didnt go through the effects. I KNOW it doesnt use the volume of the AMP cause when I wanted the music louder I had to turn the MP3 player. I remembered being confused for a minute or 2....

I will try again tommorrow
Quote by scott58
Depends on the amp. My Vox has an input specifically for MP3/CD on the back and it sounds great.

I use a Microcube but same thing... has a line in for CD player/MP3 to come in. Its even 1/8" I am almost 100% that it just plays the songnormal and if you crank the reverb, it only affects your guitar
if for some reason u dont have a cable connecting it to the amp.. u can always put ur mp3 earphones on ur guitar pickups, set ur amp on clean channel with no gain. that'd work too but it sounds kinda crappy
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
it would. if u EQ it properly it'd be fine at least it would be acceptable
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
I have a question. If you have a stack amp, can you just plug an ipod right into the cab? Does impedance matter at all? I don't wanna blow my ipod or something stupid like that.
^An Ipod probaly dosn't have the output for that kinda thing.

My dorm stereo is something like my guitar rig.

Laptop -> 1/4" adapter -> 1/4" guitar cable -> valve junior -> 2x12" cab. That sucker's loud.