Just wanted to say hello! I'm 41 years old and feel like an old man compared to some of you that have posted. I'm getting ready to get my first electric guitar (along with lessons) and don't have much to spend ($600). I like all kinds of music; rock, blues, bluegrass etc. I was looking at a Schecter PT Fastback, is this a good choice for the money and can you play all kinds of music on this guitar? If it's not, please recommend something. Thank you!

Seahorse
Last edited by Seahorse at Oct 31, 2007,
Welcome! I'm sure it will get the job done.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Yea that guitar will be great. You might also want to try a Fender Telecaster ---the schecter is a telecaster copy, but the schecter comes with 2 humbuckers, which are have a thicker heavier tone (mostly for metal), while the Fender Telecaster has single coils, which have thinner sharper tone- better sounding for blues and country and alot of rock IMO)

Fender has some good models for under 600, but ide go try them out at a guitar store, whether you get a Tele or the Schecter your not gonna be disappointed. Just get what feels better.
Next thing you'll need is an amp, make sure to post here before you buy, otherwise you might be stuck with something crappy.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Of course, you might want something cheaper if you dont have an amp. Id Suggest a Cruiser CJ - 400 by Crafter. Cheap (like, $250), Plays about anything and you could get a decent amp with it. 2 humbuckers and a single coil.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
You don't REALLY need lessons though. Unless you desperately need help. =/
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Welcome to UG

*moved to somewhere where people know about guitars*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Is that budget just for the guitar or for the amp + guitar?

FYI - Amp > guitar. Spend more on it.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Thanks for the welcome and all the replies! That price is for the guitar only. I plan on taking lessons for a couple of months and having my wife get me an amp for Christmas. I explained to the guy at the local guitar store what type of music I like (don't care much for heavy metal) and he recommended the Fastback. He was pushing it so hard I thought I should get some advice. I would probably be playing more Johnny Cash than anything, should I just stick to an acoustic? Thanks
^Don't trust guitar store employees, they're all poor and on commission.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
^ truth.

Maybe you can hunt for a thinline telecaster for that price?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
But Schecters are beautiful guitars. What you could do is take along a friend who knows a thing or two about guitars and ask him to check out the Fastback for you - in terms of sound and such. Plus, each player has a different preference for guitar necks - so hold the guitar in your hands as if you were playing it, and see if the neck feels comfortable in your hands. Thats really important. Good luck on your journey to becoming a guitar player!
Schecter C-1 Artist Series Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX30
Line6 PODXT Live
Randall VMAX 30
ummm so what are you playing it on if you dont have an amp? i guess you can kinda hear it... just...
But IMO you should really check out the tele, based on the music that you want to play maybe one of those mexican teles ? But you really need to hold it on your hands... i made the mistake when letting someone else buy me a guitar... it was my first guitar and still my only one so i guess lesson learned...
The PT's are nice, but in all honesty you might as well just go for a Mexi telecaster, unless there's something about the PT you really like. From my experience the neck will be a little slimmer on a tele.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think the PT Fastback is a cool little guitar; I really dig the filtertron-esque neck pickup.

I think it'd suit your playstyle.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Seahorse
I would probably be playing more Johnny Cash than anything, should I just stick to an acoustic? Thanks

If that is mostly what you want to play, then I would get an acoustic, yes. That's not to say you can't play that music on an electric, but there is just something to be said for flat picking on an acoustic guitar.