Page 1 of 2
Anyone else get irritated by guitarists that talk about how they can play [insert metal song here] but consider Am as 5-7-7? Maybe I'm just grumpy but it really gets to me sometimes because they obviously have speed but haven't been taught correctly. I guess that's what this forum is for though
It doesn't bother me, but I'm not like that. My teacher started me off both reading sheet music and tabs from the first lesson. I was lucky that I had four years of music experience before that though.
yeah, it's very crippling, and unless you're with another guitar, you can't apply it to other instruments. it's a detriment. that's why it's all but essential to learn sheet music to truly be a musician.

That, and if i'm reading it right, the 5-7-7 thing is an A5. you need 5-7-7-6 to make a minor.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
ok if Em is 0-2-2 then Am has to be 5-7-7

of course i'm upside down from a normal tab

-5-
-5-
-5-
-7-
-7-
-5-

where A major would be

-5-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-5-
Last edited by Krusader187 at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by cashewchaching
yeah, it's very crippling, and unless you're with another guitar, you can't apply it to other instruments. it's a detriment. that's why it's all but essential to learn sheet music to truly be a musician.

That, and if i'm reading it right, the 5-7-7 thing is an A5. you need 5-7-7-6 to make a minor.

5-7-7-6 is a major I think you meant to say 5-7-7-5
yeah i understand what you're saying i was just shortening my tablature.

I honeslty think tabs are a great thing for players that know the basics and it's great to get people started. HOWEVER, learning soley on tabs alone is not something anyone should suggest (imo). It really limits who you can play with if nothing else.
Quote by Krusader187
Anyone else get irritated by guitarists that talk about how they can play [insert metal song here] but consider Am as 5-7-7? Maybe I'm just grumpy but it really gets to me sometimes because they obviously have speed but haven't been taught correctly. I guess that's what this forum is for though

ive never come accross that but i know so many people that can only play something if its tabed out. they can only play solos note for note, cant change keys, cant improvise in general etc... its a shame to see that imo. i cant see the point in playing an instrument if you cant improvise or make your own stuff. sure its fun to play other stuff but how can you truely express yourself playing something note for note?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
ive never come accross that but i know so many people that can only play something if its tabed out. they can only play solos note for note, cant change keys, cant improvise in general etc... its a shame to see that imo. i cant see the point in playing an instrument if you cant improvise or make your own stuff. sure its fun to play other stuff but how can you truely express yourself playing something note for note?

I whole heartedly agree with everything you just said. note for note.
Quote by Krusader187
I whole heartedly agree with everything you just said. note for note.

haha
Haha I've played with many a guitarist who only knows tabs.. So frustrating

"Okay so we'll play somthing basic..A C and G, we'll take it from there." "Wh..what..?"
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
lmao ye, well the 5-7-7 isn't a minor or major chord as it has no 3rd to define that though some call it minor, it's an A5 though a million ppl just said the same thing above me

Anyway, ye that is pretty irritating but I was kinda like that before I started theory lessons :P
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I don't think that it's fair to disregard tabulature as being inferior to sheet music. Like sheet music, it is just another method of transcribing music on to paper. Full blown tabulature can have all the information found in sheet music with the added benefit of a diagramatical view of the instrument. Tab has its own standards just like sheet music, and you'll find that when you buy tab books it is always accompanied by the sheet music. I do agree that ascii tabs are a poor way to lean music, but maybe you don't want to learn music. SRV couldn't read music - a legend blues guitarist, Prince and any artist associated with his music had to learn his songs from tape by ear. So the need to learn sheet music is not priorty with some people. And don't get me wrong I know sheet music and I can sight read guitar but that just isn't for everyone.

What a ranter I am lol
The point is that you don't get very far just from memorizing songs. I know, I spent years and years just learning songs from tabs, but never really understanding what was going on. It wasn't until I started writing my own music, at which point I also started to familiarize myself with music theory, that I started progressing as a musician.
Quote by kyrreca
The point is that you don't get very far just from memorizing songs. I know, I spent years and years just learning songs from tabs, but never really understanding what was going on. It wasn't until I started writing my own music, at which point I also started to familiarize myself with music theory, that I started progressing as a musician.

Agreed, but that has to do with branching out and messing around on the instrument.

But I suppose you mean an understanding of theory helps you play that sound you have in your head and so on....

I guess I totally agree with you... sort of... lol
Quote by ray555
I don't think that it's fair to disregard tabulature as being inferior to sheet music. Like sheet music, it is just another method of transcribing music on to paper. Full blown tabulature can have all the information found in sheet music with the added benefit of a diagramatical view of the instrument. Tab has its own standards just like sheet music, and you'll find that when you buy tab books it is always accompanied by the sheet music. I do agree that ascii tabs are a poor way to lean music, but maybe you don't want to learn music. SRV couldn't read music - a legend blues guitarist, Prince and any artist associated with his music had to learn his songs from tape by ear. So the need to learn sheet music is not priorty with some people. And don't get me wrong I know sheet music and I can sight read guitar but that just isn't for everyone.

What a ranter I am lol

SRV was incredible and I love his playing, but his style did definitely not have much variety in it.
Yeah i totally know what you mean there, TS. Like I jam with this guy who can sure play all the hendrix and everything, but I'll say something like 'OK so lets just play 12 bar blues in E to get us going' and he'll be like '...what did you just call me... :s'
Pretty frustrating.
Although I'm not saying tab is useless, but i think it has its place.
Full blown tabulature can have all the information found in sheet music

I don't remember seeing any Tabs with Rhythms written on it..
Quote by J.A.M

Guitar One's tabs did, but they merged with Guitar World. They, unfortunately, don't.
yeah, it's very crippling, and unless you're with another guitar, you can't apply it to other instruments. it's a detriment. that's why it's all but essential to learn sheet music to truly be a musician

did you really actually mean to say that? thats so poor by you right there. if you know basic theory and technique, there is not really any point in reading music. when it comes time for a solo, do you expect the person to read the sheet music? dude, you improvise, thats the point. and to call say that you can't be a true musician if you can't read sheet music? there are so many names i could mention, but i will just say one: David Gilmour. sure, he can read now, but he only started to a few years ago. wtf?
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Quote by J.A.M

guitar pro 5?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
would you say learning sheet music is essential to learning music theory?
im not much of a guitarist or musician, but sometime in the future i wanna be able to make my own music. i started out guitar by trying to learn sheet music (from a 'learn guitar' book, but i could never really get a grip of it.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by pringa
would you say learning sheet music is essential to learning music theory?
im not much of a guitarist or musician, but sometime in the future i wanna be able to make my own music. i started out guitar by trying to learn sheet music (from a 'learn guitar' book, but i could never really get a grip of it.

I would say being able to read music is essential to learning any basic theory. After all, scales are based on notes, not fret numbers.
Quote by Spamwise
I would say being able to read music is essential to learning any basic theory. After all, scales are based on notes, not fret numbers.

i disagree. i think you should know the notes but as far as reading music, its not essential. what does reading music have to do with anything? as long as you understand the theory, thats all that matters. reading has nothing to do with it. go tell that to people like stevie wonder who cant read at all.
Quote by Spamwise

Not true at all, especially for jazz theory. I can't sight read music and im slow at reading generally it's something i've been meaning to practice but I know plenty of theory and how to apply it. You can learn scales without having them written down...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

I think it's somewhat implied that if you know all the notes you can read music. Maybe not, but that's my opinion.
Quote by cashewchaching

Uh, yeah, what he's saying is that people who think of 5-7-7 as being Am are annoying. And you just notated a major chord (since we're talking about a root of A, not D).

Quote by J.A.M

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/stone_temple_pilots/creep_ver3_tab.htm

Quote by Spamwise
Guitar One's tabs did, but they merged with Guitar World. They, unfortunately, don't.

Yes they do.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 1, 2007,
Do they? I guess I need to look at them again then. They haven't printed any tabs worth looking at lately, so..
Quote by Spamwise
I think it's somewhat implied that if you know all the notes you can read music. Maybe not, but that's my opinion.

That's not true either, it may be because I taught myself as opposed to having a teacher but I only learnt how to start to read music 6 months ago, but i'd known all of the notes, chord formation, progressions, cadences and a whole host of stuff well before that.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

I can read standard, but generally much prefer a properly notated tab (or better
yet both over/under) for guitar.

Reading standard isn't all that necessary for theory, nor is even knowing the
note names on the fretboard. Theory is generally given in scale degrees,
roman numerals and relative notations like that. There aren't any specific frets
that correspond to those. It's MUCH more important being able to see those
relationships in the scale patterns. Note names are absolutes, but just about all
music theory is relative.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
if you cant read sheet music it is. with tabs its pretty straight forward. it is easier. it was designed to be easier.

Well it goes without saying that if you can't read sheet music understanding it wouldn't be easy. Just like when you're a toddler it's tough to write the alphabet at first, but once you learn it it's a piece of cake. Same with music it's not very hard to learn to read music, and so there really aren't any excuses for not learning it.
I can read sheet music and I think its important.

What if I wanted to take up sax..No sax tabs..What if I wanted to do session work or fill in for a bassist at a gig. They could just give me the sheet music and I play it (yeah I would need to work on my sight reading a fair bit first tho but still..)

People say stuff like 'Oi x awesome x-player couldnt read sheet music.' Fair enough but there are also A LOT of people who CAN read sheet music. Like J.S Bach.
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Page 1 of 2