Is there such thing as a "good" rhythm guitarist? If so, why are they good? what makes a good rhythm guitarist?
There is such thing as a good rythym guitarist i.e James Hetfield, couldnt think of anyone else. They are basically there to keep the lead on track, although hetfield does do some solos they are the backing for the lead,its not nessecary, but alot if bands have them.
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Dimebucker
Fender Strat w/ Texas Specials
DD-3
TS-9
Crybaby from Hell
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
BF-3
HBE Psilocybe
CH-1
Digidelay
Digitech Whammy
Mesa Triple Recto
Marshall 1936 2x12

Yes of course rhythm guitarists can be good. They are good because they keep perfect time in any rhythm, can play very complex riffs and chords, have complete control over dynamics etc.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Whether someones good or bad doesn't depend on what part they play, it depends how well they play it and what they can do with the stuff they have to play
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
I think rythm guitarists are good if they know a wide variety of chords and how to use them under leads and whatnot...and set the mood for a nice lick and whatnot.

Or, perhaps people who have good ears and can play a rythm based on the notes they hear in vocals..

Like this guy I know who plays guitar at his church, he can play rythm for someone singing by ear.
Axe:
Ibanez AWD83T-TRD

Join the Anti-Nihilist Association of Life Seekers (ANALS)
If you are so unfortunate to think that life is meaningless, maybe you should end yours
Willie Adler is an amazing rythm guitarist, he can play/create extremely complex riffs, keep his timing in odd time signatures, plays cleanly, writes good songs etc... all those aspects amount to a good rythm player. Alot of funk guitarists are good at rythm work due to there not being much lead guitar work in funk.
Keith Richards is a fanominal rhythm guitarist in my opinion. he play very good classic American rock 'n roll. It's very pure, but catchy and complex; it's always pleasant to hear.

Jimi Hendrix is also one of my favorite rhythm guitarists, his lead is good, but I prefer to hear his rhythm much more. He uses chord inversions and many "jazzy" or "psychedelic" chords, which give different effects and flavors to the music. Also, the way he blend rhythm and lead in his work with the Experience is my favorite part about his music, similar to Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top.

Bob Weir is my favorite rhythm guitarist; he's from the Grateful Dead. He plays the perfect rhythm for each song and improvise like no other. He does many things that arent really seen in tab/writing, but noticable when he plays. The way he sounds chords and leads gives a lot of dynamics to their music.
For sure there are some great rhythm guitarists who play some very challenging parts. Everything that Enimus Prime wrote is true
Rhythm guitarists don't get enough credit along with bassists and drummers. They are the backbone of the song and not all good lead guitarists can make up good rhythm parts. Too many people go into playing guitar wanting to shred and they try and start that and don't learn the fundamentals which are completely necessary to writing a good song.
good rythem guitar can often be more important than good lead altho when i write the rythem for a song i like to keep it simplish other wise i feel like im listening to noise when i hear the rythem and lead played together
Quote by natedapunk
good rythem guitar can often be more important than good lead

I would say a good rhythm part is always more important than lead
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums