I'm just finishing my defretting on a bass (ill post some pics :-) and i was wondering what good songs there are out there to learn that require a fretless bass...or songs that sound better fretless! Thanks
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Teen Town!

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
New York Minute- Don Henley/The Eagles

I dare you
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Andy, what level are you looking for easy? Intermediate? Musical genre?

Jaco Pastorius is always a good goldmine for fretless, as is some of Primus' stuff (Mary the Ice Cube comes to mind..). But the great thing about fretless is that you can take songs you already know and put a new sound spin on them by playing them on the ol' fretless bass. It also makes the transition and intonation curve a little less step because you already have the muscle memory of how to "play" those songs.

And of course, jazz music is a wonderful place to work those fretless skills. Miles Davis' songs have some really distinctive and fun bass lines that can be worked and improv'd to infinite degrees on a fretless.
Well I'm pretty much intermediate + even though a few easy would be ok. Thanks for the songs so far though!!!!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Day of the Baphomets -The Mars Volta

Really, nearly every Mars Volta song translates well onto fretless...regardless of how it was recorded.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
the philosopher by Death.

theres a cool part in the song where steve digiorgio does some slides up the strings with the fretless, sounds cool. not to mention the song has more than 3 bass solos.
Until it Sleeps by Metallica

Also that Coolio song from the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. I love that bass line. It does require you do tune down or use a 5er.
Last edited by Smidgelton at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by Sly Taco
the widow- mars volta

SECONDED

Just learned this one-- "Screen Kiss" by Thomas Dolby. Matthew Seligman's bass line is very lush in that song.
Tremor Christ-Pearl Jam
Nothing As It Seems-Pearl Jam

A lot of Pearl Jam songs, actually.
The.
I like how IHATECHILDREN is a child himself.

If you're feeling like a challenge then you could get some Mingus tabs.
"Lack of Comprehension" by Death. Steve DiGiorgio is a fretless metal god.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Malignant Narcissism by Rush
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
Quote by Your41Plague12
"Lack of Comprehension" by Death. Steve DiGiorgio is a fretless metal god.

Agreed
Primus...... Many good songs there........Fancy band and Fearless flying frog brigade is another good place to look...... other wise, Jaco and wooten have some pritty good find....

Bass: Jackson Cb20 Concert
Amp: Crate BT 1000
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Tremor Christ-Pearl Jam
Nothing As It Seems-Pearl Jam

A lot of Pearl Jam songs, actually.

Oh yeah...Pearl Jam is another one of those fretless goldmines. The guy does a lot of fretless work. Black, while not the most engaging bassline, has great potential for jamming
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
jazzjazzjazzjazzjazz!!!!!!!! lots of jazz.

Nothing beats that mellow tone during a jazz solo. A fretless bass has almost infinite possibilities as far as notes go. Same with tone. So, there are plenty of ways to play like yourself. The best way to express yourself in that way can be through jazz, and I just feel like personally, I can express myself better through jazz. Between the solos and the lines, watching a jazz musician for less than a minute can tell you a great deal about themselves as musicians.

lol, i got sidetracked a little there.

basically, fretless bass is more individual than fretted in many ways, so experiment! find lines you like.

Although, Claypool and Jaco give you two extreme fretless styles. Look into the Jaco Pastorius Big Band project. Lots of great lines there. Also, fretless gives funk bass a groove unreachable by a fretted bass. Everything from Herbie Hancock to Sly and the FS.

Experiment! have fun.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.