Page 1 of 2
halloween has nothing to do with christianity
i hope we can all agree on that, because simply put; its a fact
in fact its a watered down pagan holiday
i hope we can all agree on that because, simply put; its a fact

so does that make christians who celebrate it hypocrites?
seeing as how christianity is 'supposed' to be void of other religions beliefs entirely?

just a thought...

EDIT: this is not a religion thread, before anyone gets off on that
its simply an observation and my asking you of your opinions
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Most churches don't call it "Halloween" anymore, either.

They call it "Fall Festival", or something to do with pumpkins.

And most Christian families celebrate it for their kids, or for an excuse to throw costume parties, the only time a year where costume parties are acceptable.

That's just me, thogh.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Serious LOLness at the ignorance of this thread.

Halloween is All Hallow's Eve, a Catholic holidy.
Death to Ovation haters!
Samhain (Sow-win)FTW!
pagan holidays have been usurped by christianity ever since the dark ages.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
nobody celebrates halloween because it is wicked. it's just an excuse for women to dress as sluts. halloween is A-OK.
Actually i had an english teacher last year and he was a huge christian and refused to celebrate Halloween and give out candy.

He lectured the whole class why but i got lost in the details.
I'm Tyler
Yeah its Part Pagan, Part Catholic, Part something else

Just a bunch of holidays put together to form this
I'm pretty sure no one knows the origin of holidays in Christendom, save Easter, the only Christian holiday worth having. Halloween is pagan you say? Well Christmas was created to boost winter church attendance so there.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Samhain (Sow-win)FTW!
pagan holidays have been usurped by christianity ever since the dark ages.

The Dark Ages? Try the Roman Empire.
Death to Ovation haters!
teh epic lulz at yur epic phailurez
(well done?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

The Festival of Halloween is a celebration of the end of the fertile period of the Celtic Goddess Eiseria. It is said that when Eiseria reaches the end of her fertile cycle, the worlds of the dead and the living interlap
Quote by WickedBeast666
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

It isn't intended to celebrate Paganism anymore. Hell, plenty of Christmas is based around some Pagan holiday. It's the intent of the celebration not the origin. So, to answer your question, not it's no hypocritical.
Quote by PatchworkMan
Serious LOLness at the ignorance of this thread.

Halloween is All Hallow's Eve, a Catholic holidy.

thats were we get the name, but it was a pagan tradition to dress up and scare away the "evil" spirits from "the otehr side"
thats we have costumes! (or the scary ones at least :P)
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
teh epic lulz at yur epic phailurez
(well done?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

The Festival of Halloween is a celebration of the end of the fertile period of the Celtic Goddess Eiseria. It is said that when Eiseria reaches the end of her fertile cycle, the worlds of the dead and the living interlap
Which was stolen and called All Hallow's Eve. You're both right.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Halloween originated when Catholics in the past would gather the night before All Saint's Day (Nov. 1) for a prayer vigil.

Way to go.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a combination of the two. Kind of like when the Church chose to celebrate Christmas around the same time as a popular Roman holiday (can't remember which)
Though christmas was also scheduled when it so that people could get wasted and not have to go out to work in the fields the next day, because it was winter.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Last edited by Metal0Maniac at Oct 30, 2007,
Its actually reformation day. To celebrate when Martin Luther nailed the 95 theses to the church door.

Obviously
read job
Quote by Cowslayer
Yeah its Part Pagan, Part Catholic, Part something else

Just a bunch of holidays put together to form this

Part Pagan, Part Catholic, Part Awesome!!!
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
It's a secular holiday with pagan origins that are all but irrelevant. Christians can celebrate it without challenging their faith.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Well also Christmas is a Pagan holiday and every christains believe the lie about jesus being born then.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by NGD1313
It isn't intended to celebrate Paganism anymore. Hell, plenty of Christmas is based around some Pagan holiday. It's the intent of the celebration not the origin. So, to answer your question, no it's no hypocritical.

