I'm really confused about which tube amp to get for bedroom practices and the occasional jam. Well, it's going to be used mostly for bedroom practices, and since I'm going to head off to college this fall 15w tube amps are out of the question unless I want to get evicted. If I didn't live in an apartment being college-bound, I'd easily get a blues junior since I love the tone, but the situation is different than I'd want.

It's either the
Peavey Royal 8 or the Epiphone Valve Junior Combo.

The reason for the Royal 8 is the headphone jack, for the vj combo is for the price.
I'm running my current crap ss amp with a phaser and a ns-2. But if I do get a tube amp, I'll get a dd-3 and a bad monkey along with it.

I'm also thinking of getting a ds-1, a eq and a wah somewhere along x'mas time and because of that, some might guess my fixation with pedals.

I just want arguments on which amp should I get, the royal 8 or the vj combo.
The royal 8.
More features, a bit higher quality, and it's peavey!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i only see a gain and tone controls for the crate v5. would i be able to crank it like a royal 8 since it has a master volume..

and on the tech specs, the crate v5 lists a Gain, tone and master volume controls
and Line out/insert loop. I can't see the insert loop and the master controls on the pictures though.
Quote by darkarbiter7
The royal 8.
More features, a bit higher quality, and it's peavey!

dont judge a product on its brand, at least for guitar amps. see wat happened with the Marshall MG?
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Can't go wrong with a Blues Junior, don't let the name fool you, it's good for alot of genres.
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
it's going to be too loud for his use tho.

the smaller crate is good. has gain too.

ive got an epi jr head and 1x12 cab. i love that little amp.
still gets killer loud. (can be heard over subtle drumming)
but with a pedal, can be a really nice bedroom amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think a Tiny Terror and a 1x12 would be really nice. I vote a TT or a Royal 8.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I'd go for the Royal 8 out of the ones mentioned so far. The crates are impossible to get hold of in the UK so i've never tried one, but at this price they'll all be pretty similar amps anyway.

If you're going for the Epi VJ there's a german website (thomann.de) which sells a basically identical version called the 'Harley Benton GA5' -with an added tone control- for £60/$120. I think shipping to the US works out about $25 so it could still be the cheapest option!
Quote by musicfreak003
dont judge a product on its brand, at least for guitar amps. see wat happened with the Marshall MG?

what i meant by that, is usually it'd be pretty durable. The peavey's that i've owned have been solidly built and durable. The royal 8 i tried out was no exception.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I vote the Royal 8.
I own it, and I tried it compared it to the Valve Jr, and found the Royal 8 gives a bit better quality. and it has more features, it's great having a master volume control on it.
Ehhh 15w wouldn't be that loud. Turning down isn't an impossibility...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
it is tho. if i want it to OD, it's loud. i mean i dont care, ive got a house, but the guy lives in an apartment.
so to od it, he'll need a pedal. and then probably wont get past 2-3 very often.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I use my VJ turned down, with a pedal. It gets better tone than modellers and I'm perfectly happy with the way it works.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah so do i. i just think 15W for bedroom is overkill.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^I do the same thing. I modded mine to get louder, brighter, and gainier at lower volume settings even. It's lound as hell through my 2x12" (considering the 5 wattts) but it's still usable and pleanty tonefull in a dorm. I'd go for the VJ head and a small cab (not the matching epi one!).

See, the thing I've noticed about dorms...unless you're going to harvard or somewhere really stately, and unless you're staying in a off-campus apartment, the whole "quiet hours" thing is kinda a misnomer. When you cram 700 sexually driven, guitar playing, music listening, shower taking, starcraft playing, pot smoking, Family Guy watching, table smashing, soda chugging, door slamming, glass breaking, thrashy young adults into one realativly small low-rise building...hell, man, it's just another brick in the wall. No one's gonna have **** to say about your little VJ, because they can't hear it over the Fergie playing from their god damn stereo.

Ah, damit, I ranted.
^ that was an awsome rant

i would suggest a tiny terror, unless your going to lug it around cause itl be a hassle to move that cab around.but if your not fond of that, than i would say maybe a blues junior, or the palomino V8
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by jj1565

really? i play my BJ with Volume at 10-12 and MV at like 2ish... sometimes i like to turn it up to like MV 8. but that's the most. using an attenuator. in gigs it's all at 12 with my attenuator so i don't drown out my drummer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Here's my college dorm experience so far: I go to a private Christian school. I live in my dorm room with a 50 watt tube amp that i play daily and periodically play pretty darn loud when the mood strikes (and it's not late at night). I haven't gotten kicked out, and i've gotten more compliments than complaints. Still, it's nice to have a smaller amp. I'd say a 15 watt amp isn't to loud unless you're school is SUPER strict or unless you plan to play late at night. So i would go for the blues junior if you like it that much more. Just my take based on my experiences here at school, though.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by jj1565

I use 50w in my bedroom =D.
^maybe u dont get kicked out because ur good???

if it was me, they would kick me out hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by the.spine.surfs
No one's gonna have **** to say about your little VJ, because they can't hear it over the Fergie playing from their god damn stereo.

