Can someone help me to understand the difference between the words "assume" and "presume"? As far as I can see in the dictionary they're pretty much the same. So what's the difference, if there is one?

Many thanks.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
There's no appreciable difference between the words. Actually, the definition of presume at www.dictionary.com is "take for granted, assume, or suppose." So, they're pretty much completely synonymous.
Hi, I'm Peter
To assume is to take something for granted without proof. Presume can be taken as a synonym of assume, but it can also mean to act without forethought (being presumptuous) or to take something as granted with a modicum of existing proof (i.e. if you're meeting a friend who has notoriously poor time keeping, you can presume they'll be late.)
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Yes, you've come to the right place if you're looking for professional english speakers

I think presume is like assume, only you've got less proof for it, a more bold, presumptious approach. Or maybe it's the other way around

Go to www.google.com and type in define: assume and then define: presume to see what I'm trying to say.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You can also assume they'll be late. And, according again to dictionary.com, the first definition for assume is:

1. to take for granted or without proof; suppose; postulate; posit

So, yeah, they're synonymous. You're trying to make a distinction where one pretty much doesn't exist.
Hi, I'm Peter
presume - take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof

assume - take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
You can presume to assume too, that always fucks me over...
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by Kensai
Yes, you've come to the right place if you're looking for professional english speakers

I think presume is like assume, only you've got less proof for it, a more bold, presumptious approach. Or maybe it's the other way around

Go to www.google.com and type in define: assume and then define: presume to see what I'm trying to say.

Thats a pretty good definition.
Quote by Dirk Gently
You can also assume they'll be late. And, according again to dictionary.com, the first definition for assume is:

1. to take for granted or without proof; suppose; postulate; posit

So, yeah, they're synonymous. You're trying to make a distinction where one pretty much doesn't exist.

That's only the first definition. The word presume has functions which 'assume' doesn't extend to; my example was poor, but the third or fourth definition is exemplified by 'a restaurant bill presumes food', for which assume wouldn't work.

So there is a distinction, just a very pedantic one. The English language is incredibly cluttered and convoluted.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
^ Right, but insofar as assuming is related to presuming, they're synonymous. No one would ever say "He presumed the office of President after his predecessor died."
Hi, I'm Peter
When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

...I've watched too much 8 Simple Rules
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
^Beat me to what?

>_>
<_<

Nothing to see here...
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
^

I knew I should've printscreened that while I had the chance!
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jaymz2K
*sigh* It's no use. Frenchy would've invaded your computer and deleted it.
He's obviously omnipotent.

If by omnipotent you mean Scottish, then yes, yes he is.