Yeah, the winter solstice. They were like "we get no people to come in this time!" so someone else was like "Let's have a... Christ Mass."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by PatchworkMan

to me, the dark ages begin a couple decades before the fall of the western roman empire, so you're proabbly right
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by SteveHouse
I'm pretty sure no one knows the origin of holidays in Christendom, save Easter, the only Christian holiday worth having. Halloween is pagan you say? Well Christmas was created to boost winter church attendance so there.

christmas is another pagan holiday turned christain by catholics
search Saturnalia
Quote by WickedBeast666

I am raised as a Catholic, and I never really encountered Christians not celebrating Halloween. Where I come from, everyone is pretty open-minded about it. I don't get why some people can get close-minded about it. It's all just a bit of fun. You're only harming yourself if you close yourself off to what other people feel. I don't really see the harm. It's not like this day is going to harm your beliefs, is it?

So yeah, I hear it being called the Fall Festival sometimes, but like the TS said, it's pumpkins

EDIT: I forgot, there's All Souls Day, too.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Oct 30, 2007,
Quote by PatchworkMan

But, if you say that, you have to say what era of the Roman Empire.

The older times were "Pagan" (there was no Christianity to make it Pagan at the time), but the later ages had the rise of the Byzantine Empire, Christianity, and Catholocism.

Not trying to argue, I just thought it was worth mentioning that it wasn't THAT long ago, but it was still a while ago.

Quote by fosho
search Saturnalia

No, they just use the day. December 25th was the day adopted as the day to celebrate the birth of Christ. Christ + mas (birth) = Christmas.

But December 25th is also the supposed birthdate and day of celebration in other religions and such as well. So, yes, it's another "taken holiday", but it's only "half taken", imo.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Oct 30, 2007,
FOR THE RECORD!

im not saying to change what you believe or anything, simply stating facts and hoping for serious answers (in the pit? what?!)
Quote by WickedBeast666

Quote by SteveHouse

Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about. But I admire your brass.

If you'd read a few books, you'd discover that the origin of Christian holidays are very well documented. All Hallow's Eve, for instance, is the night before All Saints Day, the day of the liturgical calendar when Christians celebrate those who have died in the previous year.

It is a Catholic holidy, though it has absorbed many pre-Christian pagan harvest traditions.
Death to Ovation haters!
halloween is boring. i just end up beating little kids up, stealing their candy and eating them. i mean stealing their candy and giving some of it back.
Quote by fosho
search Saturnalia

says ONE THEORY. There are actually several...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by fallenangel20
But, if you say that, you have to say what era of the Roman Empire.

The older times were "Pagan" (there was no Christianity to make it Pagan at the time), but the later ages had the rise of the Byzantine Empire, Christianity, and Catholocism.

Not trying to argue, I just thought it was worth mentioning that it wasn't THAT long ago, but it was still a while ago.

No, they just use the day. December 25th was the day adopted as the day to celebrate the birth of Christ. Christ + mas (birth) = Christmas.

But December 25th is also the supposed birthdate and day of celebration in other religions and such as well. So, yes, it's another "taken holiday", but it's only "half taken", imo.

oh damn
not this argument....

Christian = use the bible
Bible says Jesus was born when the shepards had their flocks out
this only happens in the summer
therefore Jesus was born in the summer

christmas is in the winter
Quote by WickedBeast666

Quote by fosho
oh damn
not this argument....

I wasn't trying to argue. I was just saying it's the day used to celebrate his birth, and it just eventually became the "standard" for the day he was born.

I wasn't saying I believe he was born on that day, I was just saying it was only "half taken" from other holidays.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fosho
oh damn
not this argument....

The fun part is, Christmas is now Halloween on crack.

You go door to door and adults give you candy.

You go house to house and exchange presents.

Materialism makes me sad.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by fallenangel20
I wasn't trying to argue. I was just saying it's the day used to celebrate his birth, and it just eventually became the "standard" for the day he was born.

I wasn't saying I believe he was born on that day, I was just saying it was only "half taken" from other holidays.

oh ok
sorry bout that
Quote by WickedBeast666

Quote by fosho
oh ok
sorry bout that

No problems. No offense taken.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fosho
oh damn
not this argument....

Please end your intellectual superiority act. It's neither convincing nor entertaining.

The Christian liturgical year is designed to represent the life of Christ and the early church in a year, not to accurately depict historical dates. Easter (the most important holiday) is placed in Spring at the symbolic time of rebirth. Lent and Christmas are at a point in the year to allow a symbolic progession through the life of Christ up to Easter and beyond.

