Quick question... trying to master all known scales and chords... yeah i know...
any good books out there that cover it all? im not talking about the skinny books that tell you how to figure it out yourself im talking about the bigassed books.
Also, do they make flash cards for this kind of thing like with the chord name on the front and box-gram on back?
Quote by captainjackass
Theres way to many scales, and a HUGE amount of chords. Trust me, just stick to you majors, Minors, Diminshed, Augmented, and maybe +7s, and figure out the rest...

agreed.

on another note, flash cards are one of the worst ways to learn things, so just start with the basics and improve from there. im sure you could run out and buy a could of those "complete scales" and "complete chords" books and be happy for a while, but if you just go out there randomly, how much of it are you really going to remember and understand how to apply?
bleh... dont you ever feel like all this guitar stuff is just too much? i want to skip the practice and just be badass. i feel like im just going nowhere with it and im looking for something to do to improve. been playing 10 years and i love it but i hate that i dont know some stuff. ****... and **** books too.
Sigh... It was only after I opened the topic did I realise it said "Books" and not "Boobs"
Quote by clapton-floyd
I don't believe in free will, I believe in Rohypnol.
Quote by The Undead
"Boobs"

LOL sorry... but why would you think there are boobs here? thats like that little packet that comes with electronics that says "do not eat." now why would you buy a VCR thinking that it comes with a snack? just like why would you scour the forums of ultimate-guitar looking for boobs? wouldnt you find that your quest for cleavage is more likely to bear fruit by looking for tits on say... www.boobs.com? food for thought.

LOL!
Ah yes... but not they dont come with guitars. Guitars and boobs... what could be better. Well other than guitars boobs AND pancakes
Quote by clapton-floyd
Haha, not gonna happen. There are hundreds, probably thousands of chords and scales that work in situations, and another infinity that don't work.

I'm guessing that of all those scales, you'll only really need minor pentatonic, major pentatonic, natural minor, and harmonic minor. So work on those. For chords, aside from embellishments, you'll usually only need majors, minors, sevenths, and ninths in an everyday situation.

I can't give you a suggestion for a book, mainly because what I know comes from lessons/friends/interwebz.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Haha, not gonna happen. There are hundreds, probably thousands of chords and scales that work in situations, and another infinity that don't work.

I'm guessing that of all those scales, you'll only really need minor pentatonic, major pentatonic, natural minor, and harmonic minor. So work on those. For chords, aside from embellishments, you'll usually only need majors, minors, sevenths, and ninths in an everyday situation.

I can't give you a suggestion for a book, mainly because what I know comes from lessons/friends/interwebz.

sooooooo off-topic. We're talking about boobs and pancakes... well... at least I am
Quote by clapton-floyd
yeah i think ive given up on the whole books idea and guitar in general as a much more enticing subject has been brought to my attention... boobs (and pancakes just to make it sweeter). can i change the thread subject to Guitar Boobs?

but yes im realizing the complete stupidity of that goal i had set now... but at least now i know what i need to know on the daily. Thanks sonicxlover!
get "the complete idiot's guide to music theory." it will show you how to figure out the name of a chord or scale without having to memorize a chart.
i keep getting people telling me that is a good book to get... but the complete idiot thing throws me off... are people implying something there? well **** you and thanks for the suggestion ill look into it... seriously.