Ah, damit, I ranted.

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

To the TS, I'd go for the VJ pretty much for it's flexibility (mods, cabs, etc.).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by ECistheBest
^maybe u dont get kicked out because ur good???

if it was me, they would kick me out hahaha.

I'd like to think that was the case, but most people will worship just about anyone who can pick up a guitar and play a few licks.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^haha yea. thats with the dorms in my school. cuz all the guys either don't play guitar, or they're noobs.

so if u can belt out a performance of simple "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" or sumtin, ur god. hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
really? i play my BJ with Volume at 10-12 and MV at like 2ish... sometimes i like to turn it up to like MV 8. but that's the most. using an attenuator. in gigs it's all at 12 with my attenuator so i don't drown out my drummer.

well the attenuator changes things 100%

i think a weber would make a huge diff.
some guys feel like it's not necessary for a 15W-er.
but you know, whatever you need to play the damn thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well the attenuator changes things 100%

i think a weber would make a huge diff.
some guys feel like it's not necessary for a 15W-er.
but you know, whatever you need to play the damn thing.

o yea. but usually it's in bypass. it doesn't sound THAT good when the thing's turned down to like... 3.

but at a gig, i can turn the attenuator to like... 6-7 so it sounds better. way better.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
which one u use?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Also, as a side note with the whole 50 watt tube amp in the dorm room thing. I don't know about everybody, but I know that when I'm sitting there practicing or messing around, I'm usually pretty self-conscious. So I don't want to be playing so loud the entire building can hear me, not because I'm afraid to get kicked out, but because I'm really conscious of all my mistakes and such.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I'm considering these: Crate Palomino V8, Fender Champ 600, and Epi Valve Junior. I'd consider a Peavey Royal 8 too, if I could find one to try.
thanks for the replies guys!
I'm also conscious of my playing too since I'm no guitar guru, I'm still learning and heck I can't even crank my 15w ss amp past midway without my mom telling me to quiet down (she's a teacher). I really need a headphone jack.
I didn't like the Champ 600 though, I can't place my finger on it, but it just didn't seem right.
I also can't justify getting a blues junior since I feel like I don't deserve it yet. LOL! Even though I love, I'll just have to earn the right to play it. LOL AGAIN.

Anyone got anything to say about the VJ COMBO?
Quote by jj1565
which one u use?

um... the 25w minimass. with my BJ with Weber 12F150 speaker and TungSol 12AX7s, and JJ/Tesla EL84s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
vj combo is lame, imo. the speaker is too small to do any good.
i guess lining out to a 4 ohm cab, if that's an option.

and ^^ cool beans. i'm trying to find something to get for xmas. i might give weber a call.

i have his blue speaker in my Bjr now. love that company.
i was thinking of the minimass, but i might go bigger cause im thinking of adding a larger amp soon.
so i might want to go for a bigger unit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
vj combo is lame, imo. the speaker is too small to do any good.
i guess lining out to a 4 ohm cab, if that's an option.

and ^^ cool beans. i'm trying to find something to get for xmas. i might give weber a call.

i have his blue speaker in my Bjr now. love that company.
i was thinking of the minimass, but i might go bigger cause im thinking of adding a larger amp soon.
so i might want to go for a bigger unit.

i want a blackface as of now... my grandpa has one in japan.

weber is good because Ted answers every E-mail hahaha. when he's there under 5 mins to reply lol. im watching a tweed weber 1x12" cab with a weber alnico on ebay for $15... but i cant use it with my BJ...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm also interested in that. I'm getting a small tube amp (I don't care combo or half-stack as long as it's good and portable) for bedroom playing and ocasional small live situations (then it'd be mic'ed up). I don't know what'd be good for funk rock and blues (mainly RHCP, John Frusciante, Hendrix, SRV...), and that costs less than 250 € (the same price in dollars, 'cause here in Spain guitar gear is a bit more expensive).
I've considered the Fender Champion 600 since I'll mainly use a clean/slightly dirty sound, and sometimes an OD pedal. What'd you recommend me?
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
^If you need a 5 watter, the Champion would be good.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86