Hey guys,

I bought an Ibanez Thermion about 3 months ago, and about 2 weeks ago it just died....on the spot......Took it to get repaired and found it was only a blown fuse......

13 days ago I bought a peavey 6505 and halfway through a song at practice it also just died....The odd thing is that it was in a power board - with 4 sockets. It hd my amp, my other guitarists amp, and his floorboard all being powered through the same board......My amp died and all his stuff is perfect.....And it was halfway in a song - not when it was first turned on.....

I'm really ****ty about losing two amps - what the hell went wrong? Did I hook it up to the cab wrong? 2 power surges? What????? Am I just really unlucky? Or something I don't know about?

I've heard I should get a surge protector, but will that alter the tone of my amp? I'm gonna be without my peavey for 3 weeks....so I can't afford for this to happen again....

aaaargh.........

Anyone else had this happen to them?

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
a surge protector is just a plug splitter thing, with a surge protection unit...im running all the electrical equipment in my room at the moment on a couple of them to no adverse effects (that includes my amps)...so i very much doubt that it will affect your tone...
Thanks mate,

it's just that I can't afford to have any more amps blowing up on me....And if it's more than a fuse then I'm stuffed.....

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
hmm im thinking it COULD be some fault of your own.
maybe dodgey leads you have?
maybe cab?
cause i mean that would be the ****test luck having two amps blow on ya.

ohh and does that ibanez thermion stand up to the 6505 at all?
or does the 6505 destroy it to pieces.

i was thinking of buying one but decided to buy my tsl instead as i liked its tones much more than the ibanez.
Quote by wongacaster
i mean that would be the ****test luck having two amps blow on ya.

its not cool to get head from amps...lol. but yea somethigns definitely not right, amps shouldnt break that easily. if it's not ur fault see if u can use ur warranty
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
^True. Completely.
Yeah, maybe inspect if you had bad leads or whatnot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Hm.

Maybe it could be something to do with voltage maybe? too much going into the amp.

Are you sure the peavey was running at standard voltage?
There are a few things you can check.

Make sure the ohms are matching up correctly
Make sure you are using a speaker cable for the head output
Tubes can blow at any time, I'd check to see if you had any bad power/preamp tubes

A surge protector is a good idea for leaving your amps plugged in, not because of the power from the wall, but say your house gets hit by lightning or something of the sort.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would have to say it could be your fault directly or indirectly. You need to make sure your head and cab have the same impedance or the cab is of greater impedance, otherwise your **** will fry. If your cabinet has a wiring problem or a dissconcted/broken cable anywhere that could cause its impedance to change and screw you up too, and you really would have no way of knowing. if your impedances seem to be correct I would rip your cab apart.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Unless unaviodable I always have my head running into its own power socket on the wall, not multiadapters unless it needs an extension or something and even then only have the one amp plugged into it.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
i hate my surge protector. it sucks mass tone. i never use that piece of ****.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^lol i don't know why, but my BJ gets ****ty sound out of my surge protector. like... more treble loss than 2 week old strings.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I have both amps up correctly in terms of impedence - I run them both in stereo with 2 8 ohm outputs - should I try running the heads in mono??

I'll try it's own power supply, but it was odd that my amp fried and all his stuff was fine....

I had no idea that bad cables could blow a head....I inspected my cables today and mboth of them had bent inputs.....I have no idea how, but could that have caused it?? I just use regular instrument cables for the connections.....

I hope its not the cab - its brand new and its never been beaten up or knoecked or anything.....

to the guy who asked - the ibanez is much more of an all rounder amp - whereas the peavey has a greater focus on gain. Saying that, the ibanez is a class below the peavey.....It feels and sounds cheap....it doesnt break up and behave like a tube amp...the peavey sounds natural but the ibanez sounds more like a solid state amp.....The cleans are better (marginally I'll add.......) Its just not up to par with the ibanez.....It's alright - but nothing special.....

Cheers for all the replies everyone, I'll get new speaker leads and run it to its own socket from now on.

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by danastasi
I had no idea that bad cables could blow a head....I inspected my cables today and mboth of them had bent inputs.....I have no idea how, but could that have caused it?? I just use regular instrument cables for the connections.....

that's a big "no no". Instrument cable is shielded, and is meant to carry instrument level passive signals over a very small core conductor. Speaker cable is unshielded, much heavier gauge wire, and meant to carry high current that powers speaker drivers. If that cable fails, you have a no impedance load situation, which is deadly for tube amps.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
(EDIT - the ibanez is not up to par with the peavey.......)

Thanks Erock - After I get my amps fixed, I'll go and get speaker cable then.....You think that's why they both died?

Should I try the amps in mono rather than stereo? Would that make a difference?

This happen to anyone else????

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by danastasi
Thanks Erock - After I get my amps fixed, I'll go and get speaker cable then.....You think that's why they both died?

well, if for some reason the cable lost connection at any time, that would be like running your head with no cabinet connected. You are pumping a lot of current thru a tiny little wire, a lot more resistance, so it generates heat. The core is very thin, and can heat up and melt plastic to short with the shielding, melt solder connections, fail completely, etc... If you've ever taken apart instrument cable, even the most expensive instrument cable still has a very thin core conductor.

Should I try the amps in mono rather than stereo? Would that make a difference?

what do you mean by stereo? Do you mean running 2 amps at once with an A/B/Y, or are you talking about connecting 2x speaker outputs on each head, to the 2 x stereo input jacks on one cab?

On almost every head I've seen, and I'm pretty sure on your heads too, the 2 x speaker output jacks are in parallel. If you are running each one, to separate 8 ohm stereo jacks on your cab, your amp is actually seeing a load of 4ohms. If you had your heads set on 8ohm with this config, you would be mismatching impedance, which in this case can stress your tranny and tubes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Nov 1, 2007,
was your guitarists pedalboard also a powerboard which he ran into the other powerboard or did he just use a daisychain thingy for his pedal, because you should never, ever run a powerboard into another one. Although it would probably through the houses fuse or bugger up something else than just your amp. Either way, never run a powerboard into another powerboard.
Its not really the shielding thats the difference its the impedance. Guitar cables are high impedance which is resistance to the electric flowing. A speaker cable is low or no impedance which means high flow. Think of it as a guitar cable would choke the power going to your speakers. And more resistance means heat which after a little lime would waste the cable and break the connection. And a non loaded tube amp is a big no no.
Just like with everything in the world ya get what you pay for. Get a well made sure protector and save yourself the sorrow of losing amp after amp
Quote by SmithShred
Just like with everything in the world ya get what you pay for. Get a well made sure protector and save yourself the sorrow of losing amp after amp

why bump a 6 month old thread?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.