Do you need a certain type of strings to put ur guitar in drop c? i have .009 to .042 i no thats to thin, i was wondering if maybe .010 you could put it in drop c?

thanks,
no you dont need certain strings
i have a .009 gage guitar
and a .010 gauge and play them both in C
yeah im pretty sure the guage doesnt matter. although a thicker gauge is probably recommended for a tuning like that. with a 9 gauge your strings will tend to have a little more slack then with a thicker string
general rule of thumb is lower the tuning, heavier the gauge, imo you really don't have to go heavier than .011s
Quote by kris323
no you dont need certain strings
i have a .009 gage guitar
and a .010 gauge and play them both in C

Yes...

But if you play it with a 0.09 gauge guitar the slack on about half of your strings (especially your low E) is annoying. Definately go higher.

Quote by mr barnicals
just take to a guitar shop and as them to set it up in the tuning u want. cuz even if u have the right strings ur set up will be screwed.

You're a dumbass.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
ah thanks iSlash, i got .010 put on my guitar now, will prob get .11s when these break. i have this tuner its an ashton one for electric guitar right. i dont no the exact name i left it at my G teachers house. But when i go to tune it to drop c. it goes from b to d and misses c. u can set it to chromatic or guitar. i set it to guitar and it just skips c. what should i do? is it the tuner?
u can just use fret a note on any of the other strings that rings out to any note you want and then just match the pitch to that...
BTW when you change the 9s to 10s did u change any setup at all ? im going to do that too soon, but if i have to pay extra to get it set-up, il just wait til i get my new guitar and then have them set-up the new guitar with the strings.
nah not really, my G teacher just adjusted the bridge cause when i bought it, it was like not put on properly. and the 6th string was way outa tune no matter what.
Quote by jmorr212
ah thanks iSlash, i got .010 put on my guitar now, will prob get .11s when these break. i have this tuner its an ashton one for electric guitar right. i dont no the exact name i left it at my G teachers house. But when i go to tune it to drop c. it goes from b to d and misses c. u can set it to chromatic or guitar. i set it to guitar and it just skips c. what should i do? is it the tuner?

Its the tuner. You should set it to chromatic, because on guitar settings I assume it only shows the notes that are standing tuning for the guitar. So set it to chromatic and just let it drop to C
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
i use .11s for my guitar.. used to play in standard with them all the time, but now i mostly play in drop c or drop b.
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
lol its weird having thicker strings at makes it weird doing harmonics now.
Me personally, I think if you play a lot in drop tuning, .10 and 11. gauges are undefeated.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0