Okay, heres my situation.

I have been playing for two years and im loving playing the guitar, I would like to continue playing for many years. Right now i am playing a Fender Squier starter pack guitar through the amp it came with... however as you would expect, I want a new guitar..

A guitar a have had in my mind for about 2 months now is the Epiphone SG G-400.

So here i am asking UG if its a guitar that has good quality tone, worth it, just an all round good guitar for a second guitar you know.

Then youve got my amp, OBVISOULY i want a new one.. Very undecided at the moment.. Want something with some good power but not too much.. Nothing over $600 and has good quality.

I would greately appriciate it if you comment on my guitar selection and give me some ideas for an amp.

Cheers.

POST AWAY!
what's your guitar budget?

Playing styles/genres?

Why do people ask question like this with no info?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Guitar budget.. $700

My playing ranges from many different things.. Red Hot Chilli Peppers to Mettalica to Wolfmother to Guns N Roses.. Mostly Classic Rock and Alternative, Bit of metal.
Alright, well I assume you mean USD?

A G-400 is only 300. . .

You can find a used Gibson SG Standard for that much.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
G400s aren't *bad*.

They just aren't good.

My first guitar was a G400, and I ended up giving it to a buddy after 9 months. The neck is pretty cozy, but the electronics and pickups are sub par and the body is just a little too light for my tastes.

The Schecter Omen 6 would be a better choice, in my opinion.

Smooth neck, decent pickups, pretty resonant body. Definitely a solid guitar for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by UrMomsMom
or by the epi sg and new amp while ur at it

thats the wayto go.

i had the cherry G-400, anf it was really nice, i liked the neck, paint, (the pickups arent that bad). this is an excelent choice. very versatile
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
If your budget for guitar alone is $700 then you could just get the Gibson SG with the faded finish. I have the faded finish Flying V and it is beautiful. However, if your budget is $700 total then I would suggest getting the G-400 for now, and looking for a good amp.

Good luck!
Some Gear:
Johnson acoustic electric
Schecter Damien 6
Gibson Faded Flying V
Big Muff, Crybaby 535Q, Metal Muff, Phase 90, Boss Equalizer, Boss Tuner
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
I got one as my first electric, god knows why! I'm not a fan of playing it, the neck is too heavy and you feel as if you are holding it up while trying to play, and it's got a very fat sound that I don't like. It does feel nice tho, aside from that, the frets ere really nice and the finish is perfect. I stuck shiny stars to mine. and took the pick-guard off.

I'd not buy another one tho, or really recommend it. I'm sure you could get a better sound of it than I manage, I don't really try, I use my Epi Dot instead.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"