Depends what you're playing. The 800 is a lot more versatile and in my opinion, much smoother. The 900 can deliver some really cool sounds though. It's great for a strong top end 'cut' for bass driven music like funk and indie rock and can pull some sexy lead tones for classic rock music. It's a lot stronger on the clean settings that overdriven because the harder you push it, the more brittle the top end becomes so it's a no-no for metal.

Basically it's a marshall that sounds like it swallowed a fender twin (that's just how I'd descrive it though so don't go bitching to me if you disagree). A lot of the bands I've recorded (professional studio engineer) that have used 900s live, I've recorded using Fender Twins or Hot Rods and pulled results more suited to their music but it's an amp that had delivered some sexy tones for me on many occasions.

So for me it's a yay, but only if you play the right type of music for it.
really if you can afford it get the 800, 900, 1000, 2000... they are all good. I have the 800 myself with a 1960A cabinet
Last edited by dutch5367 at Oct 31, 2007,
Depends what kind of tone you're after. It's not an amp that gives you the classic Marshall rock tone. It's a different beast, with a much more modern sound to it. The cleans are nice, and the overdrive is nice, but it won't sound like a JCM800, Plexi, JTM45 or anything like that. You can take that as either a bad thing (if you're after those classic tones) or a good thing (if you're like me and want to be different).
I've heard the jcm 800 is better than the 900...but..

if you go on myspace or google and search for an english guy called Amor (preferably the band not his solo stuff)and listen - he uses a jsm 900 and his tone is immense
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
Quote by rock_guitargod

Depends on exactly what sound you want
Quote by dutch5367
really if you can afford it get the 800, 900, 1000, 2000... they are all good. I have the 800 myself with a 1960A cabinet

uh i dont think theres a JCM 1000 lol
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by rock_guitargod

I have both, They're equally as nice. The 800 is smoother sounding, the 900 is more edgy.

If you get a 900 with 4 12ax7s [SLX, etc] it will have a little bit more gain.

I prefer a JCM 800 with a tubescreamer and a JCM 900 with no effects.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
The 900 is the only Marshall amp I like, but you have to get the right series (4100 or 4500 I think it is). It's a little higher gain than other Marshalls and has a pretty good clean channel. The 900 could easily get an awesome metal sound with an OD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by musicfreak003
uh i dont think theres a JCM 1000 lol

hahahaha yeah that guy obviously knows a lot about amps, i would definately listen to him. I think ill order me a JCM 1000 today actually.

but what you really need to know is the 800 has crazy balls but little gain, the 900 has more gain but is sorta weak.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
JCM 900 is different because it's 6L6s rather than EL34s. It has almost Fendery cleans and pretty smooth, deeper-voiced distortion. I prefer it over the 800, personally.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
JCM 900 is different because it's 6L6s rather than EL34s. It has almost Fendery cleans and pretty smooth, deeper-voiced distortion. I prefer it over the 800, personally.

Really? Mine has EL34s in it...
Well there are three different models of JCM900s. When you say JCM900 most people think of the Dual Reverb. They were created with the new shredders in mind and Marshall's answer to the high gain modding craze. It featured a completely new schematic and design. The tone in these were very different from the old Marshalls. They are sometimes "hated" by Marshall users because they don't have the Marshall tone. Well as I said they won't give you the classic Marshall crunch, but a great high gain tone and good cleans.

The MKIII on the other hand, is an often forgotten JCM900. The name MKIII comes from the Plexi (The JTM45 being MKI, the JMPs being MKII). This was the follow up to the JCM800 2203 and 2204s. They featured two gain controls, one going from the 1-10 and one going from 11-20. It had a very classic Marshall tone, similar to that of the Plexis and JCM800 2203 and 2204s. They are like the "golden" JCM900s.

The SL-X was the replacement for the MKIII. They had more preamp gain and was made to compete with the Mesa Dual Rectos, featuring lots of gain and much more modern tone than the MKIIIs.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I think it might actually depend on the particular configuration. I know the JCM 900 head I played through had 6L6s in it.
Hi, I'm Peter
That's certainly possible. Mine's one of the Dual Reverbs (it's a 4500, I think). I really like the clean tone that the thing has - certainly good for a variety of styles.
Well you've already answered the question.

Marshall often used different power tubes depending on the country. The Plexis ad JCM800s often had KT-88s in the US and EL34s in the UK, since KT-88s were cheaper in the US. The JCM900s were loaded with 6L6s in the US and EL34s in the Uk.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I have a dual reverb and I personally really like it, it's a very unique amp. The cleans are very, very good for a marshall.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Yeah I was reading about the different models. I think somewhere down the line I'll pick one up. Since I've already got a rig, I'll see if I can just get one to try somewhere.
My favorite is the JCM 900 SLX with the extra 12ax7. Like Gabel said, these were made to compete with other higher gain amplifiers. I think its a heavier-oriented amp.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!