I need an attenuator for my JCM 800 but it is a subject I know nothing about! The speaker on my amp says 16 ohms, so i assume I need a 16 ohm attenuator, but i do not know which one to get.

It is between a THD hotplate, Marshall Power break and a Weber mass lite 100 (my amp is 50w but ive been told id need a more than 50w attenuator as the output voltage can vary and i could end up frying a 50w one)

THD hotplates are the same price as marshall power breaks here in the UK, and Weber attenuators are simply impossible to find so I would have to import, bringing the costs to a similar level, so I ask which is the best? I dont want to lose any of my amps tone, but i do want to push the marshall quite hard but attenuate it to a bedroom level. which would be the best? is the marshall one any good? as there is one on ebay i could get fairly cheap....

help is appreciated
i heard the THD's suck tone at high attenuation levels, and that the webers are simply the best.
i say go for a weber.
Get the Weber. It allows you to switch the impedance if you want to use it on another amp and it's cheaper than the Hotplate.
The THD is pretty decent, though I imagine the Weber will be even better - everything Ted makes is excellent, on the whole. But the Marshall is awful compared to the Hotplate, stay clear.

Also, consider getting a set of THD Yellowjackets which isn't quite the same as an attenuator but will greatly improve your overdriven tones at lower levels. Since they just plug into the tube socket you can easily swap them in and out for bigger gigs, as easily as an attenuator...
The Yellow Jackets would alter the tone a lot, though, wouldn't they?

Certainly more than an attenuator, yeah - though it's often an improvement, if anything!

The difference isn't all that drastic with an EL34-equipped Marshall, though it can totally transform a 6L6-driven box like a Fender/Boogie etc. If anything it's like having two different amps, which is quite useful...
Not too much difference, you say? That'd be alright, I guess. But what kind of difference are we talking about?
Quote by The red Strat.
i heard the THD's suck tone at high attenuation levels, and that the webers are simply the best.
i say go for a weber.

True.
I have a THD Hot Plate & it will suck some tone at ANY level, but more as you lower the volume. Just takes away some of the dynamics & liveliness, but the tone is smooth. Just from what I've heard about the Webers (I have not gotten to try one),
it's a more natural load for the amp, & is supposedly very, very good. I would roll the dice & try the Weber.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Some amps works well with attenuators and some don't. Also different amps prefer different attenuators. My Hotplate works well on the JCM800 but it sucks the life out of my Laney unless used on the -4dB setting. I wouldn't discount the Marshall Powerbrake all together because I heard that they can be better than the THD on some Marshall amps but I don't have any experiences with it. I just wouldn't knock it til I tried it.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
ill see if i can try any - unfortunately the weber is a risk as its an import

what are the risks of using one? if i use one that is double the wattage of my amp, but still crank it hard, will i have to change valves every 6 months? having the gain on 7, volume on 9 and master on 6 sounds nice to me, but if i always play like this might I risk blowing the amp or anything? im sure im not making sense, i have just heard many horror stories about attenuators
Using an attenuator with your amp cranked will decrease the life of your tubes, but the other components of a JCM 800 should hold up fine. Those amps are pro amps made to be run at gig volume. Even so, tubes will wear faster, but the tone is worth it to me (whether it's worth it to practice with an attenuator ALL the time is up to you).
I use my Hot Plate as a load only (no speaker) for one of my amps & run my amp's line out to a separate power amp. I only run the amp cranked like that a few hours a week at most to conserve the tubes a bit.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

well i have a v-stack pedal to get cranked sounds at a low volume... really good pedal that suprisingly works nicely with my 800, so ill probably only crank my amp a few hours a week for recording or for practices... am i looking for an annual valve change?
hmm eurotubes dont have the weber mass lite 100 anymore that leaves me with a THD hotplate or marshall power brake.... do hotplates suck that much tone? can I manage with one and still get gorgeous power amp overdrive?
Aren't you able to order direct from Weber? Also, check eBay - the things pop up on there every now and again, but last time I looked was over a month ago.
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
hmm eurotubes dont have the weber mass lite 100 anymore that leaves me with a THD hotplate or marshall power brake.... do hotplates suck that much tone? can I manage with one and still get gorgeous power amp overdrive?

I'm concerned that you'll spend a lot of money & be disappointed w/ your amp's tone & dynamics, but as someone stated earlier, different amps respond to attenuation differently. My old '79 Marshall Super Lead lost a lot of dynamics when using the old Altair attenuator (but the sound was creamy smooth), & the Hot Plate seems to have a similar effect on my current amps, which is OK for some situations. Definitely try out a Hot Plate if you can before you buy one. I wouldn't give up on the Weber so quickly.

Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard