Hey guys,

I bought a les paul studio about a month and a half ago. Beautiful guitar but lately I've got excessive string buzz on the 1st and 2nd frets. Everywhere else if fine.

I'm reluctant to change the action (it's how I like it which coincidentally is the factory "setting"), although if that's the solution then so be it.

Is it perhaps because the strings have lost their newness or is it something more sinister?

Any help would be appreciated, I just want my guitar back
Did you try changing the strings? A month and a half is an awful long time to go without a string change.
Thing is I've never had a problem like that with one of my guitars before. I normally give it two months or so, I don't gig or anything.
I'll definitely try changing them now though. Just looking for reassurance that it's not something bad that's happened to my guitar. One of my friends suggested the neck is warped which for a 2 month old guitar would annoy most people.
Thanks for the reply
I had the same problem with my epiphone LP. The fret wire used is really soft. So wears down pretty fast. And the necks vary alot in straightness. I replaced the fret in mine with stainless and leveled it really good. Plays alot better than it did out of the box.
That's the kinda thing I was afraid of. Surely that's Gibson's problem though i.e. they could do that under warranty right?
I'll try changing the strings first I think but yeah it could well be a dodgy worn fret I guess...
Maybe loosen your truss rod?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Yea I did the adjust everything a bunch of times and it would be ok a few days. The wound strings were grinding down the frets even where I wasnt fretting them just from the strings vibrating. Yea I got a hold of the factory about it they said send it back and we will look at it. But it was going to cost me money to ship it to them and how long with out my guitar so they could put the same fret wire back in it. Its just the state of things now. Cheap and easy is the norm. For the cost of a fret job I bought the tools to do it myself. The bound fret board makes it alot less fun to do. And the fret wire to do one guitar in stainless costs about 10 bucks. Its why now if I want a new guitar I just build one.
I don't think I'm gonna mess with the truss rod, but thanks.
Got some advice from a guitar shop yesterday. "Yeah we'll fix it for you, but we'll want £55 for it"
hmmm, nah, that's why i got a warranty
Wait... you don't want to mess with the trussrod, instead you'll just change the fretwire on a binded neck, yourself?

Edit: Oh wait, I messed up on names. I thought Metalfan first stated he wanted to refret the binded neck, then posted he doesn't want to mess with the trussrod. Never mind!
Last edited by Y00p at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by Y00p
Wait... you don't want to mess with the trussrod, instead you'll just change the fretwire on a binded neck, yourself?

Edit: Oh wait, I messed up on names. I thought Metalfan first stated he wanted to refret the binded neck, then posted he doesn't want to mess with the trussrod. Never mind!

no worries
my guitar buzzes like all hell for the first couple of strings.. but you wouldn't even know i did unless i played without my amp
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I had that same problem with my Les Paul, but raising the strings, etc... fixed it. Didn't take any major work. Also (this is probably stupid, but some people over look it) when you put strings on, do you clip the excess strings at the end of the headstock? Or leave them on, seems that once in a while when I leave mine on they end up rubbing other strings.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
^^^ Ouch.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
I always cut the ends off. Sadly it doesn't appear to be that simple. Got some new ernie balls, see what they do when i am able to steal some pliers off my friend...
Sounds like the wood is just settling in. May need a tweak of the truss rod.
^yeppers.

fret the Low E first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

does the string lay on the fretwire there?

if not on it then how close?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
there's a fraction of a millimetre inbetween the string and fretboard when fretting as you said. There's virtually no gap so I guess you could even say it's laying on the fretwires at around 6-9 ish...
change the strings...my guitar is like that now
exept i got buzz on the 5-8 frets
and ive had my strings on my guitar for about 2 months immma buy new stings this weekend
well, sounds like you need some more gap there. you should be able to just about get a credit card in that space.

anyway, if you want to be talked thru a small adjustment let me know.

^yes, you can also change ur strings for a gauge that's one unit heavier. swapping one string at a time, that could give you the bend that you need without adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

hmmm, re-strung it but no difference.

Gonna get truss rod looked at and perhaps see what Gibson will do under warranty if still no improvement.

This was my first post/thread so thanks to everybody who took the time to post and try to help me out, much appreciated.

P.s. Just realised that jj1565 posted. Thanks, I'll let you know how I get if I need some help, thanks for the offer.
Last edited by Metalfan2007 at Nov 4, 2007,
no problem, ill check back if you repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62