Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I was just wondering if its ok for my tube amp to be layed on its back. I have to lay it down in my trunk so i can take it to different places, and the only way it will fit is if it is on its backside. So any responses are appreciated. Thanks.
just make sure you don't get any crap on the speaker cone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i do that too. just make sure it dont roll around and keep everhting off the speaker cone. it should be fine.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i do the same thing man and its all good. just make sure to lay it on the back and not the front. had a buddy that made that mistake and ended up busting off half of the knobs on the control pannel
^ ouch...isnt that a gimmie???

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
btw, i do that too with my honda civic. it's in my back seat though. and it works. the springs in the reverb rattles a bit but thats not a problem.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ wut kind of civic?

i had a shoddy 89 LX at one time

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ ouch...isnt that a gimmie???

thats what i thought, but he's not the brightest dude. besides, it was a MG100 combo so its not like it was a big loss
^ oh ok. its for teh better then.

the other guitarist from my old band went out and bought one of those after i got my JCM900, and swears it sounds better than mine. oh boy for people with no tone/bad ear for tone.

hes had his in the shop 4 times, in less than a month. haha n00b

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
thats what i told him. he didnt believe me though. he believes as long as it says Marshall on it, its the best tone in town. so i let him have his crappy tone. lol and the worst thing is, he plays with all his knobs at ten. says thats how to get the amps full potentional by turning everything all the way up. its sad, it really is
does he gig?

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
lol i have a '95 civic with 121k miles atm.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ score. it works. thats not that many miles at all

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ECistheBest

Wow...that's actually quite impressive. I've got a 2000 EX coupe with 112K.

Laying down amps is not a problem at all. I would recommend you place something around the amp so it doesn't slide around in the trunk too much. I bring so much gear with me, everything is stuffed in like some kind of cosmic gear tetris game. I usually bring an acoustic, a couple of electrics, my pedalboard (the case in my pedalboard build thread), and my Mesa Roadster. Sometimes I bring the Fender HRD just for fun. With all of this stuff in my car, nothing moves around...and getting up freeway overpasses brings on a lot of "I think I can, I think I can"
Whenever I drive around with my amp, I freak out because the spring reverb rattles around a lot whenever I go over bumps and stuff. Should I worry about this? Or is it just a normal thing?
Quote by ssguitar
does he gig?

thank god no

Quote by gibsonpenguin
Whenever I drive around with my amp, I freak out because the spring reverb rattles around a lot whenever I go over bumps and stuff. Should I worry about this? Or is it just a normal thing?

its normal, as long as you dont hear the sound of glass breaking or the springs pop, your good
I have an old, thick comforter in my car that I used to wrap and lay my stuff on when I need to take them somewhere. Keeps things cushioned, and helps keep them from sliding around on my back seat or trunk.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by TwoString
Wow...that's actually quite impressive. I've got a 2000 EX coupe with 112K.

my dad drove it 40 miles every weekday for 10 years. not civic's in my hands, and i still drive it 40 miles every weekday for roundtrip to school.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest

I have a '95 Civic with 160k miles. Pwnt.

I lay my amp down in my trunk sometimes, too. But i lay it down on its front b/c the knobs are on the top.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by ECistheBest
btw, i do that too with my honda civic. it's in my back seat though. and it works. the springs in the reverb rattles a bit but thats not a problem.

when i first read that, i thought you meant you lay the civic down in ur trunk. i was so confused.............
^ur totally right. i do that with my civic in my other civic's trunk...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hey i have another question, are tubes replaceable if they break? I have a '65 Fender Reverb and was just wondering.
I thought the thread title was some odd term having to do with euthanizing your amp...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by galbracht
Hey i have another question, are tubes replaceable if they break? I have a '65 Fender Reverb and was just wondering.

Not only are they replaceable, but they'll need to be replaced periodically (every year or two, if you play a lot).
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The preamp tubes should last a good number of years. It's the power tubes that may need to be replaced every 1-3 years, depending on your usage. Then again, it's possible for any tube to go out at any time.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have a 95 Civic with about 80k miles...I lay my amp down in the back all the time because it's the only way it'll fit!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Funny/odd story kinda related...

I stuffed a Hartke 4x12 cab in the back seat of my car (Subaru WRX sedan... only place it would fit, and it almost didn't) after purchasing it from a local pawn shop. Driving home, I was stopped at a light, listening to my radio when another car, blaring music stopped next to me at the light. The guy looked over at my car, saw the cab and his eyes got real wide. Then he started yelling at me to turn it up!
Quote by steven seagull
I have a 95 Civic with about 80k miles...I lay my amp down in the back all the time because it's the only way it'll fit!

95 civics ftw!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^powertubes AND preamp tubes cause volume fluctuation. i think powertubes cause loss of tone too. i think thats what my Marshall's suffering right now. either that or the ****ty MG speaker that comes in stock.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have a 1999/2000 Fender HRD with the original power tubes in it. Every time I've tried to replace them, the amp either melts the output transformer or if the tubes actually live, they sound like crap. And yes, I've taken it to a tech to put the power tubes in. He says the resistor and pot that are used to bias the power tubes have some of the wierdest values he's seen. We tried to replace them, but the amp just kept eating transformers. I stood there while he measured, while another tech he knows measured, and I've personally measured the amp at home and the tubes seem to be getting the proper voltages and idle currents. I gigged with this amp for 2 years and I've played it at least 3 times a week on average when I wasn't in a band, all the while at stage or moderate volume levels. I can't argue with the end result, it's a great sounding amp, it just doesn't like new tubes.

And about the cab transport...to the man with the WRX I say wow. I thought I could stuff a lot of crap in my car, but a 4x12 in the back seat of a WRX sounds like two miracles...one for getting it in, the other for getting it back out again. You must have used that Oprah grease.
dude WRX used to be my favorite car before i got into guitars...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ im trying to get a WRX STI! but prolly end up with a 2nd gen eclipse and fix it up

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by TwoString

And about the cab transport...to the man with the WRX I say wow. I thought I could stuff a lot of crap in my car, but a 4x12 in the back seat of a WRX sounds like two miracles...one for getting it in, the other for getting it back out again. You must have used that Oprah grease.

Believe me, it wasn't easy... it just barely fit and had to roll the window down to put it in and take it out, was afraid i was gonna bust my window.
Page 1 of 2