I don't know what time of year Jesus was born, and neither do you. But it doesn't really matter.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by fosho
halloween has nothing to do with christianity
i hope we can all agree on that, because simply put; its a fact
in fact its a watered down pagan holiday
i hope we can all agree on that because, simply put; its a fact

so does that make christians who celebrate it hypocrites?
seeing as how christianity is 'supposed' to be void of other religions beliefs entirely?

so because muslims believe in an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god, we can't believe that? what i italicized is blatantly false. some things pagans believe are true. some things muslims believe are true. some things hindus believe are true. the christian view (or at least catholic view is, i can't speak for others) is that we're the ones who have the 100% correct test while others have 70%, maybe 90%, 40%, etc. they got a lot of questions right but they get a lot wrong. get the concept? good.

it's not even a religious celebration. the day afterwards, all saints day, is a religious event. and the next day, all souls day, is too. there is no christian significance of halloween other than the name (hallow - saint)

wiki has this to say:

Celtic Christians may have Samhain services that focus on the cultural aspects of the holiday, in the belief that many ancient Celtic customs are "compatible with the new Christian religion. Christianity embraced the Celtic notions of family, community, the bond among all people, and respect for the dead. Throughout the centuries, pagan and Christian beliefs intertwine in a gallimaufry (hodgepodge) of celebrations from October 31 through November 5, all of which appear both to challenge the ascendancy of the dark and to revel in its mystery."
#DTWD
Quote by PatchworkMan
Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about. But I admire your brass.

If you'd read a few books, you'd discover that the origin of Christian holidays are very well documented. All Hallow's Eve, for instance, is the night before All Saints Day, the day of the liturgical calendar when Christians celebrate those who have died in the previous year.

It is a Catholic holidy, though it has absorbed many pre-Christian pagan harvest traditions.

Either I dreamed that or something very wrong happened in the editing stages of my AP European history book. It had it in like the late Middle Ages. If it's documented back to Pope Julius I, then that's clearly bollocks. Curse contradictory evidence...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
The fun part is, Christmas is now Halloween on crack.

You go door to door and adults give you candy.

You go house to house and exchange presents.

Materialism makes me sad.

You know what the best part of that is? The gift-giving is a pagan tradition.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Please end your intellectual superiority act. It's neither convincing nor entertaining.

(1)The Christian liturgical year is designed to represent the life of Christ and the early church in a year, not to accurately depict historical dates. (2)Easter (the most important holiday) is placed in Spring at the symbolic time of rebirth. Lent and Christmas are at a point in the year to allow a symbolic progession through the life of Christ up to Easter and beyond.

(3)I don't know what time of year Jesus was born, and neither do you. But it doesn't really matter.

all right bro, heres what we'll do
i'll take your points one at a time, cool?

1) prove it
2) show me where in the bible, seeing as how its the only document that would hold any water in this case, it says to celebrate christs birth, it says to commemorate his death but never his birth
3) if you would bother reading, and doing a little side research youd come to find that all scriptural proof points to christ being born in summer
Quote by WickedBeast666

Quote by PatchworkMan
You know what the best part of that is? The gift-giving is a pagan tradition.

How about that.

"WE MAKE HOLIDAY!"
"WE TAKE YO HOLIDAY BIATCH!"

"But we still do the same stuff you do.... sad face..."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by fosho
all right bro, heres what we'll do
i'll take your points one at a time, cool?

Okay...

1) prove it

Where is your proof? I have just supplied you with a whole lot of information. I'm still waiting on anything of the kind from you. But here's some reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_year

2) show me where in the bible, seeing as how its the only document that would hold any water in this case, it says to celebrate christs birth, it says to commemorate his death but never his birth

What are you talking about? I have no idea what you mean by this. There are Christian holidays commemorating both Christ's birth and Christ's death, not to mention many other events in his life.

But here's a note: Easter is not a commemoration of Christ's death. If you don't know that, you have no business even having this conversation.
3) if you would bother reading, and doing a little side research youd come to find that all scriptural proof points to christ being born in summer

Judging from scripture, it is most likely that Christ was born in the Spring or Summer, yes. But so what?
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Oct 31, 2007,
Page 1 of 2