Hey, Hope this is the right place to post this .

But ye I'm doing lots of theory and practical with a teacher and basically I've learnt Blue Monk and I'm busy with playing the Giant Steps in a chord harmony-type way. I am always a split second behind in changing chords for that song so I was wondering if anyone can recommend and/or provide some links to maybe the sheet music or tabs to any Jazz Standards you think I should learn, so that I can become more familiar with the feel of Jazz and stuff.

Thx.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Don't know if you've done it or not yet but Autumn Leaves Is pretty easy.
If you search Standard of The Month on this site theres a dissection of the song.
Buy a real book, and learn whatever tunes you fancy out of that. That being said Autumn Leaves is the "standard" standard. Blue Boss is also an awesome tune.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Buy a real book, and learn whatever tunes you fancy out of that. That being said Autumn Leaves is the "standard" standard. Blue Boss is also an awesome tune.

I totally, agree. To add to this I have to say that both Autumn Leaves and Blue Bossa would be a much better place to start for someone beginning to learn jazz. Playing Giant Steps up to speed is not practical for a beginner, its much too difficult.
* learning the chord melody is doable, but to solo up to speed.... thats for more advanced players.

Definately get a real book, and have someone thats an experienced jazz player guide you through the songs that are appropriate for you.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by sinan90

Ya.

And, start learning chords and their inversions and voicings. Ideally, you should be able to play a version of any chord within a couple of frets of your current position, which naturally yields many benefits. You can change the chord faster with a minimum amount of movement, and you also won't have to stare at the fretboard to know where you're going, and can actually look at the music.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
The way I look at this is, learn to solo over major and minor II-V-I progressions.
Do a lot of that. There's so much you can learn about jazz with JUST that one
progression. If you don't sound good over that in your sleep, you're not going to
know what you're doing with anything more complex.
O ok cool. Ye I can already play all the chords of the Major 7th harmony in all practical voicings.
The II-V-I progressions were all included at a former stage where I learnt all 5 modes of the Blues scales, major 7th arpeggios etc etc so I can do that (though I still practice it to get better obviously). I just don't know what songs to learn because I learn quicker if I play and listen to a song, but I will try out Autumn Leaves.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.