I understand the different sounds of woods and such for an acoustic,

but I was wondering how wood on an electric guitar makes a difference to the sound if the pick ups detect the vibrations of the strings to make it in a signal for the amp?
aparently it does. but i dont really detect THAT much of a difference, especially not when pups and hardware etc come into play. Course it makes a difference though, just not as much as your amp
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Different types of wood can affect the way your strings vibrate. How, I really dunno, but it does make a slight difference. The biggest noticeable difference is in sustain.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
The heavier the wood, the more sustain you got, solid and hollowbody can affect that as well
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

It makes a big difference, especially in the timbre and feel of the notes. The pickup senses the strings' vibrations, but the string isn't vibrating in free space. The string vibrates, the rest of the guitar vibrates along with it- it would follow, then, that the characteristics of the guitar would effect the vibration of the string and therefore the final tone.
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Compare a walnut or maple guitar body to a mahogany and see the difference in tone. It does make alot of difference. When you start blending woods it gets a little blurred. A all mahogany body is very warm but put a maple laminate top on it and it brightens up.
Quote by Tackleberry
Compare a walnut or maple guitar body to a mahogany and see the difference in tone. It does make alot of difference. When you start blending woods it gets a little blurred. A all mahogany body is very warm but put a maple laminate top on it and it brightens up.

Agreed. I see a noticable difference in Mahogany bodies. You should go to a guitar store nearby and see what we mean

Keep on rockin'. Good luck!